thinking about moving up north...

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
well my girlfriend and i were talking yesterday about possibly moving out of the area. we both live in monmouth county. granted ive only lived here for about 7 months(im born and raised in staten island), but i alreadfy feel like i know TOO many people in the area. granted you may thing "whats wrong with knowing a lot of people?", but its not like that. its the fact that i do not lke people up in my business or knowing whats going on with my life. and i think the two of us are kind of in agreeance on this one too. when i lived down in virginia it was nice to walk around someplace and not know a single face. i kind of want that again. so yesterday we decided that we may possibly move up to northwest nj somewhere. its a whole different world up there. and the good thing is i can go to sleep to sound of crickets and NOT screaming little punk MFers in the street at 1am, and if i want to i can still drive 45 minutes to an hour and have my feet in the sand. not to mention what id pay for a 1 bedroom apartment down here i can rent a 2 bedroom house up there. as far as work goes, she works for an old folks home in ocean grove but can transfer to any of the other ones they have that are in pretty much any part of nj. as for myself, im going to be in the market for a new job VERY soon anyhow... so im going to be looking more up north.

any input on areas in like NW jersey would be awesome.

Shaggz

A strong 7
NW Jersey is closed, sorry :p. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I live in Sparta, which is in Sussex County. It is a wonderful place to raise a family, and has excellent access to awesome great trails.

Luckily, my office is in Wayne, and I usually hit the wane of the AM/PM commute traffic. I used to work in the NYC, and would rather put out my eyes with a rusty butter knife, than do that again. Car, bus, train, hovercraft - just plain awful. I don't care what anyone says about being able to read, sleep, whatever, the time spent commuting is an example human adaptation at it's worst.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I just moved further north last Friday from Clifton to Waldwick...my commute by car is 3 mins :cool: and I am closer to Ringwood & Blue:getsome::getsome::getsome::getsome:
and I will tell you about my bike commute tomorrow.

also, I heard it has a pretty good school system too, but that is the 2nd most important feature, 1st is proximity to rocky trails ;)

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
NW Jersey is closed, sorry :p. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I live in Sparta, which is in Sussex County. It is a wonderful place to raise a family, and has excellent access to awesome great trails.

Luckily, my office is in Wayne, and I usually hit the wane of the AM/PM commute traffic. I used to work in the NYC, and would rather put out my eyes with a rusty butter knife, than do that again. Car, bus, train, hovercraft - just plain awful. I don't care what anyone says about being able to read, sleep, whatever, the time spent commuting is an example human adaptation at it's worst.

yeah thats the area im really looking at. up around sparta, or anywhere up that way off 80. i used to do a lot of work in sparta. you think theres a lot of rocks there? trying DRILLING through it 60 feet down, hahaha.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Tight business right now. Who did you work for? There is a firm right across from Cycle Works on 206 in Byram, but I don't know their story.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i worked for Hamer Drilling out of belford NJ. worked for my ex's father. could have kept it after we broke up but it was just kinda awkward so i decided to leave. it sucks casue it was a great job, but what can ya do.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I just moved further north last Friday from Clifton to Waldwick

did you buy my parent's house? On Dow. Been for sale a month now and even though it's going for a hundred grand less than it's worth they cant sell it. f-in market. what street are you on?

J

Jeff

I live in Stanhope ("little sparta"- I don't know who coined this term, or why). Quiet, fairly safe, access to all sorts of naturey-type areas. Couldn't say a bad thing about it. Ledgewood is a 6 minute drive, ITC is a 2 minute drive- between the two of them they have more stores and eateries than you could ask for, as well as a movie theater, billiards, etc. Also, if you're into road riding at all, there are some GREAT routes around here.

J

Jeff

And if you enjoy jazz/blues (and overpriced drinks), we've got the stanhope house here- nice place to go and relax and enjoy some good mellow tunes.

