Garmin 820 Protection

jackx

I am new to the Garmin world so I have a couple of questions at this time with regards to physically protecting the unit. I recently got a Garmin 820 and was thinking about protecting it with a silicone cover/boot and possibly a screen protector.

Does anyone use either of these on their Garmin computers? I can't find either online or on Garmin.com for the 820. Not sure if this is because it is the newest model, although I believe it has been out since July 2016. They seem to be available for the 520, but the 520 does not have touch-screen and so it has a lot more side buttons than the 820. Therefore, the silicone covers for the 520 don't seem to be usable for the 820. Not sure if the 820 touch-screen would work with a screen protector because the 820's touch-screen functionality seems temperamental.

Are covers not needed since Garmin includes the leash? Maybe I am over thinking this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I am new to the Garmin world so I have a couple of questions at this time with regards to physically protecting the unit. I recently got a Garmin 820 and was thinking about protecting it with a silicone cover/boot and possibly a screen protector.

Does anyone use either of these on their Garmin computers? I can't find either online or on Garmin.com for the 820. Not sure if this is because it is the newest model, although I believe it has been out since July 2016. They seem to be available for the 520, but the 520 does not have touch-screen and so it has a lot more side buttons than the 820. Therefore, the silicone covers for the 520 don't seem to be usable for the 820. Not sure if the 820 touch-screen would work with a screen protector because the 820's touch-screen functionality seems temperamental.

Are covers not needed since Garmin includes the leash? Maybe I am over thinking this.

Thanks!
I bought both off ebay for mu 820. The silicone case came with an extra screen protector on top as well.

jackx

I bought both off ebay for mu 820. The silicone case came with an extra screen protector on top as well.
Thanks for the tip on ebay. I did not check ebay. I hope the quality of the stuff you got from ebay was good/acceptable.

jackx

I have not used anything and have zero issues in two years. That includes many incidents of a frozen over (literally with ice) and dropped device. The 8 series is strong like bull.
Thanks! Soundz like you might have an 800 or 810 if you've had it for 2 years. Hopefully the 820 has the same bull genes.

Top Bottom