Lewis Morris Conditions

Looks like all the logs are gone- like all of the even the ones that have been there for years
went riding there this past weekend.... i noticed some were missing but there were still quite a few left... that's annoying if someone's going thru and cutting them all out. :/

Been through this cycle for a few years and here is what I can say with relative certainty:

1. Trees keep falling
2. Those chainsaw people are lazy folk

The logs will come back, slowly.

went riding there this past weekend.... i noticed some were missing but there were still quite a few left... that's annoying if someone's going thru and cutting them all out. :/

Yeah I rode Tuesday afternoon- they are all gone with the exception of 2...

Been through this cycle for a few years and here is what I can say with relative certainty:

1. Trees keep falling
2. Those chainsaw people are lazy folk

The logs will come back, slowly.

I sense the chainsaw work was to ensure emerg services access (like a quad) but that was me just trying to figure out a "why?" Glad I got to ride them before they disappeared and I look forward to the new obstacles!

Rode yesterday morning. Roots a bit slick but dirt in great shape. Like everyone else, I am mystified on why the logs were removed, even those that had been there for years, or were off to the side of the trail.

FYI there's some road work going on at Lewis Morris. Not sure when it started or how long it'll be, but I was over there yesterday and had to park in the tiny lot by patriot's path.

Otherwise, conditions were really nice. Took it slow and there's the usual autumn/leaf issues, but it was such a nice day for a ride. :)

Conditions were great today, my wife and I enjoyed it! Thanks for heads up on the closure of the entrance. I wonder if anyone knows how long it will be that way?

On the Morris Parks website they say use the Sugarloaf entrance during construction. I did not try it but I understand it's open. Have to figure out a route that way. Anyone have a GPS point that I can plug in?

On the Morris Parks website they say use the Sugarloaf entrance during construction. I did not try it but I understand it's open. Have to figure out a route that way. Anyone have a GPS point that I can plug in?

take western ave straight from downtown morristown (near the court house)... you'll pass the armory and all that before hitting the LM entrance...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...4ef9276fe5ac63!8m2!3d40.7813216!4d-74.5348786

ETA: @Norm that entrance isn't listed in the MTBNJ wiki page for Lew Mo... i'm too lazy to add it :)

Last edited:
Awesome. Now that I see it on the map I think I'm going to try to get there by getting off 287 at Harter Rd. It may help me avoid the center of Morristown. I come from Clark and take 24 to 287. What do you think?

Awesome. Now that I see it on the map I think I'm going to try to get there by getting off 287 at Harter Rd. It may help me avoid the center of Morristown. I come from Clark and take 24 to 287. What do you think?
Yeah, taking Harter rd is good if you want to avoid Motown traffic. Even better is to go to Chimney Rock, better trails and you don't have to deal with 24-287 :)

I park at speedwell lake and take patriots path in, it's flat for 10 min but a good warm up. Could be less driving and more riding. If I had a choice I'd go to CR unless it was very wet.

I come from rt. 24 as well and always go Harter to Bailey Hollow Rd., just feels faster though it might not be.
It very well may be faster if there is no town traffic, I'll try it out next time I go to LewMo regardless of the other entrance being open or closed.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions