my intro and some racing questions...

sixseven

Hey all just wanted to say HI and thanks so far for all the great information and humor I have gotten from the boards here. A wealth of information and some great in the gutter humor!

I got back into the saddle a few years ago after moving to central NJ from Brooklyn NY and came across MTBNJ last summer and lurked for some time before posting. I used to ride a lot in Vermont when I lived there years ago but got out of it while living in the city.

I ride at the Kilmer Eco preserve often and sometimes on the canal tow path but only when I hate myself...:rofl:

I have really been enjoying 6 mile as of late. Great trails there but I still havent found my way all the way from the 27 lot to the canal road with out bailing out to the road. Looking to get on a group ride soon to get a real tour and see what I am missing. Also looking forward to the next TM there. Love that place, girlfriend rides too and loves it there.

some questions about racing: whats the best way to determine what class I should or could be racing in? I am 41 and want to race the Highbridge xc on July 6th and the 24hours of Allamuchy in august. Any help on that?

Very much looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone!
ROKK TUFF!!!

xc62701

Umm...well the 24 hour race there aren't any categories...just race! For the other races I'd just enter the beginner category and then just bump up if it's too easy. If you think you can be competitive for 14 miles then go for sport.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
yo

i had the same problem at 6 mile... if you're coming from the 27 side of things... when you get to the first road, just cross it, and go into the driveway across the street - before the gate - enter into the trail on your right.

when you come to the second street... if you have hit the street, you have gone too far. the trail kinda forks when the street is in sight - go left so you cross the stream, up the quick steep, and bear left... that will take you to the canal.

i used to hit that second rd, and just not know where to go. and when i came in from the canal side of things... i didnt know where to go at first, then i put it together. only took about 10 minutes of riding up and down that road.

i'm smart. :eek:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Just curious, have you even ridden Allamuchy, or Highbridge? Because they are completely different animals from the three places you mentioned, and pretty much all of VT other than Millstone. Allamuchy has some pretty huge hills all the while going over rock features, and Highland has pretty much the hardest Tech per square foot i have ridden. I haven't ridden Highland since last year, and myself and a buddy couldn't go more than 10 feet on the more difficult trail there. I'm obviously not an expert rider. Anyways, i was just wondering if you had checked out Northern NJ because it is completely different than the central NJ riding. I would say Clayton, Six Mile, Hartshorne, and Allaire are about as close to Kingdom Trails as we get here. Every trail above Chimney Rock takes on a different look entirely.

sixseven

Umm...well the 24 hour race there aren't any categories...just race! For the other races I'd just enter the beginner category and then just bump up if it's too easy. If you think you can be competitive for 14 miles then go for sport.

Thats about what I was thinking, sport. Looking forward to competing!

I havent made it up to Allamuchy yet, planning on doing so real soon...Is it like Round Valley but with more rock features? I hiked the Round Valley trail or fire road whatever is yesterday. Some big climbs for sure.

Hoping to hit Highbridge this weekend.

sixseven

yo

i had the same problem at 6 mile... if you're coming from the 27 side of things... when you get to the first road, just cross it, and go into the driveway across the street - before the gate - enter into the trail on your right.

when you come to the second street... if you have hit the street, you have gone too far. the trail kinda forks when the street is in sight - go left so you cross the stream, up the quick steep, and bear left... that will take you to the canal.

i used to hit that second rd, and just not know where to go. and when i came in from the canal side of things... i didnt know where to go at first, then i put it together. only took about 10 minutes of riding up and down that road.

i'm smart. :eek:
yo yo,
So the second road you mention is Blackmills road I think...thats where I have bailed out. I got that part worked out now but still cant get all the way thru to the canal. No worries, it will come together in due time. i will try starting on the canal side next.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I havent made it up to Allamuchy yet, planning on doing so real soon...Is it like Round Valley but with more rock features? I hiked the Round Valley trail or fire road whatever is yesterday. Some big climbs for sure.

Hoping to hit Highbridge this weekend.

Round Valley is one of the few places i haven't ridden in the area, so i'm not sure. From the descriptions i've read it didn't sound too appealing for my tastes. I made it out to Sourlands a few times though, which i guess is in the same area, and man that is one of the most bad ass trials i've seen. Not many miles but it makes up for it with constant action.

No offense to the people that put in tons of hours into Highbridge, but it wasn't worth the trip for me. But it is creepy there, and very short. You will see, or maybe you won't, maybe it has changed in a year. The amazing thing about Highbridge beyond the brutal tech of the expert loop is that is in Manhattan.

Allamuchy has a lot of climbing, and quite a bit of fun technical stuff. The big challenge of riding at Allamuchy is putting together a loop that includes little fireroads. Then again the fireroads are pretty fun too.

RNG1

Hey, I am a Brooklyn transplant myself and this is my first year back racing in like 12 years or so. I am only a couple of years older than you. I wonder if we were part of the same crew. What part of brooklyn were you from?

sixseven

RNG1, I never raced while living in Brooklyn. Spent most of my time there trying to eeek out an existence while testing the taps for positive flow at a lot of watering holes in Williamsburgh and Greenpoint. It was good times for sure, shy on MTB and I dont do road. Good to be out here in NJ, fresh air, space and so much great stuff nearby.

IDBRIAN, I will be checking out Highbridge soon and will be on the lookout for the creepiness. is it 'bring mace' type of creeper or just environmental creepy creep? it sounds awesome up there. Manhattan has a new face every couple of years these days and I would say its pretty safe everywhere on that exotic little island off the east coast.

GT2BREW, looking forward to a tour of Allaire sometime...you own that place or what?

ARMYOFNONE, get out and race have fun, good plan! Feel like I may be in over my head with the 24 Hours of Allamuchy but I wont know til its over, right. I know it will be a blast for me either way. Thanks for the simple plan!

Happy Friday riding all!!!:):):)

Top Bottom