29er Wheels

P

pdm362

Hello,
I've been having some problems with my 29er wheels. I bought them used and the wheels were glued on because the wheels were converted to tubeless. I am sort of looking to upgrade my wheels but I am not sure how to go about it. I have a Orbea Lanza 29er so it has vertical drop outs. A white bros eccentric hub was used in the rear wheel to get the correct chain tension (wheels custom built). Could I buy a tubeless tire rim and use the same spokes and hub? What are some good SS 29er rims? Does anyone know any good wheel builder in NJ? Thanks

Paul

walter

Fourth Party
I have not had a custom wheelset built, but I know several of the regular shop guys here are very reputable builders. My vote would go to Jdog from Halters.

If you want to go tubeless and if they can be found, Mavic Crossmax 29er is a good place to start. There are other options available which Im sure people will chime in with.

Whats the budget?

P

pdm362

I am not sure about the budget yet. I am thinking $600 for Rims and spokes.

Paul

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$600 puts you in the ball game for sure. you should be able to pretty much do what you want. the vast majority of the cost for hand built wheels (outside of the labor) is in the hubs and it sounds like you're set in that department. unless you're building your own wheels, i would absolutely use new spokes. i don't think you'll find a builder comfortable with using old spokes. that's just the impression i get. it's their name and craftsmanship on the line so they want it right.

there are some really good, stiff and light rim choices availble now depending on how much you weigh and your riding style. do a little research but mavic makes a good hoop (in around 550 grams per) as does stans, syncros and salsa.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just as no self-respecting southerner uses instant grits, no self-respecting wheel builder will use old spokes.

I've done it before but it's for lacing up a wheel to be used on a town cruiser or POS junk bike.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Does anyone know any good wheel builder in NJ?

I suggest me, I am the best wheelbuilder in NJ, possibly in the world...I have 1,000's of wheelbuilds to my credit and build at least 1 wheel every day, I'm so good, I amaze even myself:D

-Jim.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I suggest me, I am the best wheelbuilder in NJ, possibly in the world...I have 1,000's of wheelbuilds to my credit and build at least 1 wheel every day, I'm so good, I amaze even myself:D

-Jim.

someone please make this their sig. :D

J

JDG1317

Just as no self-respecting southerner uses instant grits, no self-respecting wheel builder will use old spokes.

I've done it before but it's for lacing up a wheel to be used on a town cruiser or POS junk bike.

So you watched My Cousin Vinnie last night?

Top Bottom