Road passing etiquette

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What is the proper road etiquette when passing someone on the road? Are you susposed to give advanced warning?

Last edited:
What is the proper road etiquette when passing someone on the road? I was behind a lady today and I trailed here for a bit but then just passed on her left and ofcourse farted right has a fell back in line. Are you susposed to give advanced warning?

For the passing or farting? :D

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've been road biking for 2 months and the only etiquette I've noticed is to not wave when waved at. Hi! No wave back. Hello there! Blank stares.

Nice guys these roadies. I want to hustle back home and get the car and mow them down myself.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been road biking for 2 months and the only etiquette I've noticed is to not wave when waved at. Hi! No wave back. Hello there! Blank stares.

Nice guys these roadies. I want to hustle back home and get the car and mow them down myself.

you sound just like brett now..

last year i got one wave from a couple guys...nothing from anyone else. if you don't have a road bike (the street fighter NOT looked upon well) or the matchy-matchy attire, don't expect much.

oh, and i did get passed once and the dude said zilch. i didn't even know he was there until he was next to me.

Glancing Aft

I usually wait for a nice big uphill and pass them midway up so they feel like a chump :D

I actually got a wave back from a roadie on Tuesday, my jersey did match my bike though. :hmmm:

TonyC

reminds me of back in the day when I had a gixxer. You must never wave to Harley riders just other sportbikes. I guess Harley riders ride real bikes. Don't know. Whatever!

liong71er

well,..hello all.
it doesn't matter,no matter what kind of bikes u ride.if ur personalty is an
badass,then ur will always be an ass###$ :D

Road passing etiquette...

If William Nealy (author of the Mountain Biker's Way of Knowledge... must reading) were still alive, he would instruct as follows:

Proper Road Passing Etiquette:

- Aim for the rider
- Minimize damage to the bike
- If frame has adequate clearance for fat tires, take it... otherwise leave it

Peace,
MBB

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i usually get funny looks because I wear my baggies....

today I waved at a rider and he literally just started at me as I passed..what a stupid f!

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I have never had a problem with rude roadies in my area (princeton/allentown and nearby)

the rudest group of people on bikes is bmxers. I remember like 6 or 7 years ago seeing another bmxer was a rare thing, you'd stop and talk, exchange #'s, ride for awhile and probably become friends. Now you say hi, they check to see how tight your pants are and how ugly the color of your frame is and if you're not cool enough, they'll usually just ignore you.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys are probably all missing the wave. It's usually the road-side hand, sometimes no more than a pinky being lifted off the bars. I almost always get some sort of acknowledgement on the road bike, and I'm fat and never match. So you're probably just missing the subtle wave.

dualfisted

reminds me of back in the day when I had a gixxer. You must never wave to Harley riders just other sportbikes. I guess Harley riders ride real bikes. Don't know. Whatever!

I ride a gnarley Harley, and I wave to anything on two wheels, as well as yelling "cyclismo" to anyone with pedals, not that I know what that means, I just do it cause it's fun. As for passing etiquette, I like passing roadies on my mt. bike and in baggies or even better, with pants on, they hate that shit. Plus, if you can sneak up on them, and push them off the road, that's even better, haha. See, I'm a human contradiction, really nice, yet a real so'm bitch.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I ride a gnarley Harley, and I wave to anything on two wheels, as well as yelling "cyclismo" to anyone with pedals

having always done stuff that can be in and around traffic (skating and bikes) when people yell anything aside from "YO!" from a vehicle, it just sounds like nothing when you are the person being yelled at. While the f-ing jock is probably yelling "skater fag", it just sounds like skleaelkdalk.

Top Bottom