Cutting the cord (this again!)

Does anyone have any experience with Sling TV? I don't think there's the ability for DVR functionality but it almost looks too good to be true.

That's what I'm using, they offer a cloud DVR for $5 a month. Not all channels offer dvr service (I think the Disney stuff is excluded, you can find it on their site).

The DVR has been spotty (as in missing recordings). I also can't seem to watch any movies, so I think something is wrong with my account. I need to call them.

Otherwise the service had been good so far. The app navigation on fire tv could be better IMO but most of these things are designed to be navigated by a 4 way joystick so I guess it will never be perfect.

Otherwise the service had been good so far.
Thanks, I'll skip the DVR for now. How do the local channels work? I'm looking for a back-door way into picking up the local NBC station since my OTA antenna is striking out.

@pearl, I'd get away from the router/modem combo. If one piece breaks, then the whole thing is smoked. I'd look for something handling close to 1gbps (that Moto shows 686 mbps) since I think thats the max speed that TWC offers. Even if you don't subscribe to internet that fast, you can still move things within your home at those speeds. A USB port is nice to connect a hard drive to be a media server.

Generally I'd suggest sticking to Netgear or Linksys or a company that makes just networking products. Also that Moto doesn't look like it offers a guest network. Look for refurbs or Amazon Warehouse deals (scratch and dent) on Amazon. This stuff is going to be stuck in a closet so if it's beat up or ugly (like that Nighthawk that @MadisonDan linked to :oops:) then nobody will ever see it.

@pearl, I'd get away from the router/modem combo. If one piece breaks, then the whole thing is smoked. I'd look for something handling close to 1gbps (that Moto shows 686 mbps) since I think thats the max speed that TWC offers. Even if you don't subscribe to internet that fast, you can still move things within your home at those speeds. A USB port is nice to connect a hard drive to be a media server.

Generally I'd suggest sticking to Netgear or Linksys or a company that makes just networking products. Also that Moto doesn't look like it offers a guest network. Look for refurbs or Amazon Warehouse deals (scratch and dent) on Amazon. This stuff is going to be stuck in a closet so if it's beat up or ugly (like that Nighthawk that @MadisonDan linked to :oops:) then nobody will ever see it.
That Nighthawk covers my entire house, and almost all of the houses on either side of me.... It's a monster. But yes, it's hidden in a closet.

it's hidden in a closet.
Trapped_In_The_Closet_Chapters_1-22.jpg

Thanks, I'll skip the DVR for now. How do the local channels work? I'm looking for a back-door way into picking up the local NBC station since my OTA antenna is striking out.

Generally they're not included. There's a few fox derivatives included, don't think NBC is though. You can get a free 2 week trial I think.

You're too young to talk about fax machines. Maybe mini-disk players or ZIP drives, just maybe.
ha yes, zip drives, FAIL

So we did it, I picked up that router/modem and fire tv. purchased the Elite Vue package. Love it. upset we haven't done it sooner. Excited to call TWC and tell them to take their crap back.

So far the biggest thing I'm missing from ditching cable is the clock on the cable box. Now I have to turn around to look at the stove or microwave for the time.

So far the biggest thing I'm missing from ditching cable is the clock on the cable box. Now I have to turn around to look at the stove or microwave for the time.
ha, the time between the stove/microwave is off by 2 minutes, not sure which one is right

Same here, except my microwave broke 2 months ago and I never got a new one, so now it's all up to the stove. I keep staying up too late because of this.

Bonus, Sling Blue package (the $25 one) includes NBCSN for all your TDF viewing, wherever you are.

They offer a 7 day free trial (not sure if that's the orange or blue pkg, might be whatever you choose).

Bonus, Sling Blue package (the $25 one) includes NBCSN for all your TDF viewing, wherever you are.

They offer a 7 day free trial (not sure if that's the orange or blue pkg, might be whatever you choose).
I actually just cancelled Sling, but still have access for a few weeks. WIN!

Reactions: rlb
Back
Top Bottom