More proof...

don

Great vid! Looks like Sheep in some of those clips. And judging by the banners, Woodward West in the others. Funny, I haven't seen footage of the stunts at West yet and this is the first with a 20" rider. I really dig that step-up to skinny to step-down.

don

Woodward looks insane, we need one in NJ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUi5Bw-roLg

Do you think people would be interested in a setup like Woodward West? I've been thinking a lot about this lately coming off my trip to Ray's. An indoor/outdoor facility w/ ridable terrain for 6-60 year olds, guys and girls, and 16"-29" wheel bikes. Along w/ classes taught by great coaches, a dialed shop and a kick ass grille.

I know Woodward East isn't that far away but it seems more geared toward skate and BMX where West has some more mtb stuff. Places like Whistler as so far away. And the last time I was at Diablo, the ticket guy said something along the lines - "if you don't want to ride hard technical downhill trails then go someplace else" when asked if there were any blue square trails for our first run.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
yes, but you must call it Don's Grille and the bike shoppe must have the extra "e" :)

seriously, i would think a "NJ Ray's clone, done as well as the OH Ray's, would be a great business. i think you must cater to the 6-60 crowd to make it profitable. and if you create a positive vibe (and leave the diablo-tude out) it will do really well. it would certainly bring some soul to NJ riding.

in contrast, if its just a place where only pro talent go to, i.e unridable for mere mortals, and we stand around feeling a little lost, wholly outta place, then you're going to have a tough time staying in biz.

Last edited:

NJMX835

Do you think people would be interested in a setup like Woodward West? I've been thinking a lot about this lately coming off my trip to Ray's. An indoor/outdoor facility w/ ridable terrain for 6-60 year olds, guys and girls, and 16"-29" wheel bikes. Along w/ classes taught by great coaches, a dialed shop and a kick ass grille.

I know Woodward East isn't that far away but it seems more geared toward skate and BMX where West has some more mtb stuff. Places like Whistler as so far away. And the last time I was at Diablo, the ticket guy said something along the lines - "if you don't want to ride hard technical downhill trails then go someplace else" when asked if there were any blue square trails for our first run.

They tend to discourage people from riding there who aren't intermediate to advanced downhillers\freeriders because they are afraid of people getting hurt.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's why they don't have many easy trails there or are in any hurry to build them that I can tell.

They have one blue square going from top to bottom, but I'd challenge that classification based on the fact that one of the moutnain's better rock gardens is part of that line (lower breakout) & I've quite a few riders on rental bikes splatted all over it.

Edit:

This had been brought up over on the Diablo board a while back:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182341&highlight=hball

Last edited:

don

yes, but you must call it Don's Grille and the bike shoppe must have the extra "e" :)

seriously, i would think a "NJ Ray's clone, done as well as the OH Ray's, would be a great business. i think you must cater to the 6-60 crowd to make it profitable. and if you create a positive vibe (and leave the diablo-tude out) it will do really well. it would certainly bring some soul to NJ riding.

in contrast, if its just a place where only pro talent go to, i.e unridable for mere mortals, and we stand around feeling a little lost, wholly outta place, then you're going to have a tough time staying in biz.

Exactly - although I have a cool name picked out already and it's doesn't have mine name in it :D

From what I see in other sports and activities, the 6-60 mark would be needed - parents spend money on their kids and older people have money to spend on themselves. Then you'll have the hardcores in between that will be steady. Classes/Workshops for honing skills is very critical and is something I see on ski slopes, hockey rinks and most everplace but anything bike related save for Whistler camps.

Postive vibe makes riding so much more fun. Ray's has it and that's why pros to beginners keep going there. Going hand in hand w/ a good vibe is a setup for everyone to be able to ride there. Kinda funny was I noticed Taj and Aaron Ross were riding almost the whole park at Ray's. I followed Taj thru the XC course for a while until he did some crazy transfer into the big box jump line :hmmm: Aaron was riding the beginner box line a lot: from farting around doing non-pedal laps on it to tailwhipping the last box during a run.

I think something would be great in NJ - I feel there would be enough people (current and potential riders) but the rent/lease/prices are a high as the population!

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I was at Rays in Jan & there was mention of a big project in the works for NJ.:confused: Can only keep the old fingers crossed!! As far as Diablo goes, there are trails for begginers, my GF rides there and simply put, she sucks on a bike.

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I wonder if the places that have tried and failed in the past partly bc they've had a tough time dealing with insurance/liability issues. By that I mean, maybe the insurance is so cost prohibitive that its just not a profitable biz. I hope not, I'm just wondering aloud really...

On another topic... I just heard my dog blow ass. Nice dog. :rofl: TMI, I'm sure.

Top Bottom