29er wheel question

ADZ

So I have a 29er with Bontrager rhythm comp rims and I am going to be doing a 200 mile charity road ride next month. I would like to put some urban tires on the bike for this ride, I have been looking at a set that are 700c X 34, also 700c X 36.

So here are my questions.
1. Can I put 700c tires on a 29er rim?
2. will 700c tires that need tubes fit on a tubeless rim?
3. whats the thinnest road tire anybody would recommend on a mountain rim?

Hope someone can answer this for me.

cheers
A

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since i only know the answer to #1, and that's "yes", i'm going to punch out and let someone who is actually edjumacated about bikes answer this.

P

pdm362

I am not sure about the other two questions but I am not sure about doing 200 miles on a mountain bike. you have the right idea about putting skinny tires but it will definitely be quite a punishing ride. See if you can get a cheap rigid fork in ebay or craigslist. If you are riding a FS it would be a little tougher.

If you can't get a road bike try to demo one from competitivecyclist.com and do your chairty ride on an awesome full carbon sucker. This way you save some money and enjoy 200 miles on a 14 lb bike. Just my 2 cents.

Paul

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

-Yes, albeit a hybrid tire, on a Rhythm rim you most likely won't get anything narrower than a 38c.

-You're wheels are not tubeless, they are "tubeless ready", that means it needs a different rim strip, tire, and tire sealant too make it tubeless. If you have all that stuff, just remove the valve core and insert a normal tube, it will work fine.

-See answer #1...

-Jim.

ADZ

-Yes, albeit a hybrid tire, on a Rhythm rim you most likely won't get anything narrower than a 38c.

-You're wheels are not tubeless, they are "tubeless ready", that means it needs a different rim strip, tire, and tire sealant too make it tubeless. If you have all that stuff, just remove the valve core and insert a normal tube, it will work fine.

-See answer #1...

-Jim.

Thanks for the info, that's the answer i was looking for. I have been putting slicks with tubes on my 26er mountain bike tubeless rims for the past three years, can't justify buying a road bike for one 200 mile ride. I can't find a slick 29er tire, so i am going to chuck on a hybrid.

I have the paragon 08 29er, it has the tubeless ready rims and tires. I think i understand now. just because it has tubeless rims and tires, you need the sealant and rim strip to make it tubeless? So if it has a tube in the tires now, can't i just put on a regular tire?

cheers
A

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ah, you will need a narrower tube for a tire that much narrower. you could squeeze your 29er tube into a 38mm tire, but it'll be difficult. and you can run a much narrower tire than 38mm. i've been running 32mm tires on 28mm wtb dual duty freeride rims for over a year with no problems.

Top Bottom