Making a Park Tool BT3

Fire Lord Jim

This is a near indispensable bending tool that is no longer in production. Like an ebike, I didn't know what I was missing until I used one. When available on eBay they command high prices for what is basically a flat piece of steel in plastic dip.
I have a piece from a crapped out Thule rack that I will try to create a new BT3.
Anyone here use this tool?

Attachments

• IMG_20180904_204710.jpg
    IMG_20180904_204710.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 90
if you trace that in the other direction.....
improve by making it a bit longer?

fire up the plasma cutter !!!

Adjustable wrench.

Jaws get stuck against the small chainring(s) when bending towards the centerline of the bike.

I've used them extensively, but with the advent of super-thick, spiderless chainrings, the tool is pretty much defunct. IF you bend one, it'll probably snap trying to true it.

if you trace that in the other direction.....
improve by making it a bit longer?

fire up the plasma cutter !!!
Plasma cutter bleh! :p
@Jim Richardson, I may know someone with a waterjet cutter that may be talked into cutting one out for you.
I would just need to know the thickness of the material, the opening dimension and a basic length.
I've never used one but would think you would want to harden the end a bit so it doesn't bend open on you.

I no longer have access to a plasma cutter, it was nice. I have a carbide chop saw & a small angle grinder.
Agree that the adjustable wrench head is the wrong size and shape.
My rainy day prototype thus far:

Attachments

• IMG_20180906_111952.jpg
    IMG_20180906_111952.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20180906_111734.jpg
    IMG_20180906_111734.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 62
I've only used crescent wrenches for brake toe-in, even when that tool was sitting on the bench. I even have a small crescent, maybe 3-inches long, dedicated for brake rotors. My favorite of all time was what we affectionately referred to as the brass johnson, but 99% of the time is was also used for straightening, NOT brake toe-in - it looked like this:
Brass_Johnson.JPG

For straightening work I use a hammer and dolly, or typically a pair of ball-peen hammers. I was lucky enought to have been taught this technique my first year at a bike shop, and have used it extensively for over 30 years!

I was lucky to buy a full lot tool selection of a bike shop going out of business. I wanted a truing set and got a lot more. This was in there.

20180910_184207.jpg

Though I did loath the morningstar bender which I think @Kirt has handy.
That is probably worth more.

Back
Top Bottom