Going to MCBP in a few weeks, should I be scared?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
which trails?
200w.gif

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, the breaking bumps have gotten bad. My hands are still sore from last weekend. Be ready for the chatter!

qclabrat

I'm going to set my chip to slack position on the bike, but not sure about fork and shock pressure. Should I set less sag than before? I was running about 30%, is less better for the bike park?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I'm going to set my chip to slack position on the bike, but not sure about fork and shock pressure. Should I set less sag than before? I was running about 30%, is less better for the bike park?

No no no! Not Less! What is the range the bike spec’d for? I was thinking about stashing my shock pump in a locker so after the first run if anyone need to make adjustments we can sort it out before we up the anti.

Tires, if tubeless, a few psi more than chimney for starters. Tubes, 5+ more than chimney. If we decide to do more of the natural trails we’ll need to add a few more than that too.

qclabrat

No no no! Not Less! What is the range the bike spec’d for? I was thinking about stashing my shock pump in a locker so after the first run if anyone need to make adjustments we can sort it out before we up the anti.

Tires, if tubeless, a few psi more than chimney for starters. Tubes, 5+ more than chimney. If we decide to do more of the natural trails we’ll need to add a few more than that too.
27-33% or 17-21mm
my tires are 22 front and 20 rear on HR2s

qclabrat

I'm pleased to report, @qclabrat did not die. :)
Yeah, I rode like a guy with 10 kids and a 100K life insurance. Having my seat dropped the whole time and not being able to pedal took a while to figure out. The brake bumps did suck but really started enjoying the flow but couldn't link the turns or carry speed around the turns to really have fun. I have to say, DH is a completely different animal. I'd like to learn to hit some tables next time. Can some one give me some tips? I was brake checking as I hit each one as I had no clue what to do if I didn't...

Ian F

Jumps can be tough. Especially as you get older and experience has taught you pain is bad and you don't bounce like you did 20 years ago. More so if they have a lip or even appear to have a lip. Sometimes it helps to stop and really look at them. When you're riding towards them it can look like you're riding up to a wall that will send you into orbit, but in reality, many jumps are not that steep and won't really send you straight up.

Highland has a nice area with moderately built beginner jumps to learn on. I wish Blue or Mtn Creek near here had something similar.

avc8130

Yeah, I rode like a guy with 10 kids and a 100K life insurance. Having my seat dropped the whole time and not being able to pedal took a while to figure out. The brake bumps did suck but really started enjoying the flow but couldn't link the turns or carry speed around the turns to really have fun. I have to say, DH is a completely different animal. I'd like to learn to hit some tables next time. Can some one give me some tips? I was brake checking as I hit each one as I had no clue what to do if I didn't...

I suck at the jumps, but I can tell you this: at your (and probably my) speed braking is completely unnecessary before the jumps.

ac

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Its the kickers that freak me out. I’m fine on the mound like things... but put a kicker on a tiny jump and I pucker up. I suck!

qclabrat

I suck at the jumps, but I can tell you this: at your (and probably my) speed braking is completely unnecessary before the jumps.

ac
I'm accustomed to hitting tables from skiing but whenever I land short, the impact compresses my spine and I'm done for the day.
Which is why I completely roll over with zero air. What are you suppose to do after you hit the table? when do you push the front end down?, cause I feel like I'm way back and would surely land on the rear wheel and dump off backwards on the landing.

Ian F

I kinda depends on the jump. Many of the jumps at Creek can be lippy, although I'm not sure which trail you were riding. Breakout? I think that one has some moderate tables on it. But it really just means practice. Finding a section of trail you can hit and then hike back up and hit again a few times. The "B-Line" on Lower Dominion to the right is good for that. Three or four jumps that can be ridden and then quickly hiked/ridden back up to ride again. They aren't as tall as the main line and the lips aren't as steep. You do need to push down to land the backside properly and keep your speed into the next jump, but that takes practice to get comfortable doing.

qclabrat

I kinda depends on the jump. Many of the jumps at Creek can be lippy, although I'm not sure which trail you were riding. Breakout? I think that one has some moderate tables on it. But it really just means practice. Finding a section of trail you can hit and then hike back up and hit again a few times. The "B-Line" on Lower Dominion to the right is good for that. Three or four jumps that can be ridden and then quickly hiked/ridden back up to ride again. They aren't as tall as the main line and the lips aren't as steep. You do need to push down to land the backside properly and keep your speed into the next jump, but that takes practice to get comfortable doing.
they weren't big, and pretty sure it was on a green which dumped you into a fire road running perpendicular
Think there were 3 in a row and was a small lip to kick up the bike. I'll likely going there and session it out next time, but I'm going to wear more body armor...

Top Bottom