What's Up!

• Thread starter SpiffyMcMountainBike
  • Start date
S

SpiffyMcMountainBike

Hey everyone, new member here. Name is Frank. I'm 24 and from Staten Island. I like the outdoors and like to have fun whenever I can to break up the Mon-Fri, 9-5 crap. There are a few small patches of woods I can ride not far from my house, but since I'm really close to the good stuff in NJ I want to hit up all the places there are to ride in it.

I started to get into mountain biking about 3 years ago (hit up Ringwood a bunch of times in addition to my local trails) but stopped for a bit due to a knee injury I got doing something else. I'm looking forward to getting back into it this year. I picked up a new bike (thanks again to Halter's Cycles for hookin me up ) and can't wait to get out there. I've got no problems with pitching in for trail maintenance and stuff too so let me know. Hope to see you all out there.
Later

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Hey Frank- we're working on trails at Wolfe's Pond Park on Staten Island and should start construction by April, so good mtb-specific trails are on their way to SI...

S

SpiffyMcMountainBike

Oo that's awesome! that's where I would ride a lot. I always wondered if it was really ok to ride in there or not and or who maintained that stuff. Definitely let me know when the maintenance is, I'm down. I've actually got a few pics I took in there back in March of 2005 with my old bike:

88825232ue8.jpg

49852087qo0.jpg

45298427mp9.jpg

89784912mf6.jpg

33677927sj3.jpg

12964113gw0.jpg

68440230kh8.jpg

97445457aa3.jpg

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Welcome to the group. Keep an eye on the boards here and there will be plenty of chances to ride and do trail maintenance with a great bunch of folks.

TommyCrash

Welcome, and anytime you want to ride here, be my guest. I went to Brooklyn today and coming home was trafficless and great! Let me know when you want to ride. Are there any trails at the mountains of garbage I contibuted to? Seriously a legit question. I drove to Brooklyn today and saw anll the garbage mountains and saw uphill climbing with downhill bliss. Has anyone or organized group try to make landfills anything but ski resorts in my '80's dream?

S

SpiffyMcMountainBike

cool thanks everyone.

I went to Brooklyn today and coming home was trafficless and great! Let me know when you want to ride. Are there any trails at the mountains of garbage I contibuted to? Seriously a legit question. I drove to Brooklyn today and saw anll the garbage mountains and saw uphill climbing with downhill bliss. Has anyone or organized group try to make landfills anything but ski resorts in my '80's dream?

Congratulations on your traffic less journey to Brooklyn. You should go buy a lottery ticket because that's a pretty rare occurrence :D . The highways on the island suck and were outgrown years ago. You'll be happy to know that they do plan to turn the "FreshKills Landfill" into a park some day. I'm not sure exactly when but I know proposals have been submitted as to how it would look. You may actually get your wish!

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Oo that's awesome! that's where I would ride a lot. I always wondered if it was really ok to ride in there or not and or who maintained that stuff. Definitely let me know when the maintenance is, I'm down.

You aren't the only person who does ride in there even though it's technical not legal right now. Next time you're in there, look for the orange tape, and you'll see some of the trails we're flagged out to cut.

Has anyone or organized group try to make landfills anything but ski resorts in my '80's dream?

Why yes, we have. Mountain biking is part of the Fresh Kills landfill redevelopment (although the earliest that trails will be ride-able in there is 2012 or so), and last fall we met with the Superintendent of the Gateway National Recreation Area (some of those landfills next to the Belt Parkway will become part of the National Park over the next few years) to begin exploring how we might utilize them for riding. They're long-term projects, but we're on it.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome to the nut house.

Yes I stole that from Jake. :D

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
hey frank...keep an eye on the threads i live in south amboy right across the $8 bridge...you can def pick up on some group rides the trails that i do most of the time are an extra 15min from the bridge...CR 6mile hartshorne and allaire...when the weather gets nicer its time to venture further out towards the boarders north and north west...good to meet you keep an eye out

S

SpiffyMcMountainBike

Welcome to the nut house.

^ I'll fit right in. :D

Yeah that sux that they raised the toll to $8. We get a resident discount with the E-Z Pass but it still sux. I'm picking up my bike from the shop on Saturday i cant wait. It's torture knowing it's sitting there and I cant get it because I wont make it in time after work before they close. A few more days lol.... :drooling:

Top Bottom