subscribe function

NJ Jess

Do we have an ability to get "update" emails at own private emails when someone has posted on a "subscribe thread?" This is the third time I've heard the "yahoo group" thing. The reason I believe is that women with family, work, schedules,..etc, just don't check the forum everyday. If they get an email update at their private email, they can quickly pop in. Sorry guys, but some of our older women simply can not ride with guys. Their are that slow and walk the bikes up the hills.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, you can subscribe to a thread. But I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, since you would not have gotten a new email notification.

What you probably want is a women's email notification of MTBNJ posts. It would need to be somewhat manual (woman-ual?) though. Suppose we setup an email group and every few days someone puts together the pertinent threads that someone (one of the women) decides are pertinent. Then that person sends out an email saying that posts A, B, C...etc are female specific and maybe worth looking at.

Does this sound reasonable?

Mare

Hmm...do you really want our opinions? I tend to be harsh and blunt, so forgive me here and from this point forward with my bluntness. I think if woman (or anyone) subscribe to get things sent to their email accounts, they eventually stop reading that too because they are used to it. I think that we don't need any specific notifications or anything other than what we already have. I think if women want to be in the loop, they will make time to check stuff and be in the loop.

NJ Jess

good idea

Norm, I like your idea. I think that is how I've got home emails from Mtbnj.

I truely believe this will get more women to "check back" with the site. I've been doing clinics, festivals, rides, etc for 4 years now. I have over 200 womens email addresses from promoting womens biking, mtbnj.com, Campmor, JORBA. etc Where are they? Do we see 200 women in the forum? I'd like to try this email update thing and try to get more women out on the trails.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Well, you can subscribe to a thread. But I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, since you would not have gotten a new email notification.

You can also subscribe to an entire forum as well.

For instance, if you wanted to subscribe to the entire woman's forum, go there (http://mtbnj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63), click on the little down arrow next to "Forum Tools", then select "Subscribe to This Forum".

You can then select whether to get no email notification, daily email notification, or weekly email notification.

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks, tim. you beat me to the punch. would you copy this into the thread in the girls forum, as well?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Subscribing to a forum is a good idea.

The daily view only works for those of us who read daily. A lot of people don't.

Jess - we can discuss further if you like.

Mare - absolutely! All opinions wanted!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Subscribing to a forum is a good idea.

The daily view only works for those of us who read daily. A lot of people don't.

Jess - we can discuss further if you like.

Mare - absolutely! All opinions wanted!

What? Not everybody reads daily? Or even hourly?

Man, I got to get a life...:(

Mare

Sometimes I think inside the box, but thinking outside, I guess there is room for changes because I can see how you want to attract more women to here and the trails. And one way is to make it easy for them to get info, etc. I still think they should just click on the forum and read, but until that happens, I think women subscribing to forums of choice is a good idea. It seems above and beyond though if you had to do anything manually or "special" for them.

Top Bottom