June 14th - Long Island Ultimate Ride

B

Butter Packet

Hey all.

I am a member of CLIMB and planning an inaugural Ultimate Ride on 5 LI Trails.

The information:
Ride Begins @ 8 AM at Stillwell
Cost: a lot of calories
Date: June 14th

Trails:
Stillwell
Edgewood
Glacier Ridge
Cathedral Pines
Rocky Point

There will be (at least) 3 different grade levels; Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner.

Advanced are without a ride leader. They head out and do the all/most of trail (some minor cuts will be made IF needed for time constraints).

Intermediates will do many diamonds routes but not all. The ride will be lead by a leader (and possibly a sweeper).

Beginners will ride mostly the main loops and POSSIBLY some easy diamond routes.

The way it works:
Everybody will meet at Stillwell before the 8:00 first ride. Check in and the first group will head out. When the final group is in, the group would load up and head off to trail 2. The same format, sign in, ride, load up and go...

Afterwards:
There is a little watering hole that sells a good burger and cold brews (soda) for a little survivors party. This is 100% optional and is not an actual part of the event; it is just a place to tell war stories. It is on the way back towards the LIE (about 6 miles off the last trail).

All are invited!

If anybody has any questions, I am usually on the climb forums. www.climbonline.org (handle = buttah).

Spartacus

Welcome aboard brotha buttah !

You know me.............I am in !

Calling Ken S !!!!

Ken get ahold of CC...........this would be killer

SEV where are you ?

Speculation is about 60 miles of hardcore..............Boooh yaaaah !

Eastie VS Westies VS JORBA?

Big ring a ling aling

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
This looks like an awesome event, like the triple crown only 2 more trails and some driving in between. That is about a month after Marisa is due, and a week after a big change of command at my unit, but I will put it on the calendar.

Speaking of LI....what centuries are coming up out on the island this summer? A friend of mine mentioned trying to hit one up out there mid/late summer. Isnt there a north shore century late June or so?

I'll mention this one to CC, we will have to peel him off hi road bike though. He just moved up to cat4 and is seriously kicking arse.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Oh yeah, guess I will have to throw my big ring back on when I go to the island, or bring the SS and gear it up to vroom vroom gearing :D

B

Butter Packet

What is mileage for the beginners?

The mileage is probably about 30 miles for beginners. The terrain is Long Island everything.

DO NOT BE NERVOUS IF YOUR NEW TO RIDING OR NOT A HAMMER HEAD! I think my wheels are going to fall off if my bike hit double digits :D

Back to serious world, the trails are mostly all set up to skip the harder sections. Time is of the essence and ride leaders will know when it is time to haul rear and get back to base. Over the next 2 months, I will get realistic time frames for each trails. My goal is to stay within those time frames (not much more). This will allow the advanced riders to do more miles.

Also, do not look at the mileage as a number. Being that there will be breaks in between rides, there will be time to recoup some energy. Trail number 2 is mostly-very flat (logistics says ride it). I did it tonight in 31 minutes. Some trails will be more difficult then others of course.

My vision is to allow EVERY rider to have his or her OWN Ultimate Ride. The guy who can pound the peddle to the tourists in the woods. Everybody will test themselves without having to kill themselves.

Spartacus

This looks like an awesome event, like the triple crown only 2 more trails and some driving in between. That is about a month after Marisa is due, and a week after a big change of command at my unit, but I will put it on the calendar.

Speaking of LI....what centuries are coming up out on the island this summer? A friend of mine mentioned trying to hit one up out there mid/late summer. Isnt there a north shore century late June or so?

I'll mention this one to CC, we will have to peel him off hi road bike though. He just moved up to cat4 and is seriously kicking arse.

Ah yes.

Yeah I did the first triple crown. That was great. Now we have buttah...........a complete newbie to bikin takin on this task of formin this epic ride.

Big ring it for sure.

centuries I will be doing as of now.

Montauk BBC
Montauk we hope
and possibly the northshore.
If there is another on your gunna do out this way hit me up.

Last year at the montauk we hope I was with the lead group. for the first 40 miles we avg about 27MPH. I think my top speed was close to or around 50mphs.........It was sick !
I got dropped at 40 because I started with a 16 oz bottle of water with no stops at the support stops. Not a good idea.

I like rding with you and CC............good times............good times

and ummmm when she finally delivers..............kiss riding good bye :D

its a new life

Spartacus

The mileage is probably about 30 miles for beginners. The terrain is Long Island everything.

DO NOT BE NERVOUS IF YOUR NEW TO RIDING OR NOT A HAMMER HEAD! I think my wheels are going to fall off if my bike hit double digits :D

Back to serious world, the trails are mostly all set up to skip the harder sections. Time is of the essence and ride leaders will know when it is time to haul rear and get back to base. Over the next 2 months, I will get realistic time frames for each trails. My goal is to stay within those time frames (not much more). This will allow the advanced riders to do more miles.

Also, do not look at the mileage as a number. Being that there will be breaks in between rides, there will be time to recoup some energy. Trail number 2 is mostly-very flat (logistics says ride it). I did it tonight in 31 minutes. Some trails will be more difficult then others of course.

My vision is to allow EVERY rider to have his or her OWN Ultimate Ride. The guy who can pound the peddle to the tourists in the woods. Everybody will test themselves without having to kill themselves.

exactly.................its all about the epic ride and challenge ones ability at there ability.................more good times

Spartacus

negative ghost rider. :D

"God I hate that guy"

Now........you are what I like to refer to as hard core

and I spoke to Lo today explaining the ride.

She thought of it as "its about the miles"

No

This is about experiancing the ultimate ride. 5 trails in one day. at what ever speed you can handle. Some will just want to have a social pace, some a relaxed pace, some I did it pace and the rest..............Hammer pace.

also in the works for this year is a campout at CP with a climb picnic.............ala Fat tire fest............demos , clinics, rides (all local trails), beer from local brewery, support from local shops.............did I mention beer !!!

Last edited:
B

Butter Packet

"God I hate that guy"

Now........you are what I like to refer to as hard core

and I spoke to Lo today explaining the ride.

She thought of it as "its about the miles"

No

This is about experiancing the ultimate ride. 5 trails in one day. at what ever speed you can handle. Some will just want to have a social pace, some a relaxed pace, some I did it pace and the rest..............Hammer pace.

also in the works for this year is a campout at CP with a climb picnic.............ala Fat tire fest............demos , clinics, rides (all local trails), beer from local brewery, support from local shops.............did I mention beer !!!

Right on about the description of the UR. It is about DOING IT. Testing yourself. Setting out to accomplish more then you are willing to do on most days - any other day. A true test of nerve endings for ALL mountain bikers

About the camp out...

is there going to be beer?

sevendust717

jerseyjoe told me that there was a thread up here about this ride so i decided to check it out - if I am off that day I will definitely make it ( i wont know until june starts)

Hows everything going on the island? I havent really been back there since monkeyboy's going away party

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Tsvi! Hows it going?! Good to see you on mtbnj. We need to do a jersey ride together this summer! Kind of funny that we live in the same state now but are farther away :D

Spartacus

jerseyjoe told me that there was a thread up here about this ride so i decided to check it out - if I am off that day I will definitely make it ( i wont know until june starts)

Hows everything going on the island? I havent really been back there since monkeyboy's going away party

Well it was good to see you.

Come join us for this ride.........MILL HOUSE !!!!

Top Bottom