Single Speed Manufactures

Rogers

I want to build/buy a single speed but don't want to spend a whole lot of $'s. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what manufactures are making reasonably priced quality single speeds.

Thanks

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've seen On Ones frames for less than $200 online. And Zoller mentioned a local shop selling a Jamis 29er SS complete for $500. GF Rigs come in around $800 too I think. And Jenson had some Voodoo completes for under a grand.

walter

Fourth Party
Haro, Redline, Jamis, On one, Raleigh, GT all make good quality inexpensive single speeds. Granted they will probably all be rigid but thats the deal. If you want something specced a little better, expect to pay more obviously or check the want adds and Ebay.

I'm not a fan of buying bikes over the world wide web but someone is selling Motobecane bikes on Ebay dirt cheap.

I would still strongly suggest trying your local shop first.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I've seen On Ones frames for less than $200 online. And Zoller mentioned a local shop selling a Jamis 29er SS complete for $500. GF Rigs come in around $800 too I think. And Jenson had some Voodoo completes for under a grand.

GF Rigs msrp is $1429.

BiknBen

I've never heard of SE Racing, but it looks like they are mainly a BMX company, even new it's less than $500.

I have an SE Racing bike in my stable. It's a junior sized BMX bike for my kids. It seems solid. SE bikes is an off-shoot of Fuji Bikes. I'm not sure how they are associated but they share the same address in Philly.

I have to say that I don't like that SE bike on Craig'slist. 29er hoops without disk brakes? Have fun trying to slow that thing down. Upgrading to discs will cost more than the bike.

Last edited:

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i just picked up an 08 rig for 1200, but if you get something rigid you will be under 1000 easy

Rogers

Thanks

Thanks for the posts. I thinking somewhere around 1,500 or less. Any thoughts on the FELT SS?

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks for the posts. I thinking somewhere around 1,500 or less. Any thoughts on the FELT SS?

No exp. with Felt but the Fisher Rig on paper is about $150 less and comes with a Fox fork. The cannondale single speed is also in that range as well as a host of others. Compare specs, see what you like and go from there. $1500 is a great range and should get you a great bike.

vanseggern1

Thanks for the posts. I thinking somewhere around 1,500 or less.

You can have a Surly Karate Monkey 29er built for that price or less (or more) depending on what components you choose. And to Ben's point, definitely go with the disc brakes. Email geoff@martysreliable.com and he can help you out. I had one built a few months ago at Marty's and absolutely love it. It's a steel frame, which I think you'll appreciate more than an aluminum frame like the Rig or Cannondale IMO.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Rig...

If you have the loot the Rig would be an awesome pick. Another upside to the Rig, if you decide you don't like SS (or decide you actually want to go fast;)) you can throw gears on it and you didn't waste your money because it's the same frame as the Paragon with an ECC BB. Plus as Waltizzle mentioned, it comes with a Fox F29, which IMO is the greatest fork ever made, ever:D

-Jim.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
If you have the loot the Rig would be an awesome pick. Another upside to the Rig, if you decide you don't like SS (or decide you actually want to go fast;)) you can throw gears on it and you didn't waste your money because it's the same frame as the Paragon with an ECC BB. Plus as Waltizzle mentioned, it comes with a Fox F29, which IMO is the greatest fork ever made, ever:D

-Jim.

This is only true for the 2008+ Rig, right? The only way you could put gears on my '07 is if you used and axle mount rear derailleur (e.g. Hone)...no hangar or provision to put one on I can see.

keithsly

I want to build/buy a single speed but don't want to spend a whole lot of $'s. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what manufactures are making reasonably priced quality single speeds.

Thanks

My advice would be this very simply put.....

If you have a hardtail which you rarely use right now that's your singlespeed and first figure out if your gonna dig it ... That's what I did about 10 years ago... How do you do it ?? Very simple !!

1. Go get yourself a Surly Singeator

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/singleator_pop.html

2. Strip all that Fancy Fancy Geared Stuff off your bike (derailers, chain rings, cables... you name it)

3. Put that 34 tooth chain ring on your cranks.

4. Find yourself a Cassette in decent shape and pick out your rear gear.... (2 to 1 is a good place to start .... 34 x 17 is usually standard) and now comes the part where you have to line up your front and rear cog

5. Go out and get yourself some spacers.... Steering Tube spacers do the trick... try to get the wider ones as the really thin ones may over lap one another). Use the spacers to line the cog to the front and rear by putting the on the HUB..

6. Match your chain length to the gearing and then apply the singleator to your chain...

7. Go RIDE !!!

The beautiful thing about this is if you like being a SSer then you can make the jump and take your time and buy a bike you'll really dig, and then you can sell off the old bike just slap all that gearing crap back on it !!

I have a 2001 Bianchi CUSS (that's my only MTB bike now too) :rolleyes:and love it !! I've had it since 2001 and have not had do much repairing to it in 7 years ....... But I have put my fork and my Chris King wheels on it !!

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Chris....I think Brian just bought one at Kendafest. You should ride his and see if you like !

No one rides my baby but me!;) I bought a demo felt 29er but it has gears,.... for now. I do really dig my Bianchi Muss (rigid ss came as a 32x16 that I have changed to a 32x18 for use at Hartshorne and Huber.) and it cost around 850.00. I am seriously considering a shock for it though since I don't get to ride as often I would like, so when I do get out it tends to run into the 3 or 4 hour range. You can get a good deal on On One frames, but everyone I know who has a Binchi likes it.

Top Bottom