Get Fit!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I have read and heard a lot about the importance of getting fit properly on a road bike, but never really bought into it. I recently hooked up with a used road ride, part of my "be in better shape at 40 than I was at 30" initiative. I was pretty sure I nailed the frame size, and everything else seemed semi-ok.

I mentioned the bike to JDog and he of course said "come get fit!". My initial impression was "f that". I haven't been on a road bike for over 10 yrs, but back then I never got fit, so why now? I was headed to Halter's today anyway, so decided to give it a shot.

I have to admit that I am now 110% convinced that being fit by someone who knows what the hell they are doing is imperative. He systematically tweaked every adjustment; all I had to do was spin away in the trainer. I got pointers along the way on posture, pedal stroke, and the importance of appreciating a good sunset. By the time he was finished I was pretty amazed at how comfortable I was, and how far off my adjustments were prior to walking into the shop.

So anyway, if you have never been fit before, give it a shot. You may very well be surprised at how much more comfortable you will feel afterwards. I heard if you mention MTBNJ in Halter's you get a free backrub after your fitting. I passed. :D

walter

Fourth Party
Don't your hands get sore after all those back rubs, mine do.

Hey, wait a minute..........:hmmm:

Frank

Sasquatch
returning the favor

I have read and heard a lot about the importance of getting fit properly on a road bike, but never really bought into it. I recently hooked up with a used road ride, part of my "be in better shape at 40 than I was at 30" initiative. I was pretty sure I nailed the frame size, and everything else seemed semi-ok.

I mentioned the bike to JDog and he of course said "come get fit!". My initial impression was "f that". I haven't been on a road bike for over 10 yrs, but back then I never got fit, so why now? I was headed to Halter's today anyway, so decided to give it a shot.

I have to admit that I am now 110% convinced that being fit by someone who knows what the hell they are doing is imperative. He systematically tweaked every adjustment; all I had to do was spin away in the trainer. I got pointers along the way on posture, pedal stroke, and the importance of appreciating a good sunset. By the time he was finished I was pretty amazed at how comfortable I was, and how far off my adjustments were prior to walking into the shop.

So anyway, if you have never been fit before, give it a shot. You may very well be surprised at how much more comfortable you will feel afterwards. I heard if you mention MTBNJ in Halter's you get a free backrub after your fitting. I passed. :D

ass kisser :rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is great, since I'm going there today to do exactly that.

Maurice mentioned to me he did this and had pretty much the same reaction.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
ass kisser :rofl:

Dirty mouth, clean it up.

92717238.jpg

Fabulous

ArmyOfNone

Ken that is awesome...:rofl:

Fit on the bike is absolutely critical. I have been lucky enough to have all my bikes set up by the man himself. However when i get on others bikes i can tell the difference and my body knows it as well.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Got 70 miles in today on the road, nothing on my body hurts that shouldn't. Cant stress how stoked I am with this service.

Note to self: Take a second water bottle when riding north against the wind.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
70 miles ... nice!

I took a bit of Art's advice today. Nice long ride, low intensity. Rode put of the driveway to Sandy Hook. My goal was 50 miles, but by the time I hit Long branch I felt great so continued on to the hook then took the scenic route home.

Completely awesome day. The only thing that sucked was that the waves were going off, it was painful to watch. :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The only thing that sucked was that the waves were going off, it was painful to watch. :)

I heard.. My friends were in the water at 7am.

The forecast for this morning said 29 degrees with snow.

I just wasn't feeling it... Then I heard how good it was..

rrrrr

KenS

JORBA.ORG
I heard.. My friends were in the water at 7am.

The forecast for this morning said 29 degrees with snow.

I just wasn't feeling it... Then I heard how good it was..

rrrrr

Belmar was definately the best, Bradley was a real close second if not just as good. Not a whole lot of people out either, no spot between Spring Lake and Long Branch had more than 5-6 peeps on it except 15th and the convention center, which were still uncrowded enough for set waves to go by unridden. Lots of jetties in Spring Lake were going off and empty.

I saw a guy get shacked in Belmar, wave spit and he fell just before hitting daylight. Real painful to watch as I was riding by suffering.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Way to jump right into it. Maybe all those Allaire miles are doing something after all...:D

KenS

JORBA.ORG
To be fair it was completely flat, except for a few detours on the way home through the hilly neighborhoods in Wall. I hope to work up to doing this same ride, but detouring through Highlands for the ride back. Thinking up past Hartshorne then loop around over the River and back onto Ocean Ave at Sea Bright.

I also didn’t push the big ring at all on the way north, and only about 1/3rd of the way back home. I totally see what you guys are talking about with the big gears, even on a flat road pushing that much gear is hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom