ergon bike grips....

F

Firefly7

I have a carbon bar. (Raceface next sl Low riser carbon bar)..My question is I just put some ergon GR2 grips and my handle bars seem a whole lot longer for some reason....Has anyone had that issue. Unfortunatley, I have no choice but to use them because I have nerve damage to my wrists...I'm not sure if I should cut the bars or not....Anyone have an suggestions?:hmmm:..Is there a way to figur out how long your bars should be for a specific person...?:confused:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I don't think there's a set formula for how long your bar should be compared to your height/weight/etc. It is mostly based on your personal preference and perhaps riding style. If your bar seems too long then place your hands on the bar that's comfortable for you and cut off the rest. Just make sure you leave enough bar to fit the grips, shifters, and brake levers. Oh, what size ergon grips did you get? I got my wife a pair of women specific ergon grips which are a little smaller and shorter if bar length is a concern.

F

Firefly7

I don't think there's a set formula for how long your bar should be compared to your height/weight/etc. It is mostly based on your personal preference and perhaps riding style. If your bar seems too long then place your hands on the bar that's comfortable for you and cut off the rest. Just make sure you leave enough bar to fit the grips, shifters, and brake levers. Oh, what size ergon grips did you get? I got my wife a pair of women specific ergon grips which are a little smaller and shorter if bar length is a concern.

I got Small size, they fit my hands really well...I have about an 1'' and a half on both sides to chop off if I have to...Also, I reallized that there is some space on the grips themselves that serve no purpose...What sucks is I nevr cut a carbon bar...I don't want to screw up $135 bars..Have you ever cut carbon bars?

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's easy to cut them, use a pipe cutter. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a shop.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I got Small size, they fit my hands really well...I have about an 1'' and a half on both sides to chop off if I have to...Also, I reallized that there is some space on the grips themselves that serve no purpose...What sucks is I nevr cut a carbon bar...I don't want to screw up $135 bars..Have you ever cut carbon bars?
So just slide the grips on the bar until if feels right for you and mark the cutoff points. Just make sure both sides are equal. I've never cut carbon bars before but I would imagine you should use a hacksaw but I would check with a bike shop or the bar manufacturer first.

ArmyOfNone

I noticed to that my bars were a bit wider w/ the grips. How much im not quite sure. IMO wider is better. You will love these grips. They may be odd at first, but man they are comfy!

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
you need a different blade for you your hacksaw to cut carbon bars. I'll get back to you on the teeth count.

F

Firefly7

you need a different blade for you your hacksaw to cut carbon bars. I'll get back to you on the teeth count.

I believe it's 32 tooth count per square inch......I posted this here on mtbnj and also on MTBR titled "Handlebar Rules"....check it out..lots of usefull info....along with what I'm getting here....

The Kalmyk

I would say the difference in width is minimal....There is an internal silver clamp that sits in a half inch or so from the end off the grips....It is this clamp that lines up with the end off the bar leaving the grips to pertrude out a little....I am referring to the grips with the bar ends

Top Bottom