I tried flat pedals yesterday

CrankAddictRich

First and foremost, I'm a roadie. When I first got on a mountain bike, I went clipless almost immediately, thinking that I've been using clipless on the road for years, it will be no problem. I was wrong. I took a HUGE fall on day 1 that was a result of simply not being able to unclip quickly enough on something simple. The result was that I got "gun-shy", scared to attempt more technical features. I'd unclip and walk. After switching to flats, I'm more confident and willing to try bigger and more technical features without fear, progressing my skills at a faster rate than I think I previously would have. I don't really feel that I'm giving up much in terms of pedaling efficiency. I ride with several guys that clip in and on the longest climbs that we hit (granted in NJ, nothing is very long) I certainly more than capable of keeping pace with them. I really do think that good flat pedals and proper flat pedal shoes make a difference here. I'm using Shimano XT flat pedals and Specialized 2FO shoes. The 2FO shoes are WAY better than the Vans I used when I first switched to flats. The Vans sole was way to flexy, so when you're trying to put power down on a climb or trying to get over a feature, you can feel the sole contorting around the pedal. The 2FO shoes are really stiff and at the same time the rubber is really grippy. I have a set of Giro Riddance shoes on the way, I'm anxious to see how they feel.

CrankAddictRich

I use Adidas Terrex solo stealth shoes. They have the same soles as 5.10 (adidas now owns 5.10) They work great but don't have the skater look.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/terrex-solo-hiking-shoe/IUV83.html

The rubber on the soles might be the same in terms of the grip/traction factor, but I'd imagine those shoes are constructed much differently from true flat pedal MTB shoes... hiking/climbing shoes would be design to flex, to grab surfaces, while flat MTB shoes have a very stiff sole so they don't bend when putting power down. Those are great looking shoes though.... maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to check them out in person.

Robin

Kudos to those who have tried flats. And huge kudos to those who stuck with it. It's a learning curve to master techniques like clawing, foot wedge and body wedge.

I used to ride and race clipless. I no longer race and i've been on flats for 3 years now. I ride flats on all bikes including DH. And I'm able to get wheels off the ground on flats. It didn't happen on my first ride. I practice. A lot.

As a Level 2 ICP skills instructor and NICA Coach Supporter I tell people flats for learning and skill development. Clipless for performance. But it's all preference.

Supermoto

The rubber on the soles might be the same in terms of the grip/traction factor, but I'd imagine those shoes are constructed much differently from true flat pedal MTB shoes... hiking/climbing shoes would be design to flex, to grab surfaces, while flat MTB shoes have a very stiff sole so they don't bend when putting power down. Those are great looking shoes though.... maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to check them out in person.

I have 5.10 also. I like the adidas a lot more. They do flex more, but I feel like I can get a better feel of the pedal than with my 5.10, which feel clunky and numb. When I ride spd, I like stiff shoes since the pedal is so small, but not with flats

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pro tip lower your seat height, I forget the amount something like 20 mm ( Google it ) . Keeps your feet planted better at the bottom stroke and compensates for the foot being more centered over the pedal

jklett

It's funny, I thought I was weird having to raise my seat for clipless and lower back for flats but it sounds like that's normal. I personally feel much more confident on flat pedals but I can feel the efficiency with being clipped in. I guess I just like to be able to adjust my foot position on the pedals when I need to. Then again, I probably haven't been riding long enough to form a solid opinion.

Xler8

Pretty much all I knew was clips since forever ago. I was curious about flats and heard they can make you a better rider.

The first few times I went out were on pretty tame trails in LewMo and it felt really awkward. At one point it felt like I never rode before. That only fueled the fire to get more comfortable with them. Ive spent a good amount of time on flats now and I can honestly say that it does make you work on your form - keeping your weight on the pedals. And with that, I’ve found the overall riding experience much better.

My take is that if you never tried them, you should. It’ll be weird at first but stick with it. It’ll pay off in the long run.

terrabike01

Granted flats have their pros and cons, its all about the choice of flat pedals and shoes you use. I run Raceface Aeffect and Atlas pedals with Five 10 Impacts VXi and Freerider shoes. Those shoes stick to the pedals like glue. The pins on the pedals have to be like spikes otherwise your shoe isn't going to stay planted.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So I've been riding flats for the last 2 years since I got into riding again and just bought clipless pedals 2 weeks ago. DOH! As soon as I did everywhere I look is threads about how much better flats are.

As of now I am just starting to get the hang of clips. I have learned to really commit to what I am riding, whether that is a tough technical climb or a chunky descent. When you commit and it doesn't go well and you're clipped in it can hurt. I don't have nearly enough experience to have an informed opinion but as of now I think it's probably good to be able to ride both flats and clips and select the appropriate setup for the conditions and terrain.

Dajerseyrat

So I've been riding flats for the last 2 years since I got into riding again and just bought clipless pedals 2 weeks ago. DOH! As soon as I did everywhere I look is threads about how much better flats are.

As of now I am just starting to get the hang of clips. I have learned to really commit to what I am riding, whether that is a tough technical climb or a chunky descent. When you commit and it doesn't go well and you're clipped in it can hurt. I don't have nearly enough experience to have an informed opinion but as of now I think it's probably good to be able to ride both flats and clips and select the appropriate setup for the conditions and terrain.

See I dont have an issue committing going down hill on clips, nor do I feel uncomfortable at speeds on them. I actually feel comfortable connected to the bike and anytime I got out of line at speed I was able to clip right out. The issue I have is when Im at low speed doing technical climbs over chunky terrain, I feel like I cant get out of them in time and I tip over and fall occasionally. I also feel uncomfortable trying to do more dumb stuff like wheelies and manuals with worries I cant get my feet down in time. On a flat pedal I see myself trying more rock climbs and things like the big log ride at six mile.

Reactions: Tim

Sven Migot

I use SPD Multi-Release cleats.
I can quickly & easily unclip in almost any direction, different foot angles, twists, etc.
Rarely unclips when & don't want it to.
It's a great compromise & gives me extra confidence in the rocks.

Dajerseyrat

Thats
I use SPD Multi-Release cleats.
I can quickly & easily unclip in almost any direction, different foot angles, twists, etc.
Rarely unclips when & don't want it to.
It's a great compromise & gives me extra confidence in the rocks.
exactly what Im using on my clipless set up with Shimano Saint PD-M820 pedals. I still go flat on my ass doing manuals, and tipped over on a few roots and rocks when I couldnt get out fast enough.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went from flats for years, to clip, back to flat. I'm gonna stick with flats for now. I would say you get a little more power with clips, and oddly enough fhe width difference is noticeable especially in rocky spots. But overall I simply enjoy riding with flats more, especially in techy terrain.

I do highly recommend a purpose built shoe, also using 5.10 Impacts.

terrabike01

Shimano Saint PD-MX80 concave pedals and 5-10 high impact for ankle support/protection.
I ride Ramapo, Ringwood, High Mtn, etc.
I also have a pair of the older 5-10 high Impacts which I love but I don't wear them too much. They are like bricks. I sometimes wear them in the winter when it's really cold. They keep your feet nice and toasty with some wool socks. The 5-10 impact VXi's are really light and great for racing.

Last edited:

oobaa47

Last edited:
Top Bottom