South Mountain Annual Meeting

SpartaBard

I just got this email about South Mountain trail access.

Dear Recent (or Future) South Mountain Trail Work Participant:

As you may know, a group of local mountain bikers has been working with The South Mountain Conservancy, JORBA and representatives from Essex County to develop a plan to allow mountain biking at South Mountain Reservation on a pilot basis.? At its January Board meeting, the Conservancy voted unanimously (with one member absent) to support the plan.? However, due to very recent concerns by the County, the plan has been put on hold indefinitely while the County reviews it in more detail.

Please try to attend the upcoming Annual Meeting of the South Mountain Conservancy where this plan and the County's response will be discussed. This meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 1st at the Maplewood Library starting at 7PM (see attached flyer for more details).? It is important that your voice be heard on this issue, so I hope you can join us.

At this time, we intend to continue the monthly Trail Work Days in which many of you have participated.? The first one for 2008 is scheduled for Sunday April 6th from 9:00 AM to Noon.? An email with details will follow in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your help in the past and for your support in bringing responsible riding opportunities back to South Mountain.

Happy Trails_.

Don Schatz

South Mountain Conservancy

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Thanks guys. Hope to see some of you there!

p.s. If you live in Essex County please visit:

Montclair Bikery, High Gear Cyclery, Diamond Cycle or Cyclecraft

to sign a petition stating that you "support the sustainable trails initiative in South Mountain Reservation" and that you "support the South Mountain Conservancy's Mountain Biking Pilot program" for the reservation. danke!

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Thanks guys. Hope to see some of you there!

p.s. If you live in Essex County please visit:

Montclair Bikery, High Gear Cyclery, Diamond Cycle or Cyclecraft

to sign a petition stating that you "support the sustainable trails initiative in South Mountain Reservation" and that you "support the South Mountain Conservancy's Mountain Biking Pilot program" for the reservation. danke!

Mergs,

Can we set up some sort of online petition? I dont know how to do so myself but im sure this will greatly help all those on the front lines.

Jase

I was there. Good turn out. It was my first meeting and enjoyed it. The back and forth with that lady and the presenter. I didn't know what she was trying to say.

But anyway it was good and I plan on being at the TM on the 6th of April at S. Mountain. Looking forward to it.

Eileen

It was my first time at the meeting too. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about flowers, trees and deer. Watching the old lady argue with that guy was pretty funny.

More importantly a lot people seemed to be on board with the idea of sustainable trails, but some don't even want to hear it. I can't make it to the TM this Sunday, but I'll definitely try to make the next one.

Nice to meet you Mergs and keep up the awesome work :getsome:

Shaggz

A strong 7
the irony of these public meetings is that for the most part, both the objecters and supporters do not represent the majority voice of the citizens. let's be honest, most people only attend these things when there is something that they care about at stake.

Gregg

Same old same old

As a long time biker(if it had wheels I rode it) and some one who got to legally enjoy riding South Mountain back in the day('91) I would urge everyone to sign the petition sheets and attend the meetings. The area has been closed to us for too long and our voices need to be heard. If we don't make a presence the loud few will triumph over the majority. The more bikers that show up for trail maintenance will help them see not only can we ride there we are able to keep our trails in good condition. Although I live over an hour away I will try to make it to as many events as I can to lend support.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Area shops have petitions going stating support for the South Mountain Conservancy's Mountain Biking Pilot:

-Cyclecraft, Parsippany
-Montclair Bikery, guess ;)
-Diamond Cycle, Montclair
-High Gear, Millburn
-Victory Bike and Ski, Union

I'd urge all Essex County residents to sign right away. Because the intention of this is to get metrics on how many Essex County residents (voters) support the plan, Essex County residents only please. :rolleyes:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Mergs,

Can we set up some sort of online petition? I dont know how to do so myself but im sure this will greatly help all those on the front lines.

Fred, its not appropriate at this time. They want paper sigs and they only want Essex Co residents. Massive amounts of signatures by "out-of-towners" are actually a detriment because they feel the Res will be swarmed by out of county mountain dew swilling, rude and dangerous mountain bikers. Yeah, I know... silly but welcome to my nightmare... anyway. Not at this time, but thanks for offering.

ArmyOfNone

Fred, its not appropriate at this time. They want paper sigs and they only want Essex Co residents. Massive amounts of signatures by "out-of-towners" are actually a detriment because they feel the Res will be swarmed by out of county mountain dew swilling, rude and dangerous mountain bikers. Yeah, I know... silly but welcome to my nightmare... anyway. Not at this time, but thanks for offering.

Thats cool. No worries. I just wanted to help and being so far away i figured that would be the best i could do. Let us know when we can jump in!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
It was my first time at the meeting too. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about flowers, trees and deer. Watching the old lady argue with that guy was pretty funny.

More importantly a lot people seemed to be on board with the idea of sustainable trails, but some don't even want to hear it. I can't make it to the TM this Sunday, but I'll definitely try to make the next one.

Nice to meet you Mergs and keep up the awesome work :getsome:

Thanks for stopping by the meeting, and support the effort! :)

I enjoyed the exchange too... I liked his common sense, no - bs approach. He's a true scientist, whereas she was emotionally driven and probably prone to knee jerk conclusions (e.g. blaming the deer on "global warming").

Top Bottom