How to end up in “dog house” with the wife and kid.

Nimrod

This is kind of funny:p

Yesterday, bike commuted to/from work > Nice way to get in 50 miles.

I use a Camelback like everybody else for putting my “stuff” in (wallet, cell phone, lunch, KEYS).

To follow the story along, please remember (besides working 50hrs a week) that I also coach a high school baseball team, that has (typically) 3 night games a week (sometime more). Also remember that I own 3 vehicles, 2004 SS impala, 2002 Saturn Wagon, a vintage 1993 Ford F-150 4 x 4.... and my 18 year old boy just got his license a couple of weeks ago. Wife is scared to death of the truck; son can not drive truck due to insurance reasons.

Last night , rode my bike home, jumped in the pool (wearing my bike clothes) to cool off, changed, shoved dinner my throat, grabbed the Impala car keys off the hook, left the house for baseball with Son # 2; all in under 30 minutes. Actually saw my wife for 5 minutes.

Got home from baseball @ 11:00pm; went to bed. Today 5:00am rolled around real quick; getup, gather up my stuff and ride my bike (again) to work... wife and kids sleeping when I left @6am. About 8am MRS. Nimrod phones me up here at work and she’s not happy.

Mrs. Nimrod: “where the hell are your car keys?”

Me: “Let me look in my backpack..., yep! I have them….why?”

Mrs. Nimrod: “remember yesterday……how I told you I was taking your car, Nimrod Jr. was taking my car, and you where driving the truck!?!”

Me: “Nope… when did that happen?”

Mrs. Nimrod: “yesterday!!!!! How is Nimrod Jr. Going to get to work….. (Insert more typical husband/wife hostilities here, you get the picture)” she’s getting frantic at this point.

Me: “Ahhh maybe he can get a ride from a friend, ride his bike to work, buy his own car, etc.?”

Mrs. Nimrod “Why did you take your keys…..”

Me: “listen… this is what happens when to people (mortals) they run around like lunatics………more husband/wife skirmishing…………(but I'm winning)…..”

PS. Tonight Mrs. Nimrod has school; and I’ll be going to the Honda dealer to buy her another car (Hybrid Civic).

Stay tuned for further details, hopefully it’ll be good

clutch

My parents always kept a keyring in the kitchen cabinet that had a copy of every car they owned. (with 3 kids at one point this meant 6 sets of keys) They also seamed to have at least 3 sets of keys for any car that me and my sisters drove.

Nimrod

Nimrod Jr. called.

"I rode my bike to Khol's.. lived...":getsome:

Mrs. Nimrod just called as well = She's not as cranky:rolleyes: as she was this morning.

Anything to do with me, going to buy her, a car tonight?

RNG1

Funny stuff, I can totally relate and it is a lot funnier when you read about someone else dealing with it too.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
As much as i loved the look and feel of my previous Jetta i would never buy a VW again. For everyone that has a good VW experience there are 2 that have a horrible one. If you are at all concerned with reliability you really can't compare a VW to a Honda. My VW driving came to end when it simply caught fire in my driveway (3 yr old car). The insurance company didn't even question it as it was common. I really wish it wasn't the case because they are nice looking and affordable automobiles.

Engignar

I average 29 mpg in my GTI, which has some "work" done...and I don't drive it lightly. The new ones with the direct injection motor and six speed should be a bit better than that...still not going to be on par with a civic though. Mrs. Nimrod would have more fun though! Good luck with whatever you choose, the real truth is that nowadays there really are no bad cars, some are just excellent.

Nimrod

Funny stuff, I can totally relate and it is a lot funnier when you read about someone else dealing with it too.

Oh... it got better last night... last week ordered the car, gave them $500 on Visa

0.9% finance rate....

Me: "Okay let’s write it up right now"

Them: "no can do... has to be when the car comes in...”

Me: "okay"

Fast forward 5 days, the car is in, went to the dealer last night (after riding my bicycle 25 miles home):D meet with the POS Finance Manager:mad2: Oh... I'm combat ready:getsome: BTW I had called Capital One the other day and got a 4.71(ish) rate... this Nimrod is a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry good car shopper :)

POS Manager: "its 6%"

Me: "No way......"

POS: "well the cost of everything is going up"

Me: (getting hostile now) "What?!?! It’s gone up 500%! Capital gave me a rate that blows yours away!

POS: "what’s their rate?"

Me: "it’s not to my advantage to tell you.... "

POS: "If you had written up the car went you where here last week, we would have given you that rate"

Me: (more hostile) The Salesman said he could not do that?!?"

POS: "its not that much money, you must have had a bad experience at another car dealer?"

