What is the difference in singletrack and trails

scotth

Hello,

I did some searches but nothing really came up, I watched some youtube videos and it looked singletrack videos were all on tight trails. I'm about to buy my first bike, thats why I'm asking. I like trails with lots of different types of terrain. Thank you for any information, any bike suggestions under 2k would also be helpful.

Regards,

Scott

dualfisted

U got it Scott, singletrack is the tight and (hopefully) twisty stuff. Doubletrack and fireroads are more open and generally made by ATV's and four wheelers.
As for a bike under 2K? You'll get a ton of different replies on that one. It really depends on tons of factors and there's tons of options within that realm. First rule, no department store bikes, LBS (local bike shop) only. LBS backs up their bikes, makes adjustments and has experienced mechs. assemble their rides. Then, it comes down to what type of riding you plan to do, XC, freeride, downhill etc. Also, your size and any health ailments (bad back and such). Keep in mind, most bicycles aren't made for 200 pound guys, bigger guys gotta pay for a solid bike to keep from constantly breaking/ wearing out parts. Then u gotta decide whether to go rigid, front suspension or dual suspension, all of which u can get in that price realm. Also, u don't wanna unload 2K on a bike you're not gonna ride, so being you're first bike you may not wanna dive that deep into the wallet. There's pro'ly tons more to consider too, but that covers a good little base there and my recommendation is to make some trips to the bike shop, test ride ecverything in your price realm, then goto another shop with different brands of bikes and test ride all theirs. Have an idea of the type of riding u wanna do and let the shop personnel steer you in a particular direction. Also, read some mtb mag back issues and get their bike reviews, those guys ride tons of bikes a year and can distinguish good handling and performance characteristics in a bike far better than the average schmo who rides only a handful of bikes in a lifetime. Also know that u gotta decide what size wheel bike you're gonna like in this whole schpeal, 26 inch bikes were the standard, but there's tons of guys riding 29ers right now, so test ride both. You've got your work cut out for ya man, but the main thing is to just get out there and ride, don't ride over your head and enjoy the sport, also, ride on legal trails only, nothin sets the sport back further than guys riding illegally. Good luck. I'm posting this from my phone, so if I missed stuff, or peeps already gave good advice, totally ignore me.

F

FallGirl1430

U got it Scott, singletrack is the tight and (hopefully) twisty stuff. Doubletrack and fireroads are more open and generally made by ATV's and four wheelers.
As for a bike under 2K? You'll get a ton of different replies on that one. It really depends on tons of factors and there's tons of options within that realm. First rule, no department store bikes, LBS (local bike shop) only. LBS backs up their bikes, makes adjustments and has experienced mechs. assemble their rides. Then, it comes down to what type of riding you plan to do, XC, freeride, downhill etc. Also, your size and any health ailments (bad back and such). Keep in mind, most bicycles aren't made for 200 pound guys, bigger guys gotta pay for a solid bike to keep from constantly breaking/ wearing out parts. Then u gotta decide whether to go rigid, front suspension or dual suspension, all of which u can get in that price realm. Also, u don't wanna unload 2K on a bike you're not gonna ride, so being you're first bike you may not wanna dive that deep into the wallet. There's pro'ly tons more to consider too, but that covers a good little base there and my recommendation is to make some trips to the bike shop, test ride ecverything in your price realm, then goto another shop with different brands of bikes and test ride all theirs. Have an idea of the type of riding u wanna do and let the shop personnel steer you in a particular direction. Also, read some mtb mag back issues and get their bike reviews, those guys ride tons of bikes a year and can distinguish good handling and performance characteristics in a bike far better than the average schmo who rides only a handful of bikes in a lifetime. Also know that u gotta decide what size wheel bike you're gonna like in this whole schpeal, 26 inch bikes were the standard, but there's tons of guys riding 29ers right now, so test ride both. You've got your work cut out for ya man, but the main thing is to just get out there and ride, don't ride over your head and enjoy the sport, also, ride on legal trails only, nothin sets the sport back further than guys riding illegally. Good luck. I'm posting this from my phone, so if I missed stuff, or peeps already gave good advice, totally ignore me.

TJ, #1 where have you been? I haven't seen you around in a dogs age (not sure what that means)
#2 you typed that reply from your phone! Sheesh, you must have a really big phone or really small fingers. In any case, excellent advice that pretty much said it all.
Christina ... :)

Not So Fast

Also

The advise is pretty good. Here's some more stuff to consider. Depending on what type of riding you're planning on doing. You're gonna have to spend some loot on on incidentals. i.e. helmet, a hydration system and comfort items like gloves, shorts, eye protection....

dualfisted

Kristina as well as newb dude scott

TJ, #1 where have you been? I haven't seen you around in a dogs age (not sure what that means)
#2 you typed that reply from your phone! Sheesh, you must have a really big phone or really small fingers. In any case, excellent advice that pretty much said it all.
Christina ... :)

Yeah Scott, don't forget the incidentals, the advice yur gettin' to go to Halters where yur at sounds solid too, I hear good things.

Kristina, Hey! I'm still around, my interweb access right now is pretty much just thru my new Blackberry Curve cuz I moved and the house computer bites the big one, so I don't do too much typing online. Also, had broken rear deraileur issues on my Stumpy and being that it's a 97, both the Specialized and the Shimano replacement parts were pretty slow in coming. I'm back on the trail again now, but still waiting on new front chainrings which I didn't anticipate needing on the first order. So, if u wanna ride somewhere hit me up, the job gives me solid time off, sometimes weird days of the week tho. Definately doing the Allaire tuesday evening rides every other week tho, this tuesday I'm on it.
Lates, TJ

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i highly agree with what not so fast said about all the little things. when i got my bike i got a helmet and gloves. not realizing all the things i needed as well. my first ride out i wore regular cargo shorts and a regular tshirt as well as just the waterbottle in my bottle holder. by the time i got back to the car i was out of water, and i was soaking wet with sweat. you need some good wicking shirts that will push the sweat away from your body. also if you are going to be on some rugged trails or even just on the bike for a good amount of time, you are going to want to get some padded shorts. i just picked some up recently and boy was that a night and day difference. your crotch/grundle will thank you for sure. also i picked up a nice camelbak bag with a big resovoir in it. you are going to need the water on the trails. all these things add up in price, but its all worth it in the end.also, try to get out on some beginner group rides if you can. im rather new to this as well, but over the past 2 months or so from riding with expierienced riders, my riding has improved dramatically. i have a ton of confidence on my bike now that i didnt have a few months ago. so best of luck to you and hopefully well see you out on the trails soon!

Top Bottom