Injury Report

RNG1

Got the old good new and bad news today.
Bad news is the thumb is broken in two places, good news is not so bad that would often require pinning and surgery. Should be able to rock and roll for the 40 hopefully. Good news for you guys is that it may slow me down a little while riding and typing:)Just kidding about the riding part.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Bad news is the thumb is broken in two places, good news is not so bad that would often require pinning and surgery. Should be able to rock and roll for the 40 hopefully. Good news for you guys is that it may slow me down a little while riding and typing:)Just kidding about the riding part.
Bummer, Rob. I think I met you earlier in the day. Were you wearing an IMBA jersey?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I broke my thumb when I was in second grade. It was a total bummer since I did it in the winter and had to wear a mitten on it. I also did not need surgery, they just set it and all is good now. SS might not be a bad idea for you now!

RNG1

Thanks guys. Yeah IMBA jersey, see my avatar. Got the cast on today and then it got depressing. I am pretty sure I can ride the road bike though in low traffic areas. I am also going to start the trail running now that I got that jump started from the race . Gotta make something good out of this.

RNG1

By the way, I actually did build a single speed with my 853 Rocky Mountain frame, but the kind of chainrings and crankset on it does not allow the big ring to come off without destroying it which seems wasteful. Anyone know anybody that has what is meant to be used with a single speed that they want to get rid of?

Mare

Oh no! You aren't having any luck lately, are you? I think I was parked right across from you... at the end of the day I saw someone with their hand wrapped. I assume that was you then? Sorry to hear about chiggers and now this :(

NJ Jess

ouch.

Sorry to hear about the break. I was out 8 months with a broken wrist requiring surgery. sucks, but trail running is cool too. To bad you didn't break your pinking knuckle. Mine is still broken with a chip and 2 cracks,...I still ride though. Lots of motrin for the swelling after the race. I just love riding too much and I suck at running.......Are you going to do cyclocross?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Anyone know anybody that has what is meant to be used with a single speed that they want to get rid of?

2007 Mary 29 SS 17" = Carbon Bars, Carbon One One Fork, 4 rides on it. $600 - Test rides available.

RNG1

I've never really done any trail running although the way some of my races have gone this season I should be pretty primed for it. I know I couldn't bear to run on the road and I do have some trails at the end of my street that it would be convenient so I figure why not, it will probably keep my lungs in shape better than what I'll be able to do on the bike for the next month. If it heals well I should be ok in a month or so, so I am not sweating it too much. There are a couple of people with some injuries that are a lot worse on this site. Thanks for the good wishes.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry to hear it's broke Rob. You were getting stronger each race. Have fun with the running thing.:drooling: See you at the DH40.

keithsly

I've never really done any trail running although the way some of my races have gone this season I should be pretty primed for it.

My suggestion would be to make sure you get a couple miles in on the road to build up the running ability before going full force on the trails. I've done an aweful lot of both trail running and road running to say that you fatigue much faster on the trail depending on terrain. (Chimney Rock is very difficult trail running) And I've have had sprawling on my chest episodes trail running at Chimney Rock....

Good Luck with it and hilly runs work your hamstrings like nothing else awesome from racing !!

RNG1

My suggestion would be to make sure you get a couple miles in on the road to build up the running ability before going full force on the trails. I've done an aweful lot of both trail running and road running to say that you fatigue much faster on the trail depending on terrain. (Chimney Rock is very difficult trail running) And I've have had sprawling on my chest episodes trail running at Chimney Rock....

Good Luck with it and hilly runs work your hamstrings like nothing else awesome from racing !!

I hear ya, what I meant by trail running which may be showing how little I know of it, is simply running on some local trails that are not that challenging but is more scenic and less stress on the body than pavement. I plan to go easy on the terrain as I certainly do not need another sport to be breaking my body apart with. Thanks for the input.

F

FallGirl1430

Sorry to hear about your injury, good luck with the healing process ...

This Sunday is the race I've been looking foward to since last year. The NYCMTB Highbridge race in NYC. I sware I'm thinking of racing with one arm. I have offered to help out with sign up and if anyone is going, I will see you there. That is if I don't race,

A sad Fallen girl ... :(

RNG1

Rockin the road

Got out today early for a road ride and did a 30 mile ritual of mine that only has 1 hill to speak of at the midway point. It took a little while to find a comfortable position for my left hand with the cast but was able to find that I could keep pretty much all my emphasis on my good arm and hand and just wrap a couple of fingers from my left hand on the bar. Can not get out of the saddle at all other than to stretch a little. Can't use the front brake or change chainrings but that was not an issue. I did find that by not using my upper body at all that my legs got twice the workout I would normally get on this ride. I have a feeling that I will actually have some soreness on my legs in spots that I didn't know I had. Around 20 miles or so into it my right shoulder and lower back started to get sore which doesn't usually happen to me either but it is obviously my body compensating for not being able to pull with both arms like normal. There is a guy around on the road that I have seen that has a prosthetic arm and after today I have an even greater respect for him and am grateful that my situation is just a minor setback. I was happy to see that I still came home with my computer avg at 18 mph including the hill and a stop to talk with someone I knew. For most of the ride there was a very light rain and I had a feeling of dedication that made me feel really good about my self. I find when I ride the road in not perfect condition there is a certain respect that is shared with all the runners and riders that get out regardless of the weather. I did have my ipod on shuffle and at one point an old Michael Mcdonald (doobie bros) song came on that I haven't heard in a really long time that had a line that resonated to my core. "You'll always have a chance to give up, so why do it now?".

Top Bottom