Going to MCBP in a few weeks, should I be scared?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Don't worry about hitting the transition at first. Go slow to feel out how the lip sends you. Practice landing both wheels at the same time on the top of the table. Then work up your speed to get to the transition. Words cannot teach you how to jump though, gotta get out there and practice and get comfortable with the rubber leaving the ground.

avc8130

I kinda depends on the jump. Many of the jumps at Creek can be lippy, although I'm not sure which trail you were riding. Breakout? I think that one has some moderate tables on it. But it really just means practice. Finding a section of trail you can hit and then hike back up and hit again a few times. The "B-Line" on Lower Dominion to the right is good for that. Three or four jumps that can be ridden and then quickly hiked/ridden back up to ride again. They aren't as tall as the main line and the lips aren't as steep. You do need to push down to land the backside properly and keep your speed into the next jump, but that takes practice to get comfortable doing.

Didn't know there was a "B" Line on Lower Dominion. Might have to go check that out next time!

Sevenz

If you're new to jumping tables the best place to practice at Creek is Upper Deviant (you can session this area) and Lower Deviant. Those tables are small and not lippy. Killington has a great blue jump trail called Blue Magic. It has probably 50 or so tables of all sizes and that are not lippy. Very easy to progress there.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If you're new to jumping tables the best place to practice at Creek is Upper Deviant (you can session this area) and Lower Deviant. Those tables are small and not lippy. Killington has a great blue jump trail called Blue Magic. It has probably 50 or so tables of all sizes and that are not lippy. Very easy to progress there.
Cool.

@qclabrat, that’s where we were.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m no jump master, but Deviant is a good progression spot. I was always terrified to hit the real tables on Dominion until I let a friend tow me into them.... it reeeaaally comes down to the proper speed. Following someone that knows the right speed is the best way to learn. Casing jumps over and over can be punishing....once you learn to let go of the brakes and fly into the transition is such a satisfying feeling.

avc8130

I’m no jump master, but Deviant is a good progression spot. I was always terrified to hit the real tables on Dominion until I let a friend tow me into them.... it reeeaaally comes down to the proper speed. Following someone that knows the right speed is the best way to learn. Casing jumps over and over can be punishing....once you learn to let go of the brakes and fly into the transition is such a satisfying feeling.

Pretty say to safe that when one is learning, we are probably brake-checking WAY too much.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pretty say to safe that when one is learning, we are probably brake-checking WAY too much.

Yep, I’m still way too heavy on the breaks but I’m getting there... there’s always that thought of “still have to go to work Monday” in the back of my head. Unfortunately with a lot of those features you gotta fully commit or you’re coming up short and getting hurt. There’s no in between lol.

Ian F

Didn't know there was a "B" Line on Lower Dominion. Might have to go check that out next time!

It's the section of jumps that sort of run next to a ski slope (or double track) after you exit. I "think" it's part of Dominion, looking at the map. The big jumps are to the left, the smaller ones to the right, but it is a separate trail.

Wilderness Roll at Windham and Gronk and Thunder are great jump trails that will build you confidence. Both are Gravity Logic trails and are really well made. Hellion at Highland is similar, although a tad more lippy. Oddly, the first time I rode Hellion, following a couple of Canadians, I cleared at least half of the jumps. Then I never rode them as well again. For some reason, when I was getting "towed" into them, I rode them faster. I had a similar experience on Ewok Village at Blue Mtn. At least until I over shot the landing on one and flat-landed (yay for 8" of travel!).

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
they weren't big, and pretty sure it was on a green which dumped you into a fire road running perpendicular
Think there were 3 in a row and was a small lip to kick up the bike. I'll likely going there and session it out next time, but I'm going to wear more body armor...
If you are nosing in, you should be hitting the backside and land smooth. Your bike should basically be the same angle as what you are landing on. With mellow lips and landings, you should have a some what smooth, low arc from take off to landing. Obviously, woth out knowing the jumps, it is hard to make specific comments but I doubt they are very “lippy”.
Since you are new to jumping, just let the lip send you and concentrate on aligning the bike to where you will land. If you aren’t making it to the backside at first, don’t nose in, but as you start getting to the back side, start to angle the bike to land on the landing smoothly. Just don’t land rear will first if you make it to the landing.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, you should be scared. That's a normal brain when you're in a new environment. Most of the early injuries seem to be with guys who didn't respect the challenge and went bigger than they were ready for. Most definitely go. It's a game changer. Just ride within your limits, plan to crash and pad up accordingly, and have a blast.

I resemble this remark. :p

Anybody else going Sunday?

Wolfjon

piggybacking on qclabrats old post but anyone hitting it up on Saturday? If the weather holds out me and the Kid will be there for the 1st time.

Top Bottom