Hunterdon County Open Space threat - meeting tonight

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
cross post:
http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1736#1736

Action Alert: Hunterdon County Open Space may be threatened

The issue

The freeholders of Hunterdon County are discussing the Kingwood Township property in executive meeting on Tue, 4 March (today). The meeting will open for public comment and questions at 6pm. Hunterdon County residents that support open space should voice their support for saving this property in the name of open space for NJ.

Note: this item was added to executive agenda last minute and it does not appear on the agenda posted on the country's website. Apologies for the late notice. There is some fear by the Deputy Mayor of Kingwood that this open space could be lost without due process.

The open space

This 400 acres of open open space is currently used by equestrians, hikers and mountain biking informally. There is currently informal trail network and that its being used by mountain bikers. Apparently there is some question by the freeholders whether or not preserving this open space for these users is worthwhile. Ideally, some local trail users that utilize this area should attend the meeting and unify with all other trail users in support of retaining this open space. Locals my refer to this place as "Dr. J's" or "Clinton's".

A call to all residents is being here for us to share and we need as much support as possible!

What you can do:

If you are a county resident, attend the meeting, listen to the facts and if development or sale of the open space is planned, voice your support for keeping open space, and oppose sale or development.

Location of the meeting:

Place: 71 Main Street, Flemington, New Jersey 08822
(2nd floor of Flemington's new administrative building next to the old courthouse on Main Street)
Date: 4 March 2008 (Tuesday) at 6pm

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
p.s. if anyone out there rides this property, please pm me... i want to know more about it.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have never heard of this spot. Anyone else??

I will ask around too.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i used to live out in flemington and clinton and the only 'local' spot i rode was deer path park - right off of rt 31. i think its officially the 'henry buell trail'. a shorter out and back - in desperate need of TLC at the time (that was 2003). it did have some decently steep rock gardens tho - similar to what you would find at the sourlands, if i remember correctly.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-new-jersey/trail/PRD_169034_4564crx.aspx

is this the spot they were discussing at the meeting? the trail ends up terminating in some back yards of private homes.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
i don't know it either. i'm told that this spot is ridden by a few locals and some equestrians, and they want to improve it. they're just trying to a) save it and b) figure out how to improve it.

coincidentally, anyone that showed for the Jdog/JP extravaganza met the people trying to save the parcel. they are the 3 horse people that showed up to help you guys. pretty cool when you think of it. they want to save land for trails and they turn to us for help. i like that.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
i don't know it either. i'm told that this spot is ridden by a few locals and some equestrians, and they want to improve it. they're just trying to a) save it and b) figure out how to improve it.

coincidentally, anyone that showed for the Jdog/JP extravaganza met the people trying to save the parcel. they are the 3 horse people that showed up to help you guys. pretty cool when you think of it. they want to save land for trails and they turn to us for help. i like that.

Let me know if they do a trail day. I will be there.

J

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
This may be a tough battle as Hunterdon Co is not pro open space as interpreted by the legal effort to be exempt from the Highlands act.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would love to know where this is also. I know every road in Franklin and can't think of what it would be. There is a trail that goes from Pittstown (Frankilin Twp) to Clinton. It is used by equestrians alot. I have ridden it several times and never saw another bike. It is flat as flat can be and not one bit technical. I have asked every one I know that rides out in this area and they all ride RV, Deer Park (which is tiny) or Ralph Stover.....it's new to me.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
update.

I got a note from Meg (local) and John Burke (Dep. Mayor of Kingwood) and the meeting went well. Apparently the turnout was quite good and the Freeholders responded favorably to the cross section of attendees and their enthusiasm towards the future use of the property as open space.

If I get any more updates, I'll pass them along. If you are nearby and wish to work with the locals on future trail projects on this property, please contact John at: jburke -at- kingwoodtownship.com

For any of you that showed, thanks much for taking some time on things that matter.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Horseshoe Bend Road, South of Rt 12. My husband is away so no riding for me but I'm going to bring my kids for a 'hike' on it tomorrow.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
now i know where that place is... i always ended up skipping it for riding if i was driving out that far. i would end up cruising over the river and head to ralph stover in PA for the rocky riding that is there...

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got a little more info on this place. I went down there last weekend to look for it and found the trail access point. It is covered in No Trespassing signs so I stayed off the trail....I just got a bad speeding ticket so I'm abiding by the law for now. I spoke to a few people about this land and they confirmed that these trails are not public access as of now. I know a couple equestrians that use the trails, but since I don't have a horse I can't very well tag along on my bike. (Although Old Mountain Road is a great road to ride on if any of you are ever in the area doing a road ride....not too smooth but great rolling hills with no traffic.)

Right now 335 acres of the land is privately owned, the township owns 100+ contiguous acres. If the township got the funds to buy the 335 acres, a public use, western Hunterdon county park could be created. There is already 16 miles of trails on the property with possibility of connecting to other trails through easements. Hopefully a park will prevail and not 57 new homes!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I got a little more info on this place. I went down there last weekend to look for it and found the trail access point. It is covered in No Trespassing signs so I stayed off the trail....I just got a bad speeding ticket so I'm abiding by the law for now. I spoke to a few people about this land and they confirmed that these trails are not public access as of now. I know a couple equestrians that use the trails, but since I don't have a horse I can't very well tag along on my bike. (Although Old Mountain Road is a great road to ride on if any of you are ever in the area doing a road ride....not too smooth but great rolling hills with no traffic.)

Right now 335 acres of the land is privately owned, the township owns 100+ contiguous acres. If the township got the funds to buy the 335 acres, a public use, western Hunterdon county park could be created. There is already 16 miles of trails on the property with possibility of connecting to other trails through easements. Hopefully a park will prevail and not 57 new homes!

sweet, thanks for the report chemgirl. very much worth saving!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kingwood Township ended up purchasing this property. It is township property, not county property, so maintenance is the responsibility of the township. If anyone hears more regarding this, please post. I will gladly help them out in any way I can.

If Hunterdon is going to lose RV, hopefully we'll at least have this place to ride.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been told by several Kingwood residents that this trail system is a 'go'. My son wrestles in Kingwood and several of the parents were talking about it at practice. They specifically said "the township has approved for a network of trails to be built for bikers and equestrians" and that "a parking lot will be put in off of Horseshoe Bend Road to alleviate traffic on the back road". Has anyone else heard anything else about this? I was told to check out the Kingwood Township website, but it says very little, unless I'm missing something.

Top Bottom