Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

huffster

Yeah, I know its still there. I'm 6'4" and it comes up to my chin standing up. But, a whole race full of people managed to duck under it. So, its not exactly inhibiting anything. I had ridden the course a couple days before the race and there were a couple of other trees that seemed like they would be more of a PITA on race day, 1 on Sitting Bear and 1 on Cherry Ridge.
After doing the race - now I know the tree you are talking about. As it is there is no worry unless you are 7' tall.

xc62701

Yeah, I know its still there. I'm 6'4" and it comes up to my chin standing up. But, a whole race full of people managed to duck under it. So, its not exactly inhibiting anything. I had ridden the course a couple days before the race and there were a couple of other trees that seemed like they would be more of a PITA on race day, 1 on Sitting Bear and 1 on Cherry Ridge.

Yes I kept thinking the cherry ridge one was a camelback magnet.

Kaleidopete

Here is one more I cut away through today. The little known huffster trail
huf tree9.jpg

Kaleidopete

Just making sure I know where that means. Is this the cut-through from lake to maintenance lot? Regardless, thanks for cutting!
no....this is the trail from the upper parking lot (closed entrance) that goes either down to Iron MT rd (very muddy gully),
or by making a right turn comes back out on the main road just above Iron Mountain.

Will

rode today, large tree down on mojo swamp first section near the wall trail... near the rock bridge over the stream. large pine still down at end of splitrock

Kaleidopete

Red Dot trail before the cut off to Twin Bridges.
Nature Jim brdg02.jpg

map
Jims1.jpg

and after you cross the bridge heading to Cherry ridge
Nature Jim brdg05.jpg

There are a few more between Cherry ridge and Jim's Bridge too.

chris12453

Tree down on Wingdam midway between the two dams.

@Kaleidopete

I can't believe I am actually asking this question, but where is the white trail. I'm sure I have ridden it and probably know it as another name. I ride back there so much, it is all just a blur now.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Tree down on Wingdam midway between the two dams.

@Kaleidopete

I can't believe I am actually asking this question, but where is the white trail. I'm sure I have ridden it and probably know it as another name. I ride back there so much, it is all just a blur now.
Actually there are two White trails near each other. Both join with Cherry Ridge and go to Lookout Lake and become one there and continue on to Old Coal trail.

Kaleidopete

Well Red Dot trail is good, clear riding from Cherry Ridge to Nature Jim's Bridge. I worked on it this morning.
It is still a little overgrown with ferns in spots. I also cut out some face slappers, but that always need work.
Right now it's "smooth sailing" to the bridge, as smooth as Wayway gets any how. There is more I didn't photo, forgot.

this is gone, I just didn't photo it gone, too tired
Nature Jim brdg05.jpg

reddot maint08.jpg

reddot8.jpg

Last edited:

sundaydoug

There's a tree down on Porcupine very close to Ferber Circle, too big for my folding saw though. Thank you for all of the collective help keeping these trails clear!

chris12453

@Kaleidopete

During my first big tour of wayway in a couple years (granted I live only 2 miles away and ride it all the time, but my health prevented me from putting the bigger rides in until now) I now know the white trails you talk about. I def know what they are, haven't ridden them in a good 4 years or so.

In any event, Tombstone and the pipeline trail from Rattlesnake to Tombstone (you can include the pines portion as well) need some serious brush cut.

Also, in my opinion, the rock bridge on pump house heading from the lake to cherry ridge needs a little work. It was quite sketchy when I was going across.

chris12453

There is also a tree down on Pump House after you cross the rock bridge and are just starting the little rocky tech section as you climb up to where blue starts.

Skunkape

Went for a quick lake lap yesterday and cut out two smaller blowdowns on sitting bear. I hope to get out soon with the big saw and get the two big hemlocks in the same area. Finished out the ride with a shin deep walk of shame over the pump house rock bridge. We must have really picked up some rain the other day.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions