ATV Illegal Use Reporting

Illegal ATV use and Illegal Dumping Telephone numbers:

*** For Northern State Park lands and WMA's call 1-877-WARN-DEP first. This leaves a record of the call. ***

Morris County Parks - Morris County Park Police 973-326-7654

Allamuchy State Parks lands - Mooch, Deer Park, Stephens - 973-398-7010 (Park Office and State Park Police)

Northern Wma's (such as the wma's surrounding Mahlon)
- call Captain Charles Fletcher, Conservation Officer, Bureau of Law Enforcement, D.E.P. Northern Region Office 908-735-8240

*** For Northern State Park lands and WMA's call 1-877-WARN-DEP first. This leaves a record of the call. ***

It is a 24 hr hotline for the D.E.P. and State Park. This number is also posted on signs surrounding Allamuchy S.P. lands.

In an instance such as Allamuchy I will call both the park office, the DEP and the town police in the vicinity.

Town police #'s
Byram Township Police - (973) 347-4008 (Main Number)
Mount Olive Twp. Police - Phone: (973) 691-0850

Please post up other town police #'s that border riding areas.

The important thing is to work up tactics to find out where atv's enter and exit the parks and to use the numbers.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I believe the Morris County Park Police number is 973-326-7654

that's the number i have in my phone for them. in mahlon, mcpc is very proactive about keeping atv's out, and will generally resond quickly if you call and report them.

as far as i know, people are allowed to operate 4-wheelers on wma trails as long as it's for hunting purposes, which could include scouting out of season. i have no problem with them on wma lands because without them, there really wouldn't be any wma trails. personally i enjoy riding atv trails, but i know i'm in the minority.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Illegal ATV use and Illegal Dumping Telephone numbers:

Morris County Parks - Morris County Park Police 973-327-7654

Allamuchy State Parks lands - Mooch, Deer Park, Stephens - 973-398-7010 (Park Office and State Park Police)

Northern Wma's (such as the wma's surrounding Mahlon)
- call Captain Tim Cussen, Conservation Officer, Bureau of Law Enforcement, D.E.P. Northern Region Office 908-735-8240

Also the 24 hr hotline for the D.E.P. is 1-877-927-6337 or 1-877-WARN-DEP. This number is also posted on signs surrounding Allamuchy S.P. lands.

In an instance such as Allamuchy I will call both the park office, the DEP and the town police in the vicinity.

Town police #'s
Byram Township Police - (973) 347-4008 (Main Number)
Mount Olive Twp. Police - Phone: (973) 691-0850

Please post up other town police #'s that border riding areas.

The important thing is to work up tactics to find out where atv's enter and exit the parks and to use the numbers.
Will they come down on the ATVs as hard as they have on those rogue trailbuilders??:hmmm:

as far as i know, people are allowed to operate 4-wheelers on wma trails as long as it's for hunting purposes, which could include scouting out of season. i have no problem with them on wma lands because without them, there really wouldn't be any wma trails. personally i enjoy riding atv trails, but i know i'm in the minority.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wmaregs.htm

The Motor Vehicle passage reads "prohibited unless authorized".

anrothar

entirely thrilled
pretty sure "authorized" means "has a hunting liscence". not sure where i read it, but i do remember reading it back when i went through and listed all the dates for hunting last year.

J

Jeff

good. keep these animals off the trails and in the streets where they belong! if we don't safeguard our forests from these emotionless pillagers, i fear no one will.

NJMX835

That's funny, I always wave to them when I see them, never thought of dropping a dime on them.

I guess I'm just not a snitch...

idbrian

Crotch Rot
If they could ride the same terrain then so be it, but up in Mooch there is double track go around for every downed tree and technical feature. There is no walking tough sections with ATV's, there is simply just gassing it right into the untainted woods.

don

good. keep these animals off the trails and in the streets where they belong! if we don't safeguard our forests from these emotionless pillagers, i fear no one will.

