Bike Washing Question?

BAIN

A posting on here made me bring up a question that I always debated.

Is it better to leave the mud on your bike rather then washing it everytime and increasing the chance of rusting or does the mud contribute to rust just as much as washing it?

I always leave the mud on and then on the next ride it just falls off.

BiknBen

Is it better to leave the mud on your bike rather then washing it everytime and increasing the chance of rusting or does the mud contribute to rust just as much as washing it?

I don't know what you are talking about. I never ride in mud because it is bad for the trails. No need to clean! :rofl:

More seriously, if you clean with water, just lube parts afterwards. Rust should not be a concern.

OTOH, I recommend keeping the drivetrain as clean as you can. Mud/debris will increase wear on the moving parts.

Last edited:

VanDbtRiver

i have been getting in the habit of washing the bike down immediately after the ride. I also hit it with a light citrus degreeser. nothing works better on the drivetrain than good ole wd 40. take care not to blast high pressure water into moving part like pivots, bearings and suspension seals, wash those areas by hand. i rap my susp. sliders with a rag soaked in lightweight oil overnight = buttery movement the next ride. use your favorite chain lube as a final step. I have seen guys at races with chapin sprayers, the kind that you use to spray herbicides, to wash down their bikes and they seem effective. bottom line, wash the bike before the mud turns into hardened cement.

Mike679

I generally stay away from using a hose at all unless the bike is really dirty. I let everything dry and knock it off using various-sized brushes (smaller brushes for the tighter areas, obviously) and go over everything w/ a wet rag to shine it up a little. Lube the moving parts as needed.

Drivetrain gets some TLC (remove chain, degrease, relube, etc.), but I try to avoid excessive amounts of water whenever possible.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I generally stay away from using a hose at all unless the bike is really dirty. I let everything dry and knock it off using various-sized brushes (smaller brushes for the tighter areas, obviously) and go over everything w/ a wet rag to shine it up a little. Lube the moving parts as needed.

Drivetrain gets some TLC (remove chain, degrease, relube, etc.), but I try to avoid excessive amounts of water whenever possible.

this is my method as well. especially in the winter.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
see, even if ss bikes aren't winning world cups, when you factor maintenance time to get the bike working correctly and clean before and after races, ss are like sooooo much faster. :cool:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
A posting on here made me bring up a question that I always debated.

John from Cycleworks gave me a great idea for cleaning my bike -- I purchased one of those hand week sprayers and and bring it with me to spray down the bike after a particularly dirty ride. The water evaporates on the ride home, where I then lube the chain. Works great, and the sprayers do not produce that much pressure that you have to worry about water getting past the bearing seals.

0002992560151_500X500.jpg

Mare

That's a great idea!

I have been hosing my bikes down for many years and it really doesn't pose a problem. Dry it, lube it, and it will be fine.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
i have been getting in the habit of washing the bike down immediately after the ride. I also hit it with a light citrus degreeser. nothing works better on the drivetrain than good ole wd 40. take care not to blast high pressure water into moving part like pivots, bearings and suspension seals, wash those areas by hand. i rap my susp. sliders with a rag soaked in lightweight oil overnight = buttery movement the next ride. use your favorite chain lube as a final step. I have seen guys at races with chapin sprayers, the kind that you use to spray herbicides, to wash down their bikes and they seem effective. bottom line, wash the bike before the mud turns into hardened cement.

you do know the whole wd40 is not a lube thing, right?

Also, some shock companies say to not use lithium based greases or lubes on their shocks, fwiw. . .

VanDbtRiver

you do know the whole wd40 is not a lube thing, right?

Also, some shock companies say to not use lithium based greases or lubes on their shocks, fwiw. . .

si senor, i use it to degrease only. I have used the bio and eco friendly stuff in the past but it doesnt degrease as well as wd. imo

BiknBen

...I have used the bio and eco friendly stuff in the past but it doesnt degrease as well as wd. imo

Find some Finish Line Speed Clean or White Lightning equivelant. These products blow WD-40 away. Grime just melts away and the stuff evaporates and leaves no residue at all. Amazing sh!t.

Top Bottom