Burlington Vermont

RyGanley

Can anyone recommend anything in that area, I will be up there for the brewers fest this weekend, and want to find the best Single track I can with limited time.

Mare

can you travel east about 2 hours? the kingdom trails are right there and they are the best riding you will find :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I did a lot of research in the past for Burlington as i was serious about moving there, and i visit there often. There are very few trails of significance in the immediate area. As much as a outdoor haven as Burlington is the MTB conditions there aren't great. There is Kingdom Trials two hours away as previously stated and there is also another trail up in Canada equally farther away and more north. The trails name is Coaticook and from what i read it was supposed to be epic technical riding and had a similar pay and access structure to Kingdom.

If you are interested in working in a stop on the way to or from Burlington you can swing over a little East and hit the Millstone trails, another pay park. They set you up with a map and give you directions based on preferences. I stopped there on my way back from Kingdom and could only spend a few hours there. I wish i could have spent more time as the trails are rather new and really nice. Unlike Kingdom the place has some really nice technical sections. Reminded me of Allamuchy only all singletrack and without the long climbing.

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here I go again.....

There are a ton of places within 20-30 minutes of Burlington. All you need is this link
http://www.fotwheel.org/index.php
I recommend Hinesburg Town Forest, excellent single track. Climb up Dragons tail from the back door and take Fire Breather - its like that first drop on a roller coaster.

Saxxon is closer to b-ton but sometimes crowded.

They used to have downhill at Bolton Valley ski area

And the http://www.vmba.org/ is our JORBA

There are a couple of rides from UVM into and around Williston - but the trails are not well documented and meander in and out of neighbor hoods. Good if I am there to show you.

Also, there is a bike path that runs along lake champlain, if you get to the northernmost end there are trails around the path. Nice chiller by the lake, its about 8 miles total, good views and runs behind the MagicHat brewery - stop off for a growler of Kitty Kat.

Last edited:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Here I go again.....

There are a ton of places within 20-30 minutes of Burlington. All you need is this link
http://www.fotwheel.org/index.php
I recommend Hinesburg Town Forest, excellent single track. Climb up Dragons tail from the back door and take Fire Breather - its like that first drop on a roller coaster.

Saxxon is closer to b-ton but sometimes crowded.

They used to have downhill at Bolton Valley ski area

And the http://www.vmba.org/ is our JORBA

There are a couple of rides from UVM into and around Williston - but the trails are not well documented and meander in and out of neighbor hoods. Good if I am there to show you.

Also, there is a bike path that runs along lake champlain, if you get to the northernmost end there are trails around the path. Nice chiller by the lake, its about 8 miles total, good views and runs behind the MagicHat brewery - stop off for a growler of Kitty Kat.

Sorry for the bad info then, apparently i don't know what i'm talking about. I guess i asked the wrong people or read the wrong forums.

Is there any technical trails with some decent mileage to be found in the Burlington area? From what i've seen, and from what i've been lead to believe there isn't much rock there.

Also if you are very familiar with the area, how is the whitewater scene, any clue?

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
cool that really helps. I was also looking at a place called sleepy hollow. anyone been there?

Sleepy Hollow is pretty good. It's pay to ride. They have a box that you stick $5 or $10 in. Trails are well taken care of with "stunts" here and there. Referring to my other post, if you hit SH you can connect up to HTF for hours and hours of riding. By car they are about 5-8 miuntes apart. By bike, over the mountain and cross the road (people there can direct you). FYI, these are all dirt roads servicing these trails, you car will be very dirty.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry for the bad info then, apparently i don't know what i'm talking about. I guess i asked the wrong people or read the wrong forums.

Is there any technical trails with some decent mileage to be found in the Burlington area? From what i've seen, and from what i've been lead to believe there isn't much rock there.

Also if you are very familiar with the area, how is the whitewater scene, any clue?

Hinesburg, Richmond, Huntington are all within 1/2 hour of downtown. the FOTW outlines trails in all these areas. The ST at HTF is awesome. It's built into the side of a hill (mountain for us) and traverses all over the place. There are several large maps at the trail heads and the trails are marked well.

My Dad still lives on Texas Hill Rd (see HTF directions) and I went to UVM, some 20 years ago. There have always been lots of good trails to ride in and around Burlington. There is a small area adjacent to UVM that meandered to the Winooski river that was a blast way back. The way Burlington has changed it's probably all condo's now.

In Burlington Royal Cycles is on King st - of the beaten path a bit - but they will give better local info than the BIG stores.

Whitewater, hmmm, not really anything extensive, especially now around Burlington. In the spring the Huntington River has a nice gorge and flows into the Richmond which can get speedy in areas. I would go with the Upper Hudson River and the Ausable in NYS before anything in central Vt.

RyGanley

Sleepy Hollow is pretty good. It's pay to ride. They have a box that you stick $5 or $10 in. Trails are well taken care of with "stunts" here and there. Referring to my other post, if you hit SH you can connect up to HTF for hours and hours of riding. By car they are about 5-8 miuntes apart. By bike, over the mountain and cross the road (people there can direct you). FYI, these are all dirt roads servicing these trails, you car will be very dirty.

And this is were we ended up going to "Sleepy Hollow". The trails were quite slick, due to the rain the day before, and it seems you need to ride on grassy XC ski trails to link up to them. But I found the runs challenging, yet flowy and interesting. One gripe I must vocalize is the owner seems to have let a few trails over grow, for the whole season. I noticed this when I came around a turn, couldn't see the ground through the 6 foot grass and ate it hard on a rock. I told guy about this, and he said they decided to close that section; but never put up any signs. Instead for 6 bucks; buy 2 long trails at Nectars and try something different.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And this is were we ended up going to "Sleepy Hollow". The trails were quite slick, due to the rain the day before, and it seems you need to ride on grassy XC ski trails to link up to them. But I found the runs challenging, yet flowy and interesting. One gripe I must vocalize is the owner seems to have let a few trails over grow, for the whole season. I noticed this when I came around a turn, couldn't see the ground through the 6 foot grass and ate it hard on a rock. I told guy about this, and he said they decided to close that section; but never put up any signs. Instead for 6 bucks; buy 2 long trails at Nectars and try something different.

OK --- next time try HTF and stop at my dads place for a Long Trail

Top Bottom