Jiu Jitsu/MMA?

J

Jeff

Hello folks! I haven't posted in a while, as I have somewhat fallen out of the MTB scene over the last 6 months. The reason? Jiu jitsu and MMA! I've been a fan for quite a while, and my bike's hub explosion at the beginning of last winter gave me the perfect window of opportunity to get into it. Having done a fair amount of martial arts when I was younger, I knew a lot of the basics already. Once I got in there and started again, it turned into a rekindled addiction that I can't go a few days without enjoying. With that said, I was lurking around the site today and became curious if any others trained. If so, where?

For those who do not train, or don't know much about the sport (which may even be all of you), I'll tell you a bit about it. Jiu Jitsu itself is a style of ground fighting (grappling) originally developed as a means for a smaller/weaker opponent to defend against a larger/stronger opponent. The difference between jiu jitsu and the broader term 'grappling', being that jiu jitsu practitioners wear a gi and can use it to their advantage in competition, while grapplers can wear whatever they choose but can not use clothing for chokes/grips.

For those of you that wrestled, grappling ("no gi" jiu jitsu, as it is called) is a common next step. A grappling match is quite similar to a wrestling match, with the exception that instead of trying to pin your opponent, you are trying to get them to tap out to a submission (a choke or joint manipulation). You can also win by points (awarded for takedowns, submission attempts, and dominant positions).

Here is a little highlight video of one of the current jiu jitsu greats - jacare!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdbNiNk7c1Y

Here is a highlight of a fighter named Nick Diaz, who has integrated jiu jitsu into his MMA better than almost anyone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cyU8Oa5rJk

Not so much grappling/Jiu Jitsu, but MMA has gained a bad reputation as of late by ignorant people who don't know what it is. They'd like to have you think that it is no more than human cockfighting, but in reality it is a very family-oriented sport that births discipline, strengthens family and friendship bonds, and preaches healthy and clean living.

Fitness-wise, nothing that I've ever been involved with has gotten me in the shape that grappling has. Before I started training, I was putting on 30+ road miles a day on my DH bike (SC Bullit), on top of weight training at the gym. None of that could compare to the workouts obtained simply from active grappling. My cardio is now better than it's ever been, I am leaner and weigh less, yet feel much stronger. Not a negative thing to say about it, besides the pains associated with finding out the sore way about muscles you never knew you had. Grappling is also a huge draw for the 35+ crowd, as it is an excellent workout, but low impact if you are doing it right (and smart).

Anyhow, I realize that I'm rambling now, as is easy to do with something that you're passionate about. As I was saying... Anybody else train?

p.s. don't worry, I still love biking and will be hopping back in when I get my bike back from cycle works on friday!

Last edited by a moderator:

NJ Jess

Ouch

We have Brazilian JiuJitsu here is TR. A lot of the police guys take it. I did one workout and conceeded that my lower back couldnt handle it atop of my work. I did enjoy the kicking and blocking sessions, but I find the gym in my schedule easier. VS has Tapout and extreme cage fighting,...which will definitely get you pumped while on the trainer. I commend you on your fitness because I know JiuJitsu is more a lifestyle than just an exercise,...hope to see you on the trails.

J

Jeff

We have Brazilian JiuJitsu here is TR. A lot of the police guys take it. I did one workout and conceeded that my lower back couldnt handle it atop of my work. I did enjoy the kicking and blocking sessions, but I find the gym in my schedule easier. VS has Tapout and extreme cage fighting,...which will definitely get you pumped while on the trainer. I commend you on your fitness because I know JiuJitsu is more a lifestyle than just an exercise,...hope to see you on the trails.

Yep- a lot of police seem to gravitate towards BJJ for one reason or another. Which, when they come in to train, also serves as a nice way to blow off some pent up aggression for all of those worthless quota-filler tickets :getsome:.

I'm not a big fan of tapout, as a brand or as a television show. They tend to make a mockery of the sport and make the rest of us look like make-up wearing dolts (which I will deny until somebody finds those pictures I tried to have destroyed...). But at the same time, I can't hate too much on a company that's brought so much mainstream attention and funding to the sport as well.

Anyhoo, if you spend a lot of time at allamuchy or on the roads around sussex and morris, I'm sure you will see me. Until then, happy trailing!

walter

Fourth Party
If you watch the Ultimate Fighter TV show, keep an eye on a dude named Dante Rivera. He's from Jackson NJ and has been tearing people up on the local scene for a few years. Had the pleasure to watch him fight at several local venues and he's a tough fella.

J

Jeff

If you watch the Ultimate Fighter TV show, keep an eye on a dude named Dante Rivera. He's from Jackson NJ and has been tearing people up on the local scene for a few years. Had the pleasure to watch him fight at several local venues and he's a tough fella.