Me: "you think I'm having a good one now? I'll call you tomorrow" and left.

Called the Salesman this morning, left a message on voice mail to call me back.:getsome:

The deal is.... (as nicely as possible) its a Honda... no big deal... they make millions of them...its a commuter car, hardly inspiring to drive, no rush to get another car... they pulled a bait and switch, or they simply don't know what their doing.... the car is an 08, the 09's are due shortly = 1K off or I'm punching out.

MTB Aussie

Oh... it got better last night... last week ordered the car, gave them $500 on Visa

0.9% finance rate....

Me: "Okay let’s write it up right now"

Them: "no can do... has to be when the car comes in...”

Me: "okay"

>snipped

The deal is.... (as nicely as possible) its a Honda... no big deal... they make millions of them...its a commuter car, hardly inspiring to drive, no rush to get another car... they pulled a bait and switch, or they simply don't know what their doing.... the car is an 08, the 09's are due shortly = 1K off or I'm punching out.

Happens all the time to me - I have experienced it almost every time i bought a new vehicle in the last ten years. If they take a deposit, they need to write it up with all the terms - if not, walk away.

The last Honda I got from Madison Honda. Searched on the interweb, found a dealer with a bunch of cars I wanted in stock with the next model year arriving imminently, called, told them what I was willing to pay including all costs like delivery etc. They "couldn't do it". Gave them my number and told them to call me if they changed their minds. They called. I had them fax me the paper and do it over the phone. Any shenanigans and you can hang up and cancel the deal via credit card company if necessary.

I loved the story about the interaction with Mrs Nimrod since it sounds so much like my house. I made the mistake of leaving my car in the driveway one snow day last year and Mrs Aussie decided to shovel out and wasn't happy working around my car. Deciding to move it, Mrs Aussie somehow managed to get my stick shift car down the driveway (never ever ever driven a stick shift in her life - stops her driving my car, so I thought :D ). Somehow the car made it back up the driveway much to my amazement upon returning from work. The kids related the "funny story" of Mom revving the engine and almost crashing through the garage door. It was only when I got in the car and smelled the burnt clutch that I realized it was time to HIDE the keys completely.

Nimrod

I made the mistake of leaving my car in the driveway one snow day last year and Mrs Aussie decided to shovel out and wasn't happy working around my car. Deciding to move it, Mrs Aussie somehow managed to get my stick shift car down the driveway (never ever ever driven a stick shift in her life - stops her driving my car, so I thought :D ). Somehow the car made it back up the driveway much to my amazement upon returning from work. The kids related the "funny story" of Mom revving the engine and almost crashing through the garage door. It was only when I got in the car and smelled the burnt clutch that I realized it was time to HIDE the keys completely.

Life is funny. Want to know about the time Mrs. Nimrod backed into my parked 4 x4 in the driveway? Of course you do. It was my fault (obviously) that see didn't see this huge red truck.

Same deal, the kids come running out of the house when I pulled into the driveway "mom is reallly made at you!" So go into the house, she's rocking...:hmmm: and I'm like "shouldn't I be mad at you for hitting my parked truck?":hmmm:

Anyhow, its combat out there and All Car Dealers are full of shit.

Ran out a lunch time to another dealer.

They make it sound like it’s easier to part the Red Sea, then get a Hybrid. All they want to do is sell what they have on the lot.

So told the Salesguy (I was very nice, it’s a game, gave him my business card) that wife wants/must have Hybrid or nothing, delivery is not an issue, can wait; already have one extra vehicle..... We need to be good Liberals and care about the planet, be greenies…etc.

Well don’t you know…..? I’m leaving the dealer and they found a Hybrid which is already is transit to them.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i just wanted to add if you are thinking of buying a new car do yourself a favor and go to http://www.fightingchance.com i did and saved close to 5k on ridgeline. no b.s. $40 for the program followed step by step, never stepped in a dealership untill actually picking up the truck. never did i have to hagle i was the one who was in control and they were the ones who knew i got over on them...

dualfisted

funny story and all but..........

You're throwing huge dollars that u seem to work really hard for on a problem that can be solved very simply by A) getting extra sets of keys, B)telling the kid to get his own car, or ride his bike to work, or C) telling Mrs. Nimrod to quit her bitchin' and drive the truck........ I don't particularly recommend option "c" unless the dog house is somewhere u enjoy being. Maybe spend the money u save by not buying a car to send Mrs. Nimrod to driving skool if she's smashing into your parked truck, duh. Options "a" and "b" sound like you could throw those thousands of dollars into the old retirement fund, or, buy more bikes. PS- tell that Honda dealer to go to hell, let some other kook get ripped off by them.

Top Bottom