The 2016 garden thread

rlb

Still need to get my deer fence up, I'm on borrowed time at this point

Tomatoes and peppers taking off

IMG_20160617_063726441.jpg

Getting one of these every other day, seems like we planed a good number of greens.

IMG_20160619_191001174.jpg

Zaskar

Nice beans! Bush or pole? My pole beans are still vines with a few leaves...

That's a good question that I don't have an answer for... They look like little bushes so, bush? I also just read that these only produce all at once? Is that correct?

rlb

Yup sounds right. Pole beans throw out a vine and want to keep going up, they produce continually. Bush are compact and all at once. Looks like a nice yield!

qclabrat

haven't been home in two weeks, how are the Matos and peps coming along? When I left the Matos were really doing well whereas the peppers were stunted

rlb

haven't been home in two weeks, how are the Matos and peps coming along? When I left the Matos were really doing well whereas the peppers were stunted

Both of mine are doing well. Have some peppers a little close to tomatoes so they're struggling, but the others are doing great

ekuhn

I've never had a deer issue in my back yard, flowers, plants, etc. didnt matter. Now all of a sudden I come back from Vegas and my peppers and tomatoes got scalped. Mofo's. Now I have to fence off my little boxes some how. Hopefully the plants will come back. Those marigolds didn't help.

image.jpeg

qclabrat

I've never had a deer issue in my back yard, flowers, plants, etc. didnt matter. Now all of a sudden I come back from Vegas and my peppers and tomatoes got scalped. Mofo's. Now I have to fence off my little boxes some how. Hopefully the plants will come back. Those marigolds didn't help.

View attachment 37087
sure it was deer? possibly ground hogs
look around for poop, deer are the worse, they eat your plants and take a crap near by, no respect

ekuhn

sure it was deer? possibly ground hogs
look around for poop, deer are the worse, they eat your plants and take a crap near by, no respect

No respect!

giphy.gif

My thoughts that it was deer was because it was chomped from the top down. The tomatoes got chomped above the top of the cage. Regardless I picked up some netting to hopefully keep them bastards away.

Reactions: rlb

qclabrat

No respect!

My thoughts that it was deer was because it was chomped from the top down. The tomatoes got chomped above the top of the cage. Regardless I picked up some netting to hopefully keep them bastards away.

first hand knowledge, ground hogs climb and do eat off the tops (not my pic)
i had one eating my flowers, but the fukr can't can't inside for now (double perimeter fence), trap has been set, but haven't seen the pair, perhaps just passing by
DSC02839-1.JPG

I Ride Bikes

So my tomatos look good so far and my strawberries were off to a good start aside from a few that never took. The last week or so I've noticed some of them kinda wilting and not looking good. I took a closer look today and noticed a bunch of white bugs that I think are spider mites. I've done a little research and it looks like I should spray them with a mixture of dish soap and water. Anyone have any experience with these things? First it was birds, then squirrels and now these bugs.

Top Bottom