I want to race - but have questions

briser

Hi All -

I want to try racing a couple or few times this year but have some questions I'm hoping you can help with.

How long are most of the races? (distance/time)
Is there a directory of races coming up?
Is there a place I can see race results? I'd like to time myself, and make sure I should show up (or just train more).

I found the 24 Hours of Allamuchy - but that might be a bit much for my first race out.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Glancing Aft

My first race was 24 Hours of Allamuchy, so I say go for it! or maybe not. The H2H beginner races would be a great place to start out. Depending on the race you're looking at between a 6 mile and a 9 mile course. http://www.usacycling.org/ has results from previous years up if you want to look at times.

clutch

Hi All -

I want to try racing a couple or few times this year but have some questions I'm hoping you can help with.

How long are most of the races? (distance/time)
Is there a directory of races coming up?
Is there a place I can see race results? I'd like to time myself, and make sure I should show up (or just train more).

I found the 24 Hours of Allamuchy - but that might be a bit much for my first race out.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

The results for the 06 and 07 Lewis Morris Races are here:

http://www.compuscore.com/cs2007/july/

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Nimrod

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

and if you go off course.... its not a big deal... heck do it twice:D

Crap... at Wayway I just might go for a new record = going off course 3 times

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
...sorry your mom blew up...

i've done a couple races here and there, go for any of 'em. its usually a good time. don't be afraid to sign up for a big one like a 12 hour or 24 hour, just make sure you know what you are getting into and pick the brains of some veterans of similar races. my favorite part of racing is the atmosphere, tons of bike freaks all in one spot. its like woodstock for helmeted dorks.

another spot to look for races on is active.com.

this is pure snow! do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is???

dualfisted

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah and to keep the thread alive, if you wanna race, just go race. Even if you get smoked, you'll learn a lot just by grabbing someones back wheel who's faster for a couple to see how they ride and why they're so fast. There's always going to be someone better than you, unless you're like some bike honch guru dude.

mwlikesbikes

Two Dollars!

Love that movie along with Savage Steve Holland's followup One Crazy Summer. Damn those cute fuzzy bunnies!

BTW briser, Waywayanda race is in 2 weeks. Hit up beginner class, pedal your ass off for an hour and pass out. It's a blast! JOIN US!!!

briser

Thanks for the tips - one more question....

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I will sign up for the beginner race at Wawayanda (and probably pass out!).
Can you shed a little light on gear requirements? I'd hate to show up only to be turned away for not having something.
Do I need full face? No reflectors? Certain pads? Fancy Number Plate?

Thanks!

PS - I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a shame people be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that.

BTW briser, Waywayanda race is in 2 weeks. Hit up beginner class, pedal your ass off for an hour and pass out. It's a blast! JOIN US!!!

Dude, I didn't know you raced.

Briser - A helmet is about all that's required. And a bike. And money. They'll give you a number plate. Bring your game face. Or not. Don't bring guns. :getsome:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
tell me again norm, what does a phrenologist feel and interpret? something about the fourth party's what? :D

the only other thing you really need to remember to bring is the fun. in the few races that i've done it seems that people forget that this is about fun. sure, you want to win or at least do well, better than last time, etc. if you didn't why would you race?

it seems many, many people forget that. at the LMC last year, in the sport class mind you (oldish guy division), i remember hearing a guy yelling at people "jeezus f'ing christ, get the fcuk outta my way!! slow motherfcukers". i was shocked. did this dude think his performance in the sport class was going to get him noticed by some national sponsor? i mean, unless you're getting paid for something there's just no need to be like that (and even then, not excuse).

i want to be competitive at this (i think winning is likely not an option for me but that's ok) more than probably any of you know. but i also know that i'm a dad, a husband and this is a hobby.

so, all that said, BRING THE FUN!

walter

Fourth Party
tell me again norm, what does a phrenologist feel and interpret? something about the fourth party's what? :D

OK, thats the second inuendo between the two of you about my brain capacity, whats the deal?

Briser, like everyone else says, just show up, try it out and have fun.

J-Dro

the only other thing you really need to remember to bring is the fun. in the few races that i've done it seems that people forget that this is about fun. sure, you want to win or at least do well, better than last time, etc. if you didn't why would you race?

it seems many, many people forget that. at the LMC last year, in the sport class mind you (oldish guy division), i remember hearing a guy yelling at people "jeezus f'ing christ, get the fcuk outta my way!! slow motherfcukers". i was shocked. did this dude think his performance in the sport class was going to get him noticed by some national sponsor? i mean, unless you're getting paid for something there's just no need to be like that (and even then, not excuse).

i want to be competitive at this (i think winning is likely not an option for me but that's ok) more than probably any of you know. but i also know that i'm a dad, a husband and this is a hobby.

so, all that said, BRING THE FUN!

This should be nominated for POTM (post of the month).

I hear that mtbNJ awards fabulous prizes for the winner.:D

C.Puncher

Dive in, taste it, feel it, smell it................you'll never get enough..........get some buds to race with, race Allamuchy on a team........H2H beginner, check out the Mass super series too.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
yeah, just come out and race. There is a lot to learn, so don't expect too much the first time. It is just an experience, and if you are like most of us, you will love it and get hooked and want more. :getsome::):D:drooling::confused::rofl::getsome:

Top Bottom