Ringwood

Spartacus

Thinkin about thrashin ringwood this weekend

I wonder how the conditions will be and if the weather is gunna hold

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Haven't been there in a few weeks, but I'm thinking with the 2-2.5 inches of rain we're supposed to gert Saturday, it'll be pretty soft...and what's with all you Visionaires hankerin' for our beautiful Garden State trailage? First we converted KenS, then sevendust, then Nimrod, now Spartacus. Who next, maybe flycycle? Bean and the rest of the 'Eastern Empire'? :)

Keefe

Careful with this information

Don't let a certain group at MTBR.com/New Jersey know you want to go riding now. Their likely to castrate you. They'll tell you it's too wet and your ruining it for everyone. Go figure? Maybe we need to check with the tree huggers 1st for their approval.

walter

Fourth Party
Don't let a certain group at MTBR.com/New Jersey know you want to go riding now. Their likely to castrate you. They'll tell you it's too wet and your ruining it for everyone. Go figure? Maybe we need to check with the tree huggers 1st for their approval.

Actually, we are over here more than we are over there.

And I'm no fucking tree hugger.

t.wach

I just went hiking up to Webley's today and off the fire roads it wasn't that bad. I think most of the trails will be fine. Anymore rain though will definatly make it a mess.

Keefe

So let me ask your opinion. Do you think it's like a South Jersey thing? Alot of those folks ride mostly south of route 22. Half the time I ride it's wet in North Jersey even if it hasn't rained in 5 days. I still come back with mud up my back. I get so tired of their mantra "do as we do or be damed". I've been riding and racing Ringwood, Mahlon, Kittatinny and Allumuchy since 1997 and somehow still they exist with all the wet riding that guys like me are guilty of. Notice I say guilty, they consider you criminal.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
So let me ask your opinion. Do you think it's like a South Jersey thing? Alot of those folks ride mostly south of route 22. Half the time I ride it's wet in North Jersey even if it hasn't rained in 5 days. I still come back with mud up my back. I get so tired of their mantra "do as we do or be damed". I've been riding and racing Ringwood, Mahlon, Kittatinny and Allumuchy since 1997 and somehow still they exist with all the wet riding that guys like me are guilty of. Notice I say guilty, they consider you criminal.

yea they still exist because awesome-o people lend a hand to trail maintaining.

don't bring this argument over here. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373062&page=2

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

What exactly are you looking for with the post? If you're just coming here to start arguments, you're wasting your time.

If your opinion is that you're going to ride when it's muddy and everyone else should STFU, you're not going to make many friends. But if you think everyone indeed should STFU, not sure what you're looking to do with this post.

A little clarity may help, maybe not.

Keefe

Well Norm, I sorry if that South Jersey thing was inapproiate. But let me ask you? You know what the question is, your not a dumb a** where do you stand? When do you ride and when don't ya ride. Assuming it doesn't rain on Sunday are you riding or not. Your either on board or your not is that perfectly clear?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's not inappropriate, I'm seriously trying to get an idea of your approach here. You've got 3 posts, all somewhat confrontational. I'll grant you that it's a little more saucy than the typical, "Hi I'm Bob and I ride bikes," but it seems you're itching for an argument. We try to keep it civil. I'm all for disagreements but we want to be mostly civil.

Personally I don't like riding in the mud because it's a mess. I don't think people should, but I honestly don't hold it against people if they do. It's not my place to judge others. I used to do it 2 years ago and it fucked up all my bearings and made my bike a total mess. I'm sure it wasn't good for the trails either but like you say the parks are fine at the end of the day.

I do think you should avoid the trails if it's rained the whole week. But if it's mostly dry or even so-so and it rains, hey it's your choice. To me it's not an "us vs. them" situation. If you feel ok with it, again, it's not my place to judge. But if you have to chip the mud off with a butter knife after you ride, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

To that end, it also hurts the cause because every biker covered head-to-toe in mud makes us all look like we don't care. Since we go through these cycles of access battles, being seen as the guys who ride in the messy trails isn't a good thing.

