x-post: drop off practice/ trail ride Saturday

anrothar

entirely thrilled
this saturday, i need to practice my dropoffs for the upcoming hustle & flow race. i have the location. we will meet at taylor rd and berkshire valley rd in the big dirt lot. we will ride about 5 miles of easy, fast and fun quad trails to get to the spot, where we will commence with the radness and breaking of bones and skinning of knees. no pressure fun ride, on the way there and while there. drops are off rock ledges with long, downhill runouts. plenty of space, but there are trees here and there. drops are of all sizes from inches to 15'(to touchdown). spot is near civilization, so if you crash and die, we'll drag you to somewhere nearby, run away and call an ambulance to come find you.

10am = tires rolling. meet here: link

Last edited:

BiknBen

I guess I need to get used to this DH forum thingy. I thought you were talking about some type of feed exchange or bag drop. Not exactly what you meant by "drop-off". Don't worry, I figured it out.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Huck it, bro. ;)

I'd come out to join you, but I'll be working on the trails for the race all day Saturday.

J

Jeff

You're in stanhope? I'm suprised I haven't seen you pedaling around town (all square mile of it). I'm supposed to have my bike back on Friday, though I have a broken hand at the moment. I'll take it for a spin friday night and if the hand feels good riding in this sports cast thingamajig, I'm DEFINITELY up for this ride as my maiden voyage for the year.

Shaggz

A strong 7
sean. how difficult is it to find this spot, should i not be able to make the "meet" time? is this a pads-recommended/beginners-welcome ride? if so, trance or mary?

cheney

I would love to meet up with a bunch of knuckle heads bowling down the mountain, but Saturday is already action packed. One of these days, this newbie will make it out. is there any opposition to construction of drops in some of the parks in the area? I can probably get cedars from a job sight we could use for bridges, drops, etc...

keep me posted

J-Dro

I would love to meet up with a bunch of knuckle heads bowling down the mountain, but Saturday is already action packed. One of these days, this newbie will make it out. is there any opposition to construction of drops in some of the parks in the area? I can probably get cedars from a job sight we could use for bridges, drops, etc...

keep me posted

Always check with the JORBA local chapter lead (if there is one) before constructing any stunts or drops. Most parks will tear any construction down unless they grant permission first. That would just leave the MTB community with a black eye that we don't need. The JORBA reps can act as a liason to the park establishment and can lend some credibility to your proposal.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Always check with the JORBA local chapter lead (if there is one) before constructing any stunts or drops. Most parks will tear any construction down unless they grant permission first. That would just leave the MTB community with a black eye that we don't need. The JORBA reps can act as a liason to the park establishment and can lend some credibility to your proposal.
Good point, Jeff. This information, or something similar should be stickied in this forum. Anyone care to wordsmith an into blurb?

cheney

good to know. Thanks. The last thing i want to do is give the mtbr a bad rap. We seem to already have one.

What parks in the area have the best flow with the most features. I heard that Salsbury, up in Bethlehem, PA is suppose too.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
jeff, c'mon out. if the hand is bothering you, you can take pictures. ;)

steve. i'll be on the rigid ss, but plan on doing drops up to and over five feet. there is plenty of smaller stuff to play around on though. check your pm's.

Last edited:
J

Jeff

jeff, c'mon out. if the hand is bothering you, you can take pictures. ;)

steve. i'll be on the rigid ss, but plan on doing drops up to and over five feet. there is plenty of smaller stuff to play around on though. check your pm's.

That sounds like a good idea as well! I train in roseland from 8-10 saturday mornings, but hopefully i can get over there afterwards and boogie around. we shall see :getsome:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alright ladies, we're on for tomorrow.

bring the following:

-camera if you want
-liquids
-food
-money and id
-bike
-helmet
-your man pants.

the money is in case you run out of liquids or food as we'll be about 1/4 mile from a convenience store, the id is in case you die and we have to leave you on the side of the road.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
here's a photo of a few of the drops.

2425350909_d1770cbf4a_b.jpg

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Sorry to hear no one showed.

Here's a photo of the nice new transition we worked on today for one of the drops on the H&F course... trickier and steeper than it looks!

Image-B7557E900E7911DD.jpg

Plus we knocked out a re-route of a section of trail and added more fun...

Image-B7554C7C0E7911DD.jpg

J

Jeff

well that was a resounding success..... noone showed.

Fahhhhhck, sorry about that :( Turns out I'm not as adept at riding a bike with a broken hand as I thought I might be. Even wrapping and taping it very tight, I couldn't pull up hard enough to even bunny hop.

I thought about coming and just taking pics or walking, but realized that there was no way I could enter those woods and resist jumping off of something. Which I know would mean a total re-breakage and maybe even some new ones!

I did, however, manage to ride it to budd lake on the roads. I dont remember that ride sucking so much... not quite in the cycling shape that I was last year :drooling:

J

Jeff

Sorry to hear no one showed.

Here's a photo of the nice new transition we worked on today for one of the drops on the H&F course... trickier and steeper than it looks!

Image-B7557E900E7911DD.jpg

Plus we knocked out a re-route of a section of trail and added more fun...

Image-B7554C7C0E7911DD.jpg

Beautiful work! Where is that again?

Top Bottom