Glancing Aft

The lease ends on the house I'm renting at the end of June, and my roommate and I are moving out. It's a nice little two bedroom bungalow that was converted from a summer home many years ago. It's right on the border of Denville and Boonton. So not as far out there as you're looking but it's in a sleepy little lake community. For Mtn Biking you have the Tourne and Wildcat a few min away and many of the North Jersey "destination" biking places within a short drive. 7 min from Rt 80, the train station, and stores. There's also an old person home like 3 min away.
Anyways my landlord has had the place listed for close to a month now and has yet to have anybody look at it. It seems like a really good market to be a renter right now (and not a landlord) so you should be able to talk people down in price.
Hey, and if what I described sounds at all interesting let me know. My landlord is a good guy and I'd love to help him out.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
did you buy my parent's house? On Dow. Been for sale a month now and even though it's going for a hundred grand less than it's worth they cant sell it. f-in market. what street are you on?

haha, our Realtor didn't show us your parents' home.
I am on Manhattan Av. almost on the corner with Nordham.

You got any good ROAD loops?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm in succasunna (in roxbury twp) and there is a lot of stuff real close to this area. jeff mentioned ledgewood which is about two minutes from where i sit (ITC is about five) and there are PLENTY of mc-eateries, sit down mc-eateries and everything else, all within five - 10 mintues. access to rtes 10, 46, 80 and 206 are literally five minutes...but you'd never know it. i sit about two miles from the chester border and i hear lots of crickets. i'm also 20 minutes (tops...and on the el zoller scale, this is the important metric :D) from mahlon, lewis morris, alamuchy (as well as deer park and stephens) and KVSP. it's a really great location. the likelyhood of you walking into someone you know is pretty slim.

if you do make it to the boonton area, though, lemme know. my wife's mom works at an assisted living place and may be able to help out in the job arena.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I grew up in Monmouth County, it's not that great there, we moved just slightly north into Piscataway...That's pretty much as far as we could go and still afford anything...

-Jim.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
jeff speaketh the truth. stanhope is a fantastic little town to live in. 12 miles from mahlon, 3 from allamuchy/stevens, 6 from deer park, probably the same from kittatiny. loads of convenience. lake hopatcong state park is really close by, lake musconetcong is in stanhope/netcong. shakey jakes is in stanhope, which is reason enough to come here. cycle works is really close, as is marty's and rt 15 bicycles.

The Kalmyk

jeff speaketh the truth. stanhope is a fantastic little town to live in. 12 miles from mahlon, 3 from allamuchy/stevens, 6 from deer park, probably the same from kittatiny. loads of convenience. lake hopatcong state park is really close by, lake musconetcong is in stanhope/netcong. shakey jakes is in stanhope, which is reason enough to come here. cycle works is really close, as is marty's and rt 15 bicycles.

Nicer than Alaska:hmmm:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
hey guys, thank you all so much for all the info on all the areas up there. im prolly not going to be moving up there till at least the beginning of next year. i wanna take my time and not rush into it. its a big jump for my girlfriend and myself to somewhere like that. all we know is crowded suburb living and cityish living(lived near DC for a while). so the change is going to be rather
culture shocking im sure. especially if i go into a small ass town and i look like a criminal being covered in tattoos from head to toe, hahaha.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
some really good ones

haha, our Realtor didn't show us your parents' home.
I am on Manhattan Av. almost on the corner with Nordham.

You got any good ROAD loops?

If you take sheridan or allendale ave over to east or west saddle river roads there are tons of options. you ca also take franklin tpk up to mahwah or crescent ave/rd up to ramsey and up to darlington and campgaw road.

Joeskin

hey guys, thank you all so much for all the info on all the areas up there. im prolly not going to be moving up there till at least the beginning of next year. i wanna take my time and not rush into it. its a big jump for my girlfriend and myself to somewhere like that. all we know is crowded suburb living and cityish living(lived near DC for a while). so the change is going to be rather
culture shocking im sure. especially if i go into a small ass town and i look like a criminal being covered in tattoos from head to toe, hahaha.

Change and shock...Yes. Wife lived in Pittsburgh and I lived in Newark for years before coming back to Sussex County (Hamburg). Wouldn't change it. As far as the tattoos...You haven't been up here lately. I find more of my kind up here than I did hanging in the city. Actually they're some of the same people. Plus the riding is awesome.

Plus the remaining members of the Misfits are up here too.

Top Bottom