Fabric Saddles?

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
What is the consensus on Fabric Saddles?

http://fabric.cc/
http://fabric.cc/
Looking at the Line (142mm) as a multi-purpose saddle for CX and road. I've always ever just used whatever saddles were attached to the bike when I got it, and my back end hasn't ever complained too much. Thoughts/feedback/anecdotes? Good for MTB as well?

hotsauce

They're owned by Dorel (owners of Cannondale) which is why they're spec-ed on many of their bikes. I can't image they're bad saddles, but the most important thing is fit. Find a fabric dealer and demo a saddle for a few rides/weeks to see what works for you. No two butts are alike and saddles are very much a comfort thing.

I'd recommend finding one that is reasonably priced then buying the same one for all of your bikes. Dialing in saddle takes time and its near impossible to move saddles bike to bike without a bunch of fiddling to get everything right.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Anything has to be an improvement from their bottles.
Uh oh, I don't know this one. Enlighten me?

They're owned by Dorel (owners of Cannondale) which is why they're spec-ed on many of their bikes. I can't image they're bad saddles, but the most important thing is fit. Find a fabric dealer and demo a saddle for a few rides/weeks to see what works for you. No two butts are alike and saddles are very much a comfort thing.

I'd recommend finding one that is reasonably priced then buying the same one for all of your bikes. Dialing in saddle takes time and its near impossible to move saddles bike to bike without a bunch of fiddling to get everything right.
Demo saddles are really actually a thing? BIKES ARE GREAT, YOU CAN DEMO EVERYTHING.

Part of the issue is that I've never really had a bad saddle experience, so I don't really know what to avoid. Is it worth it to measure/somehow quantify existing saddles I have (i.e. actually look them up) and see if there are commonalities or things I like about all of them?

Ed471

You do have to try out saddles because everybody is different but I love the fabric scoop saddle. Once I tried it I wound up buying a few so I have them on my different bikes, all mtb

hotsauce

Part of the issue is that I've never really had a bad saddle experience, so I don't really know what to avoid. Is it worth it to measure/somehow quantify existing saddles I have (i.e. actually look them up) and see if there are commonalities or things I like about all of them?
Measuring yourself and saddles is a crap shoot. The measuring yourself part is probably impossible to do at home.

You'll know a bad saddle when you sit on it. Nothing should be numb after an hour of riding, or 15 minutes of riding for that matter. Gotta protect the boys.

Also a saddle fit will be part of a good bike fit so if you feel like spending big $$$, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Karate Monkey

Uh oh, I don't know this one. Enlighten me?

Two-bit solution to a one-cent problem--mounting lugs that you bolt onto the bike, that interface with [only] their bottles. They're light, sure, but the only actual problem they solve is making it easier to shoulder the bike when you remove the bottles.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Two-bit solution to a one-cent problem--mounting lugs that you bolt onto the bike, that interface with [only] their bottles. They're light, sure, but the only actual problem they solve is making it easier to shoulder the bike when you remove the bottles.

Just looked at these. Considering how sloppily I shove bottles back into cages while riding, I can see where this can go horribly wrong.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
You'll know a bad saddle when you sit on it. Nothing should be numb after an hour of riding, or 15 minutes of riding for that matter. Gotta protect the boys.
Amen to that. I still need that stuff to work for a while. I would assume thing start to get...iffy?...on really long rides like HoH no matter the saddle? Or does a good seat still feel good for that long?

Also a saddle fit will be part of a good bike fit so if you feel like spending big $$$, you can kill two birds with one stone.
I'm a hard no on the "big $$$" part. I have heard that you might go to 3 different fitters and get 3 different fits. I've considered going eventually (because chronic health problems where ergonomics are important) but I feel like it wouldn't be worth it if I'm on different bikes over the next few years. Poor assumption? I mean, the money for a fit could be a portion of a new-to-me bike, but don't want to be dumb about it.

hotsauce

Rides like HoH shouldn't be that bad since you're in and out of the saddle a bunch. I find anything over 90 minutes on the trainer where you aren't doing any out of the saddle work is the true test.

I'm sure there are others here that can comment better on if a bike fit is worth it. I've only had a bad one (don't go to Hart's in Pennington, ever). The Bike Fast Fit app isn't bad for the price. It will get you close in every angle as long as you have time to do the fiddling.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rides like HoH shouldn't be that bad since you're in and out of the saddle a bunch. I find anything over 90 minutes on the trainer where you aren't doing any out of the saddle work is the true test.

I'm sure there are others here that can comment better on if a bike fit is worth it. I've only had a bad one (don't go to Hart's in Pennington, ever). The Bike Fast Fit app isn't bad for the price. It will get you close in every angle as long as you have time to do the fiddling.
The only time I'm ever out of the saddle is on a singlespeed on a punch climb.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you pronounce it with a French accent? Reminded me of this for some reason:

huffster

I continue to experiment with saddles. I've been trying to find that balance between fit, price, and durability.

I was a WTB Pure V fan. Super comfy! But I have found that in order to get to the more durable models, it starts to get past my desired price-point.

I tried some ridiculously light carbon fiber saddle. It was extremely hard and uncomfortable. That did not last long!

I've got an Ergon SMC-3M on 1 bike right now and so far its holding up well since last October. It was under $55 and rather comfy.

Regarding Fabric. About 2 months ago, I installed a Scoop Radius Elite and it matches the comfort of the WTB. Price was $65. Only time will tell on the durability. I also liked that I could just get it in plain black. So many saddles over do the color and/or have gaudy logos.

All this said, in order I put comfort, then I'm looking for a balance on price and durability. And weight doesn't get too much consideration.

Top Bottom