Sounds like something certain hikers would say about mountain bikers.

I agree that use on illegal trails is wrong but how many trails do these guys have available for them to ride? If they are a user group don't they have as much use to the woods as we do? I don't have a quad or moto but wouldn't mind more off road trails for my Rover. And as far as trail work, there was a local Rover group that did some in Ringwood this past April. (I was out of town and couldn't go).

It probably won't matter much once gas starts hiting $6/gal. Those with motors might be using bikes and feet more often.

pretty sure "authorized" means "has a hunting liscence". not sure where i read it, but i do remember reading it back when i went through and listed all the dates for hunting last year.

Sean is right there is an exception. I called the D.E.P. today and the only authorization given by the DEP is one for hunters with a disability. This usually will include a shoot from vehicle exception as well.

NJMX835

I should add that I don't like quads blowing up singletrack either, but I don't really ever see quad tracks on singletrack, which is usually too narrow, rooty & rocky to be enjoyable on a quad.

The only time I've ever seen quads is on fire roads & doubletracks and the guys almost without fail always give me a wave & a smile which is more than I can say for alot of mountain bike riders who alot of times act too cool for school (probably my lack of matching kit :D)

I see moto tracks on singletrack quite a bit in some areas, but they tend to make some nice berms & are also the only thing keeping some trails up in my area from being overgrown so I really don't mind them.

Say what you wish, but I can't get my hackles up about someone having fun in the woods.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I should add that I don't like quads blowing up singletrack either, but I don't really ever see quad tracks on singletrack, which is usually too narrow, rooty & rocky to be enjoyable on a quad.

The only time I've ever seen quads is on fire roads & doubletracks and the guys almost without fail always give me a wave & a smile which is more than I can say for alot of mountain bike riders who alot of times act too cool for school (probably my lack of matching kit :D)

I see moto tracks on singletrack quite a bit in some areas, but they tend to make some nice berms & are also the only thing keeping some trails up in my area from being overgrown so I really don't mind them.

Say what you wish, but I can't get my hackles up about someone having fun in the woods.

i conquer. errr... concur...

ryderX

If they could ride the same terrain then so be it, but up in Mooch there is double track go around for every downed tree and technical feature. There is no walking tough sections with ATV's, there is simply just gassing it right into the untainted woods.
I did nearly 25 miles yesterday in Allamuchy yesterday and saw exactly 1 mountian biker, and a 8 atv's/mototrcycles. I actually took a picture with my cell phone of the group of 4 coming in from Cranberry Ledge. (yellow gate). I also ran into a quad going up the new ditch bypass. The group of 3 near the limbo trail didn't seem to have a care in the world in regards to being in a S.P. illegally.

ryderX

Sounds like something certain hikers would say about mountain bikers.

I agree that use on illegal trails is wrong but how many trails do these guys have available for them to ride? If they are a user group don't they have as much use to the woods as we do? I don't have a quad or moto but wouldn't mind more off road trails for my Rover. And as far as trail work, there was a local Rover group that did some in Ringwood this past April. (I was out of town and couldn't go).

It probably won't matter much once gas starts hiting $6/gal. Those with motors might be using bikes and feet more often.
Interesting point, though nobody forced them to buy quads, atv's or motocycles designed for off road use, with the full knowledge of having no legal access to use them.

J

Jeff

If it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic with my previous post.

My dirtbike comes before my bicycle in my scheme of importance. I find it funny that, though MTBers are fighting for many of the same rights/access as dirtbike riders, they turn around and give the same condescending attitude to dirtbikers that commoners give to MTBers . Regardless of which faction I see doing what, I have never even fathomed the idea of trying to fuck somebody over by calling the cops or whatever other means of trying to get them in trouble. It's got to make you feel like a bitter prick, no? I've also found that the dirtbike riding demographic tends to be a lot less smug/arrogant than the MTBers. I always wave and get waves back and am offered help from motor-folk. Absolutely can not say the same for pedalers.

Top Bottom