A strong 7
Someone please come up with a better title for this series :rolleyes:

Date: July 5th
Time: 8:00AM
Place: Ringwood
Pace: Social/Casual
Distance: 10 +/- miles
Host: Will/Glancing Aft

Thanks to Will for stepping up to the plate on this one. This is a ride to clear the cobwebs out from the July 4th Festivities. Just to remind everyone, the intent of this ride "series" can be found here. GA will fill us in on the details.

Glancing Aft

Come out and celebrate our nations 74,510th day of freedom the day after Independence Day (that’s July 5th) in Ringwood, NJ for a social mountain bike ride. Meeting time will be at 7:45am with an 8:00am departure at Ryerson School Parking Lot.

Depending on the groups ability we will go out for between a 10-12 mile ride and shoot to be back to the cars no later than 10:30. The loop that I have in mind will include School House Trail, The New Trail, part of the Race Loop, 6 Bridges, and Renegade to name a few, but can also be easily trimmed to the groups riding ability.

Reasons you should join:

1) Unless you’re away on a vacation, really what else do you have to do the day after a holiday?
2) Chances are you ate and drank a lot on the 4th, time to burn it off!
3) I’ve been riding the trails of Ringwood on and off for 14 years, that’s half my life, so I at least think I have a good grasp of the trail network and can pick a good route for the group!
4) RVCC is in the middle of constructing what will be one of the best Single Track trails in Northern New Jersey, if you don’t know the trail network well this is a great opportunity to check it out!
5) It’s my birthday, 28 years young!
6) I’m moving to York Pennsylvania and this will be my last weekend in New Jersey!
7) Yes you read that right, New Jersey will be Glancing Aft Free, now there’s something to celebrate!

Please note, for those of you that have not ridden Ringwood before, it can be on the technical side as far as parks go. Not to discourage anyone, but because of the terrain I would rate this as an advanced beginner ride. Nobody will be dropped, we are out here to have fun!

Last edited:
A

*alyssa*

Come out and celebrate our nations 74,510th day of freedom the day after Independence Day (that’s July 5th) in Ringwood, NJ for a social mountain bike ride. Meeting time will be at 7:45am with an 8:00am departure at Ryerson School Parking Lot.

Depending on the groups ability we will go out for between a 10-12 mile ride and shoot to be back to the cars no later than 10:30. The loop that I have in mind will include School House Trail, The New Trail, part of the Race Loop, 6 Bridges, and Renegade to name a few, but can also be easily trimmed to the groups riding ability.

Reasons you should join:

1) Unless you’re away on a vacation, really what else do you have to do the day after a holiday?
3) I’ve been riding the trails of Ringwood on and off for 14 years, that’s half my life, so I at least I think I have a good grasp of the trail network and can pick a good route for the group!
4) RVCC is in the middle of constructing what will be one of the best Single Track trails in Northern New Jersey, if you don’t know the trail network well this is a great opportunity to check it out!
6) I’m moving to York Pennsylvania and this will be my last weekend in New Jersey!
7) Yes you read that right, New Jersey will be Glancing Aft Free, now there’s something to celebrate!

Please note, for those of you that have not ridden Ringwood before, it can be on the technical side as far as parks go. Not to discourage anyone, but because of the terrain I would rate this as an advanced beginner ride. Nobody will be dropped, we are out here to have fun!

I'm in:D

A

*alyssa*

Reasons you should join:

3) I’ve been riding the trails of Ringwood on and off for 14 years, that’s half my life, so I at least I think I have a good grasp of the trail network and can pick a good route for the group!

I'm in. No bears please:D

Glancing Aft

Sorry, no significant others allowed :p :D

We need something to feed to the bears!

BTW, if anybody has any questions please feel free to post up or PM me. I'll PM everyone who's attending the ride my cellphone number a day or so before the ride so you can reach out to me if need be.

* An interesting Ringwood factoid, or perhaps it would be a Will factoid. I have only ever seen a bear in my parents backyard (and many many times) in Ringwood and never actually run into any while ridding.

Engignar

I'm in. I will bring raw steaks so we can feed the bears those instead of feeding them slower riders and girlfriends.

How about we call the series the MTBNJ Traveling Hooligan Road Show, Or the Drop your pants not the riders summer series.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We defnitely need a title for this series. The Travelling Hooligan Series gets my vote. Then the ride leader could be the Holligan Leader. And if Gilligan led a ride, then played golf and needed to call a Mulligan, and had gone to the University of St. Louis, he could be the Travelling Hooligan Gilligan Billiken who needed a Mulligan.

A

*alyssa*

I'm in. I will bring raw steaks so we can feed the bears those instead of feeding them slower riders and girlfriends.

How about we call the series the MTBNJ Traveling Hooligan Road Show, Or the Drop your pants not the riders summer series.

You guys are mean. I'm bringing my bear spray and reviewing my bear safety tips.

Glancing Aft

For everyone's safety, below I have posted the latest Ringwood Bear Population Distribution Map with our possible route. As you can see I have picked a route that specifically stays away from dark green areas (bear populations over 1100) and stayed withing the 500- 700 bear range. :D:D:D:D

RINGWOODBearPopulation.jpg

Okay, back to work...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
to contribute to the bear factoid....
I've also been riding Ringwood for a long time and never seen a bear in the trails, however I did see one at the school parking lot about 4 yrs ago.

I'll try to make it on the 5th for a quickie.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
For everyone's safety, below I have posted the latest Ringwood Bear Population Distribution Map with our possible route. As you can see I have picked a route that specifically stays away from dark green areas (bear populations over 1100) and stayed withing the 500- 700 bear range. :D:D:D:D

RINGWOODBearPopulation.jpg

Okay, back to work...

Wow, last days at work and nothing to do??? :p

J-Dro

to contribute to the bear factoid....
I've also been riding Ringwood for a long time and never seen a bear in the trails, however I did see one at the school parking lot about 4 yrs ago.

Thats weird. I only get to ride Ringwood a couple of times a year and I ran into a bear on the 6 bridges trail last year. Mergs is my witness. I have also run into a bear on the yellow trail near skyline drive. Hmmmm.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I have not seen bears this year YET, but saw some last year by the schoolhouse trail. A mom and 3 grown cubs that are probably out of the house an on their own by now.

However, I have noticed an unusually prolific amount of blueberries (still green) this year. So the bears must be licking their chops waiting. :D

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Thats weird. I only get to ride Ringwood a couple of times a year and I ran into a bear on the 6 bridges trail last year. Mergs is my witness. I have also run into a bear on the yellow trail near skyline drive. Hmmmm.

That's cuz they come out looking for the "non-regulars" :p

Same at Skyline, only one bear spotting back in 2001... up by the house ruins.

Glancing Aft

A mom and 3 grown cubs that are probably out of the house an on their own by now.

Last I heard of the triplets they had seperated from their mommy but have moved more towards the other side of town. The bear population near my parents house (near school house trail and 6 bridges) is kind of low right now. They've just been getting one teenage male hanging around. Kind of a smaller guy, but on a mission to eat bird seed, even if it means breaking a fence.

A

*alyssa*

Are you serious?? 500-700 bears in the area? I thought we were talking like 10 bears or less total. I'll calm down about the bears and forget they live there.

Top Bottom