SS bandwagon

ellbiddy

I've been riding more and more lately and the more I do ride the more I realize that I shift only when I'm really tired or picked a crummy line or something so I've been thinking of trying the SS thing as it'll surely get me moving a little better (eventually, I hope ;) and all I'll have to worry about is what's in front of me. So from looking around there's two real groups out there, the ones who look to a SS as a super cheap hack to get you out there and the others who seem to blow all the $$$ on top of the line stuff for their SS bikes (specifically designed frames, carbon flip-flap-yohoo-whatever-the-heck all over their bikes).

I'm not in a position to blow a ton of money on a specifically SS designed biked with all the perks, but at the same time I don't want it to be some 1980's 40 pound monster or anything ;) So I was wondering if any of you guys had any input on the subject, good cheap frames maybe, or general insight on the topic.

Thanks to Glancing Aft for donating a chain tensioner, I'll have my first SS as a road bike with a custom frame I built out of CF, but I'm not doing that again for a while (the next one is going to have a lot of prefab testing) and I wouldn't trust anything I made on the trails lest it splinter and stab me to death. So I'm catching the bug I just need to help to know which way to head

BiknBen

The great thing about SS is that the price of entry is significantly lower. The Haro Mary is probably in the $850 range. I rode and even race on a stock Mary last year. It it priced like an entry-level bike but the frame and parts spec is solid.

Many companies have similar configurations. Without a geared drive train, you have money to spend elsewhere. Better frame, fork, wheels perhaps.

ellbiddy

I took a look at the haro website and it looks like it comes with a rigid fork, how do those ride? I haven't been on one since I was a kid ramming my bikes into snow piles hah

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i rode the mary rigid for a year and a half all over the place up north...mahlon, kvsp, deer park, LM, the tourne...and while it does force you to slow down a little and pick better lines, its certainly do able. the only reason (well, two reasons, actually) that i went to reba were b/c 1) i got an unreal deal on it and 2) i crashed at the KVSP race and bent my rigid fork.

like ben said, you don't have to blow a ton of cash on it. i rode the bike full-on stock (with the mary bar) for nine months before i started messing around with things. now...well...i have a disease and it's call upgrade-its. it's catchy so be careful. :D

walter

Fourth Party
You already have a descent hardtail dont you? You could simply buy an Eno hub, or even cheaper use a tensioner.

I, as well as Jake, Ben, ArmyofFred and a ton of others ride a Haro Mary. I still ride it rigid but with a carbon fork. I think it was about $800 and its by far my favorite bike. My geared ht is worth about 3 times as much and 4 outta 5 times I ride the Haro. Its just super fun.

That being said, SS bikes can be had for cheap. Check out Haro, Redline, Jamis, etc. All have stuff under a grand.

ellbiddy

You already have a descent hardtail dont you? You could simply buy an Eno hub, or even cheaper use a tensioner.

I, as well as Jake, Ben, ArmyofFred and a ton of others ride a Haro Mary. I still ride it rigid but with a carbon fork. I think it was about $800 and its by far my favorite bike. My geared ht is worth about 3 times as much and 4 outta 5 times I ride the Haro. Its just super fun.

That being said, SS bikes can be had for cheap. Check out Haro, Redline, Jamis, etc. All have stuff under a grand.

I love my HT the way it is, and it's a very good bike :D. I wouldn't be able to strip it to a SS without shedding a few tears and the hassle of taking the RD and chain on and off would prevent me from using it for both. The mary's bars look a little quirky for trail use, it's like riding a beach cruiser down the trails. Though the price is right, and it's a good looking bike.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't fear the mary bars. seriously. while i admit, they do take a little getting used to, they can more than handle the rough stuff at mahlon. i rode there several times with them on the bike. the only reasons i switched were that after a year of beating on them i was concerned about fatigue and eating rock is not something i want to do, and (this is walt's fault entirely!) i rode another mary with a similar set up to mine and decided to give it a try. the ergon grips are awesome and it you do run rigid they give a little cush. they're on the heavy side for sure though.

walter

Fourth Party
(this is walt's fault entirely!)

Just because I offered to you to take my bike for ride didn't mean you had to:D

Agree with Jake, while the mary bars arent for everyone, they are quite managable. Folks who have wrist issues say they help quite a bit. I had no problems with them at all. I just went on $1000 spree at Halters one day and ended up with carbon bars.

Check with Jdog, he may have a Mary demo.

Panhead

I took my Reba off and went with a plain old steel fork. It does give you a little wake up every once in a while but it's not really that bad. Most times I'm in Wawayanda- doesn't get much rockier than that.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check with Jdog, he may have a Mary demo.

actually, you should check with wobblegong to see if he gave it back yet!

but yeah, as walt indicated, the mary bars aren't horrible. i know jay at halters doens't really like them but that could be a function of the six mile terrain and the twisties there. it just may not be precise enough...which, now that i'm thinking about it, is the same reason sean (aka anrothar) didn't like them.

but walt, it is all YOUR FAULT!!! :D

M

MC San Andreas

How do you do steep hills on a SS?? I was riding Hither Hills in LI a few weeks back and I cannot tell you how many times I had to shift way down to get up the inclines. Do you not ride trails with big hills with a SS???

BiknBen

How do you do steep hills on a SS?? I was riding Hither Hills in LI a few weeks back and I cannot tell you how many times I had to shift way down to get up the inclines. Do you not ride trails with big hills with a SS???

You get lots of speed at the bottom and pedal like all hell. If you don't make it up...you walk. Yes, SSers may make a habit of avoiding the notoriously hilly places. Then again, if the placce is a ton of fun but happens to be hilly...I'm going anyway.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh

You can swap cogs & chains depending on where you ride...I have a lighter gearing because I am most of the time riding up north where is rockier and hillier. And like Ben said, just pick up speed and pedal pedal pedal :getsome:
I might not make all climbs but I sure try!

Top Bottom