Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

blast_off

Took a look at this place today. Most of the trails were still 5-6+ inches, south end has less. The trails around the Barn and creek are 90% dry.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Rode yesterday. All the trails are completely passable, though still lots of debris and some face slappers. Blue and river run are the messiest. I may get out with a hand saw and rake this week and do some cleaning. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 chainsaw trees left - they're on blue but i was able to ride over them, they just messed up flow. Only trail i didn't ride was orange.

blast_off

Rode tonight. 95% dry, especially with the wind we had today. The Mine trail is going to need a few weeks at least. Lots of branches and sticks down, couple face slappers too big for one guy to move.

The switchbacks are rolling great, but that entire section is all ash wood. For those that don't know, NJ is going to lose almost all of its ash trees this year and next due to an insect infestation. There is lots of ash already down in the park.

xc62701

Dickerson was in great shape last night. @Jason did an awesome job clearing those trees out! There's still a few on blue that need to be taken care of but they aren't crazy. They just disrupt the flow. I usually take Patriots path from Randolph to the West Morris Trail over to Dickerson and there's lots more trees down on Patriots than anything else I saw. I may do a clearing mission on that today or tomorrow.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dickerson was in great shape last night. @Jason did an awesome job clearing those trees out! There's still a few on blue that need to be taken care of but they aren't crazy. They just disrupt the flow. I usually take Patriots path from Randolph to the West Morris Trail over to Dickerson and there's lots more trees down on Patriots than anything else I saw. I may do a clearing mission on that today or tomorrow.
Since the NICA race was postponed I'm planning on hitting blue tomorrow afternoon.

xc62701

Since the NICA race was postponed I'm planning on hitting blue tomorrow afternoon.
Great!

There were two on the white downhill from the mulch pile and one has been cut out? So there's still one there. Besides the few on blue the rest of the park looks fairly good.

goldsbar

I did some clearing today for stuff that could be moved/pulled. If you bring a saw, you won't be disappointed. Still enough to cut, though the ride isn't interrupted too badly. Worst was a tree on the blue that basically took out both ends of a switchback and a couple on the white where it's a road and just afterwards. Orange had a rotten tree next to the trail fall across. If you think you can ride through the hole where the stump used to be, my quick test showed the leaves are hiding a decently deep hole.

With all the little sticks and leaves, it feels like riding in November. Momentarily hard to follow the trail in a few spots.

xc62701

Orange had a rotten tree next to the trail fall across. If you think you can ride through the hole where the stump used to be, my quick test showed the leaves are hiding a decently deep hole.

Thanks for the heads up. Where were you a few days ago when I tried to ride that hole and ended up doing push-ups on the other side...lol. It's deep.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the heads up. Where were you a few days ago when I tried to ride that hole and ended up doing push-ups on the other side...lol. It's deep.

Got the tree on Orange but the trail could use some additional work there. I only had the saw with me today. I also hit all of Blue and some of White as well.

IMG_0082.JPG

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Finally got out there today with my rake and hand saw but looks like @Jason beat me to most of it. I walked all of Blue and "River Run" and the little bit of White between them (by the neighborhood trailheads). Just did a lot of stick removal and cut out the one leaner above the new big log-over on that little section of White. I may walk more tomorrow if i have time. By the way: what's the real name of that trail i call "River Run" that crosses the rust-colored stream?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pretty sure that’s the “Creek Cross Shuffle” on Strava, at least... Regardless, thanks for the TM!! Hoping to hit it up towards the end of the week.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions