• road helmet

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • dark helmet

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, so i just bought a new helmet and it occured to me: over the last few months i've been doing probably 90% of my riding on the road...yet i bought an mtb helmet. now, i don't want to, nor will i ever go full-on matchy-matchy (at 200lbs....do you really want that?)but does it make more sense for me to have a road helmet since that's where i spend my time? i'm guessing it's personal choice but what do you have? discuss.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
ok, so i just bought a new helmet and it occured to me: over the last few months i've been doing probably 90% of my riding on the road...yet i bought an mtb helmet. now, i don't want to, nor will i ever go full-on matchy-matchy (at 200lbs....do you really want that?)but does it make more sense for me to have a road helmet since that's where i spend my time? i'm guessing it's personal choice but what do you have? discuss.

I have one for mountain biking and one for the road.

MMuller

Giro pnuemo for me. Worked well whilst hitting a tree, endos, etc.

Curious, should a helmut be replaced after so many years? How many? Have replaced pads and wash straps so looks and seems to work fine.

May the Schwartz be with you.

ArmyOfNone

I second the sweep xc. I think its one of the best looking helmets out there. And you have the visor option. I just rock it visor-less. Its just more stuff for me to smash into while in the woods.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
i would say unless you bought a hex, zen or flux, you're good.

i have a bell xray. with the visor removed it passes for a road helmet. i'm not buying another helmet for the road, just as i'm not buying more clothes or even road pedals and shoes. would any and all help? sure. still not doing it. i'm a mountain biker.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
To be honest with you I don't know the difference, functionally and at time cosmetically, between the two. Is having a visor the only difference?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i don't do road, but i would think a helmet is a helmet, so if you have a helmet that works for both... save some scratch and use what you have for both types of riding.

does the visor on a mtn bike slow a rider down on the road by creating drag? is that why there are road helmets and mtn helmets?

i would want a visor on the road anyway, i could imagine there being much more sun on the road and visor could help a bit with the eyes on sunny days. also, being that i am not lance or jan, if there were any drag created by a visor, it really wouldn't matter for me in the overall grand scheme of things... but then again, i don't race or train or anything like that.

J-Dro

does the visor on a mtn bike slow a rider down on the road by creating drag? is that why there are road helmets and mtn helmets?

Yes, speaking as someone who only has an MTB helmet, the visor can act as a 'sail' on the road and catch the wind when you are going fast. Its not so much that it creates drag, but it pushes the helmet back on your head. More of an annoyance then anything, unless you are racing of course.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Yes, speaking as someone who only has an MTB helmet, the visor can act as a 'sail' on the road and catch the wind when you are going fast. Its not so much that it creates drag, but it pushes the helmet back on your head. More of an annoyance then anything, unless you are racing of course.

thanks - i could see that being a PITA after awhile...

BiknBen

The road vs mtb helmet is nothing more than Giro and Bell trying to double-dip. Do not succumb to the marketing BS. The helmets have to pass the same safety requirements regardless of their intended use.

The visor is associated with MotoX therefor they are added to MTB helmets so they look cool. They server little purpose. They may shade the eyes slightly or direct air into the vents. That is debatable.

I remember noticing that MTB helmets always had a center area (instead of a vent) so that a light could be mounted. That seems to have changed in recent years.

My criteria for helmet choice? Fit!!! Can I fit my glasses in the vents? Can I mount a light on it?

I think I own 5 helmets. The Marketing Dept. loves me.

NJMX835

Giro pnuemo for me. Worked well whilst hitting a tree, endos, etc.

Curious, should a helmut be replaced after so many years? How many? Have replaced pads and wash straps so looks and seems to work fine.

May the Schwartz be with you.

This based on what I have been told about full face moto or DH type helmets, I don't know how much applies to other types, but as I understand it, the foam in them deteriorates over time & therefore helmets should be replaced about every four years or so.

Also, if they take one very hard hit (like would knock you stupid) you must replace them immediately & never use the old one again.

You can check for damage from a hit by removing the helmet liner & looking to see if the 'Styrofoam' material inside is cracked or compressed in any way.

If it is, you must replace the helmet.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I ride mostly road and use a Serfas Cosmos Plus I bought late in '06(apparently just before they stopped making helmets). I assume it's a road helmet and it has a visor. I considered it personal preference to wear or not to wear the visor and I've never felt a pull from the wind. Even ripping down hills... but then, I'm tucked in and generally whipping past my featherweight companions.

No, I don't believe it's ever slowed me down, but if it has, I'm sure it's only been on the climbs...

Actually, I love the visor for keeping the sun out of my eyes and it's got a big cool factor....

In the woods, same deal. In fact, I'd find the only advantage to a visor in the woods is clearing branches(if they didn't get stuck in it), but that's what glasses are for, right?

The helmet has served me well and seems to have come through a spectacular crash in RW on Sunday that knocked me silly and left me with a touch of whiplash and an almost certainly cracked rib.

So, The helmet is still solid and shows NO signs of physical damage(but, seriously, my head does) Do you think I should replace it anyway?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
So, The helmet is still solid and shows NO signs of physical damage(but, seriously, my head does) Do you think I should replace it anyway?

Yes. The helmets are only made to take one shot. Check with the manufacture, they might be able to test the helmet and see if it is indeed shot. On the other hand, its only your head/brain that the helmet is protecting. Everyone has a price they are willing to pay for protection and not living as a vegetable.

Nimrod

Just got me a Unvex helmet. Fine piece of German engineering, Carbon style looky, use it for both MTB and Road. Its a Cross over Helmet;) Also has a little Red LED blinky light on the top which I just for commuting.

NJ Jess

Vents

Most road helmets are designed to have more vents to cool you. (Remember when the Tour de France riders could take off their helmets before the climbs?) Therefore, if you are a fast XC racer, consider Tymor or Hidden Valley's climbing and the need to vent body heat, one might choose a road helmet instead.

The visor is great in sunny conditions as well as muddy ones. I have in the past put the Moto eyeglass sheilds on the visor with tape. This works great in muddy but not rainny situations. It looks silly, but it doesn't fog up like glasses.

Lastly, find a company and style of helmet that really fits, then either buy 2 helmets or stick with the same company of your previous helmet. The head mold for these helmets is VERY expensive. Companies can only make so many molds to be cost effective. I have 2 Giro that I can't stand, but love the Bell Ghisallo and now have 2 of them.

Top Bottom