mountain bike vs. road bike

M

MEAN IRISH GIRL

If this is in the wrong place just let me know and Ill move it thanks!!
About 4 months ago I bought myself a trek 780 mountain bike with the expectation that I would be doing a lot of trail riding. I havent done any yet but I HAVE done alot of road cycling and I've found I really love it. I actually think I'm going to enjoy distance riding more than trail riding and I havent even tried it yet!
So now my problem is this: I still want to try mountain biking or at least some light trail riding but I was hoping there was a way I can modify my bike to be more road friendly without having to buy a whole different bike.

Any help would be great!

Kmoodymz3

That's about the only thing you can do. Put on faster rolling, lighter tires. But I don't even bother.

I do lots of road riding to get hours in the saddle in for endurance training. I don't even own a road bike. I actually like knowing I don't have to worry about potholes, debris in the road, curbs, etc. It feels safe to me.

We did the Tour de Chesapeake on Saturday, a road ride in VA. Did the metric century, 62 miles, on my Mojo SL a FS, 5 1/2" travel AM bike with my husband on Fuel 100, FS XC bike. We averaged 18.5 mph and only got passed by one other rider the whole ride so we are not that slow. :)

That said, You MUST try the trails. It blows away even the best day on the road for me.

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I started with knobbys on pavement.
Believe me, it makes you stronger.
Though it does wear the tires a bit faster(and it's noisier), if and when you do decide to get a real road bike, you'll be kick @$$ fast.

NJ Jess

slicks

Agree here. A mtb with slicks is good for road riding, especially learning to do hills. Research the road bike you are Really interested in, but remember,....mtbing in the winter is better than the road so keep you mountain bike.

wingers

Ride your Mtn Bike on the topath for miles or find those gravel roads that roadies dislike.
Another possibility is get a lower end cyclocross bike! Could be a good transition between road and mtn.

Trails are awsome! You just need to go out with a few friends that know the way.
Enjoy!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree with Kmoodymz3. I don't own a road bike (yet) but do a lot of road riding with my mtb. It's a great endurance workout and you don't having to worry about any debris on the road.

I'm am told once I have a road bike I won't ever consider riding my mtb on the road....but for now I know no different.

Get some more trail miles under your belt and you're preference my be swayed. It's an awesome sport!

Kmoodymz3

I'm am told once I have a road bike I won't ever consider riding my mtb on the road....but for now I know no different.

I've been told that too, which is why I have only ridden a road bike once in my life, last summer (if you can believe it) just to try it. Fortunately the ride was not long enough for me to get hooked :)

Spylab

I very rarely ride my Giant on the road; comparably it's pig slow and heavy, plus the tarmac will chew up my tires way too fast. It's also a ridiculous amount of extra technology to peddle around the streets - disc brakes, 6" travel suspension, chain guide, etc.

I bought a simple fixed gear Surly for road riding - the difference in speed and smoothness is immediately noticeable. I get a kick ass workout from the fixed hub, and when I stop somewhere I am a LOT less worried about theft - the scum around here that would be apt to steal a bicycle would definitely go for the mountain bike with all the bells and whistles (probably not even knowing the 3k price tag) than the little white road bike with skinny tires and no rear brake.

I must say, though, that once you put a couple hours in on some decent and inviting trails (KVSP if you're in the northwest), you will LOOOOOOOOOVE mountain biking!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I agree with Kmoodymz3. I don't own a road bike (yet) but do a lot of road riding with my mtb. It's a great endurance workout and you don't having to worry about any debris on the road.

Get some more trail miles under your belt and you're preference my be swayed. It's an awesome sport!

i have a road bike, but i definitely prefer to ride my mtb on the road. there're so many trails up here that i sometimes just feel like turning off the road onto one. the mtb let's me do that without worry.

liong71er

i don't own road bike, n never want one either.
with mtb u can ride any trails condition and road,but road bike can't do like mtb riding but mtb can do both.(vice versa)
infact as of today at 2 pm i went for a ride from my apt to high mountain (w/o car ofcourse):)

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Road or Mountain

i don't own road bike, n never want one either.
with mtb u can ride any trails condition and road,but road bike can't do like mtb riding but mtb can do both.(vice versa)
infact as of today at 2 pm i went for a ride from my apt to high mountain (w/o car ofcourse):)

Both all the time, always, road, mountain, mountain, road, road, mountain, mountain road. Are you kidding me?? You got to go out on the road with the right crew and a whole new experience is there for the endorphins.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I own both the road bike I use for over 30 mile rides....
the mountain bike I ride to the trails about 6 miles then the trail rides.
both are usefull I find the road a bit more like a jog you find your pace and lock in for X number of time...
the mountain is a rush from start to finish....
l8tr...

M

MEAN IRISH GIRL

thanks for all the help! i think ill stick with the mtn bike as is for a while then ill get some slicks.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
This way you can head on down for the fun on Tuesday nights....

hahaha i doubt we will see her on tuesday nights man. i mean, id love to have her there with us but shes gotta get her used to riding on trails that arent flat. soon enough though i hope.

Top Bottom