Bontrager ACX wins 29er tire shootout in MBA!!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
l_2cbded3a7b99c72ffea696943aff9138.jpg

I know I've been glad to have this tire in my arsenal. This is my favorite tire in the wet, in the rocks, on roots, and even on wet rocks and roots!! It's nice to see that the folks over at Mountain Bike Action see what an awesome well-rounded this tire is as well by rating it numero uno in their 29er tire shootout!! I personally run mine at a little higher pressure than they suggest, usually from 28-30 psi, but that's just how I roll son. Get it? That's how I roll? Go get a set of these, you won't be disappointed...

-Jim.​

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I've spent a lot of time on those tires (they came stock on my old Paragon years ago), and I can't say I care too much for them. I've thrown them back on from time to time when between other tires, and they're no match for the Ignitors, Rampages and Ardents that I run more frequently.

Glad you like em, Jim, but they're not for me!

ArmyOfNone

I just threw an ardent up front the other day and today was the first time on it. So far soo good although it was very dry and sandy. Looking to see how it rolls in the rocks.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Still love my panaracer fire xc's no matter what MBA says.According to them,it seems to me, the kende nevagal is about the only tire the world needs.They push it so hard it makes me want to avoid it just 'cause it's annoying at this point.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Still love my panaracer fire xc's no matter what MBA says.According to them,it seems to me, the kende nevagal is about the only tire the world needs.They push it so hard it makes me want to avoid it just 'cause it's annoying at this point.

Yeah, I know. I was in the Kenda camp last year and even though they pitch the Nevegal, I personally loved the Small Block 8, and rode it all season. When I bought my 29er I originally had the Small Block with tubes, but wanting to run tubeless (without trying to get the thin Kenda sidewalls to hold) I had to venture into unknown territory. At almost the same time, I got sponsored by Fisher and with it came Bontrager, so I just got a set of everything. At this point I'd say the new XDX is a little better for racing, but the ACX is lighter and better in the wet/mud/sketchy stuff...

-Jim.

D

DANSPANK

29er Ignitors here. I needed to add a bit more Stans than usual, and use their rim strips but they're finally seated (sat?) and running liek a champ over everything.

N

nx52cc

panarcer fire xc pro 2.1 cheep but yet the beast ive come across ....do note tred on thoes look like something i would like to try but let me say ive bin thu some tires ride about 200 + miles a week on road with a mtn bike and with the fire xc pros plenty of life left after the long ride to not slip on the nastest mud or dirt ... hey im not doughting any of you i just love this stuff and this site and even thu it says im a beginer ....i mite know alittle something lol thanks

ArmyOfNone

only have one ride on them. they seemed to do well in the hardpack and the loose stuff.

The cross mark that i have on the rear is what bothers me a bit. It seems to skip before it hooks up. That didnt seem to be the issue when I was running the pythons. :hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I liked the Crossmark better than the Python, until it got a flat. Tubes suck.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Acx

I haven't tried a lot of tires, but I know I had the Bontrager ACX 2.3 on the front for quite a while (they came on the bike) and I was washing out the front all the time at 6-mile. I talked to Frank H. and switched to a Weirwolf 2.5 (already had a WW 2.3 on the back) and it tracks like glue. Best switch I have made.

Tim

walter

Fourth Party
Tim are you using the 29er weirwolf and if so what kind of fork do you have and what kind/how much clearance is there. That WW is a big tire.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
29er

Walter,

I wish I had a 29er. Thanks for rubbing it in. :D

No, I have a Gary Fisher Cake with a lame Manitou Splice fork. I was worried about the clearance also, but it seems to have plenty of room. It is a big tire though.:p

I like to run low pressure and still have tubes, also lets say I'm north of 200 :eek:, so the big volume tires seem to work for me. I'm running the performance lunar lights (thinnnn) and run around 28-30 psi and have only pinch flatted once (at CR).

Maybe the 29er version of the ACX is better. :hmmm:

Tim

Last edited:
Top Bottom