Jim's Tuesday cyclocross practice...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've finally finalized a spot and course to do a weekly 'cross practice. We will meet at Mountain Park and then ride over to where the course is (about 5 minutes away by bike). Meet at 5:30pm. We will do a warm-up and go over the course (layout and technique) then do short 4 lap mini-races which will last 12-15 minutes, rest, and do another set. We will again work on technique/trouble-spots and do maybe one last slightly longer mini-race. Anyone is welcome to join, even if you don't have a cross bike. Ride at your own pace, no one can get dropped or lost on such a short loop:D

map of the course here...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2169444

meet here, once you enter the park, stay right and park in that lot...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=117190616594574049228.00000111dda30f1826fce

Hope to see everyone out there, the season is just around the corner:D

-Jim.

RNG1

Jim, I couldn't find the other thread regarding the cyclocross bike info. Sorry if this is off topic, how useful or not useful is the second set of brake levers, it seems some bikes have em and some don't. Also to get back to topic, this place is a good hour+ from me but I still may show up when I can but is there any scene for cyclocross in or near Bergen county that you know of? Couldn't find anything by googling. Thanks.

Steve Vai

Most guys don't run those little levers, when you use proper dismount technique
your hands aren't in that position and for most of your riding you'll be in the hoods. Some guys do however switch the brakes around so while dismounting they can slow using the rear brake with your right hand. But once again, practice proper technique instead of changing the bike around.

How far are you from the State Fairgrounds in Augusta? They have a cross race and practice up there every week. May be something to look into.

-Jim.

RNG1

How far are you from the State Fairgrounds in Augusta? They have a cross race and practice up there every week. May be something to look into.

-Jim.

I checked that out but that is much further from me although they have a lot going on based on last years schedule and may be worth going for races. I'm a lot further east and north (only about 10 minutes from the NYS border in Bergen county). I should check with either Westwood cycles or Cyclesport in Park Ridge to find out where the action is closer to me. Let me know if you hear of anything though and thanks for the info.

Steve Vai

8/15/08...

I'll be out after work doing some laps at the fields if anyone would like to join. I should be in Mountain Park by 6:30pm...Let me know if your coming so I know to look for you...

-Jim.

Steve Vai

8/26/08...

I'm a little beat up from Allamuchy still, but 'cross practice is ON!! Come and take this once in a lifetime opportunity to hand me my ass on a platter:D This time we will stay in Mountain Park the whole time. See you out there!!

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Cancelled from here out...

Spent the afternoon doing my normal solo cross workout. There doesn't seem to be enough interest in this ride so I'm not doing it anymore and will go back to my normally scheduled training routine. See you at the races:D

-Jim.

Top Bottom