On the other hand, there are some that cry wolf when it sprinkles and I think they're over the top.

On Sunday I'll be on the other side of the world so I haven't given it a thought.

Keefe

You know Norm, most of the time I feel like Simon Cowell from Americian Idol who is booed for telling the truth with his honest opinions. Everyone wants to hear pleasantries all the time and has that follow the heard mentality. Your post is actually intelligent, thoughtful and honest and that deserves respect. Even if you don't agree with my opinions your not out to convert but only convey.

Cheers and point taken.

Nimrod

and what's with all you Visionaires hankerin' for our beautiful Garden State trailage? First we converted KenS, then sevendust, then Nimrod, now Spartacus. Who next, maybe flycycle? Bean and the rest of the 'Eastern Empire'? :)

Coming in HOT! = My schedule (work trip to Chicago got canned) just opened up.
Waywanda here I come:D

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Coming in HOT! = My schedule (work trip to Chicago got canned) just opened up.
Waywanda here I come:D

:):):)

Just tread lightly, Emperor! Not to beat a dead horse and maybe some local yokels will chirp in but Waway is almost always the last of the Jersey trails to be rideable just for the massive amounts of the white stuff they usually receive.

Spartacus

Haven't been there in a few weeks, but I'm thinking with the 2-2.5 inches of rain we're supposed to gert Saturday, it'll be pretty soft...and what's with all you Visionaires hankerin' for our beautiful Garden State trailage? First we converted KenS, then sevendust, then Nimrod, now Spartacus. Who next, maybe flycycle? Bean and the rest of the 'Eastern Empire'? :)

How the hell is Sev?

I havent seen or herd from him in months !

I am spartacus............I am no member of an empire............I am a whore

:D

Rode RW a couple of years ago a couple of times. Both were ...........shall we say in unfavorable rding conditions. I frown upon riding in those types of conditions, but it was an oportunity to ride there. If its muddy I shall steer clear.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
right now the issue in north jersey isn't so much mud, it's frost heave. frost heave makes it worse. it basically means the trails just become really, really soft. you will leave ruts. ruts look ugly, lead to erosion, and suck to ride over for everyone else when the trail firms up.

maybe, just maybe, if just about everyone is telling you that you're wrong, you are.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
How the hell is Sev?

I havent seen or herd from him in months !

I am spartacus............I am no member of an empire............I am a whore

:D

Rode RW a couple of years ago a couple of times. Both were ...........shall we say in unfavorable rding conditions. I frown upon riding in those types of conditions, but it was an oportunity to ride there. If its muddy I shall steer clear.

Sev is doin' real well...check your PMs...maybe we can give you easties a tour once the trails tighten up a bit...;)

Nimrod

:):):)

Just tread lightly, Emperor! Not to beat a dead horse and maybe some local yokels will chirp in but Waway is almost always the last of the Jersey trails to be rideable just for the massive amounts of the white stuff they usually receive.

I'm talking about "Spring Cleaning";):D

There's a ton of rain coming, besides theres a race in Central Park Sunday!

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
The Long Island crew knows all about laying off soft trails, I know they will do the right thing :D

To the guy who doesnt like treehugging trail nazi's: Feel free to send me a PM. We can do a ride and discuss the issue, then sing kumbaya in the parking lot.

C

Cthulhu

... you will leave ruts. ruts look ugly, lead to erosion, and suck to ride over for everyone else when the trail firms up.

I'll second that. There were some pretty deep ruts a couple of weeks ago, just rock solid and a lot of times unavoidable. I caught a nasty one, wasn't fun.

That said my opinion is this: if you help damage the trails help maintain them. Use common sense when deciding to ride in wet conditions. I don't think you should scrap a ride for a drizzle, but right after heavy rainfall...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom