Cutting the cord (this again!)

rlb

Has anyone ditched their cable recently? Wondering if @jmanic has any updates on his experience. Would be interested to hear any others as well.

I'm paying $150 for FIOS triple play and we just don't watch enough of it to justify the cost. Sling TV covers most of what we regularly watch for $20 a month. I also have Amazon Prime and a Netflix subscription so those don't factor in to the equation. Optimum offers internet for $50 at the same speed I have now, so essentially I can cut the bill in half. I have a fire tv stick and would eventually add a second streamer to cover the other TV in the house. SlingTV has deals on those so it's all looking pretty appealing at the moment.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Interested in this as well....

Especially from those with kids. I know Amazon Prime covers most of my kids shows, for now...

Last edited:

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
have not had cable for 10 years.
Love it!

ride more
take up a hobby
buy dvd's
or watch on the computer

with the money you save, go buy a bike

rlb

The one thing I haven't figure out yet is Mets games. Otherwise I'm pretty much ready to do this

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Many ways to watch live sports for free... Check out kodi with sports devil add in. That plus my sister sharing her dish anywhere login in trade for my hulu... Nothing I can't watch either on my computer or roku.

Reactions: rlb

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What about local networks? Assuming you can't do an HD antenna.

Thats one of my blockers. I get nbc for free, but that's because comcast owns nbc.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, just about 2 years in, and don't miss cable or the bills.

Mohu antenna gets networks in HD, you can plug in your coordinates on their website to see what you can expect to get.

Aside from that, we get internets from Time Warner. So, with the Mohu and roku for Netflix and Amazon video, Plex for local content and shared servers that covers 90% of our viewing.
I cheat the other 10% from a friend's log in, which gets me HBO, Showtime, ESPN and TBS. YEAH, those can be kind of big.

I also have a Chromecast which lets you stream from a Chrome browser, but I use that infrequently.

Interesting, I just got an invite from TWC to beta test streaming channel access packages. So you don't have cable, but can stream live channel content. They offer tiers just like cable packages. Interesting shift to market demands. I'd almost do it for the free roku they offer, but we only have one TV, so don't need it.

So yeah, cutting the cable is jmanic approved.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
we were planning on not getting cable when we moved into our temporary apartment, but it is included in the rent :(

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just curious why can't you do an antenna?

Actually, I looked at the links and didn't realize they made such sweet antennas. I'd have to go for the $150 one, but it looks like its worth trying.

I just need to find someone to climb on my roof and install that shit....I'm sure as he'll not climbing up there....

I think cutting the cord with be a resolution in 2016.

rlb

Many ways to watch live sports for free... Check out kodi with sports devil add in. That plus my sister sharing her dish anywhere login in trade for my hulu... Nothing I can't watch either on my computer or roku.

How is sports devil? PITA or is it pretty straight forward? Only interested in baseball so it'll be a while until I can try it for real.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How is sports devil? PITA or is it pretty straight forward? Only interested in baseball so it'll be a while until I can try it for real.
I have watched games, NFL redzone, sunday ticket and the world series with it. You can always find a working stream...however, it can take you some time....Like I plan on it taking me 5min of searching to get a working stream. depends on the sport you are looking for I guess. The quality also is not HD, its ok at best. I used it for the Eagles/skins game the other night which was NFLN only broadcast and I could only find one stream and the quality was just ok.

But this is just live sports...Any other TV program I have ever wanted to watch is on my Roku/computer somewhere

Top Bottom