Indeed- I'm very fond of him! I actually like the show and think it is very well done. In contrast to BET's new "iron ring", where rappers lead MMA teams... yeah... There's actually a morristown cop on there named Joe Camacho. Best of luck to him, but the show is near intolerable.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I only see MMA / BJJ / Muy Tai growing and growing. UFC is finding mainstream appeal and is simply more enjoyable each year. Less a novelty and more an actual sports league. And for long-time boxing fans like myself, as that sport becomes sadder with each passing year, MMA will get more and more of us crossing over.

ArmyOfNone

Im a big fan of krav maga. Thats what we learned in the academy. Its simple and doesnt require many complicated steps and movements. To me it is also the most practical discipline for the street.

walter

Fourth Party
Im a big fan of krav maga.

I like this alot, especially #1.

According to a description written for the self-publication media site Associated Content, the basic premises of Krav Maga are:

You're not going to care how much damage you're going to cause.
Cause as much damage as possible and run.
Do not try to prolong a fight. Do what needs to be done and escape.

Good stuff, my good friend is an old school Jersey Trooper and has showed me alot of this stuff over the years. I agree with ArmyofFred, very effective.

ArmyOfNone

Handle the threat as quickly and efficiently as possible. As our instructor said, "You will blow them the *&@! up with a series of offensive blows...they wont know what the *&@! hit them."

walter

Fourth Party
are there any krav maga guys tearing up mma? or are the most effective km hit's banned?

I would say that most of the stuff taught in Krav Maga would be illegal in most MMA arenas. I am sure some guys would have some training in it and I think probably the best candidate would be Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic. He is a member of the Croatian Parliament and a Croatian Special Forces member, who I believe were trained by the Israelis. He was a long time Pride fighter who recently came to the UFC but didnt fair to well there, mostly speculated because Pride doesnt test for steroids and UFC does.

A little bit of trivia for you all, Miami Inks Ami James is trained in Krav Maga as he was an Israeli soldier when he was younger.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
all israelis that are of able body are required to spend two years in the armed forces in some respect. i used to live with two israeli ladies.

didn't know pride doesn't test. wouldn't have suspected cro cop though. silva, definitely, but not cro cop.

walter

Fourth Party
all israelis that are of able body are required to spend two years in the armed forces in some respect. i used to live with two israeli ladies.

didn't know pride doesn't test. wouldn't have suspected cro cop though. silva, definitely, but not cro cop.

I have several friends that train/fight at the non UFC/Pride level in King of the Cage and Ring of Combat tournaments, and with my work I also deliver to several fight schools, this is just what I hear from them. I dont think it has ever been on the web or stated elsewhere. Just one of those things you hear from people in the know.

J

Jeff

I have several friends that train/fight at the non UFC/Pride level in King of the Cage and Ring of Combat tournaments, and with my work I also deliver to several fight schools, this is just what I hear from them. I dont think it has ever been on the web or stated elsewhere. Just one of those things you hear from people in the know.

Cro Cop was actually my favorite fighter hands down for a while (not to say that I've lost any respect interest in him). He also stated that he lost a lot of his drive that he had in Pride. Personally, I loved Pride way more than the UFC. I never liked pro wrestling, but I loved prides entrance videos and cinematics! Anyhoo, Cro Cop now signed to Dream and is putting on a bunch of weight, and supposedly revitalized. We'll see I suppose...

J

Jeff

I dunno if any of you follow sport jiu jitsu, but I figured I'd post this here anyhow- this is one of the most extreme toolings in the black belt division that I've ever seen. This took place at the 2008 ADCCs (which is basically like the jiu jitsu nationals). The guy that got spanked tried an illegal heel hook and pissed andre galvao off, resulting in this clinic being ran. The real schooling starts at about 1:00 in.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyvPNivigc4

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
amazing amazing amazing. great post. id liek to show this to all the guidos down the shore that think they are "fighters" because they own a tapout shirt.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I dunno if any of you follow sport jiu jitsu, but I figured I'd post this here anyhow- this is one of the most extreme toolings in the black belt division that I've ever seen. This took place at the 2008 ADCCs (which is basically like the jiu jitsu nationals). The guy that got spanked tried an illegal heel hook and pissed andre galvao off, resulting in this clinic being ran. The real schooling starts at about 1:00 in.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyvPNivigc4

That is seriously hysterical. You would thought his opponent began his training last weekend.

Jeff - Can you point out where the illegal move is?

I am pretty big mma fan and I have no idea what I just witnessed. It looks like the guy on the bottom might have tapped, but I have no idea why.

And another reason for CroCop's demise in the UFC is that fighting in the ring is a lot different then fighting in the cage. The added cage size and the lack of corners hurt his style of fighting. I personally don't buy the steroid argument.

walter

Fourth Party
Big round of applause for Forrest Griffin and Patrick Cote. I guess Koscheck and Stevenso too

Top Bottom