Becoming a roadie:

ArmyOfNone

Further, if you are ahead of another cyclist, you must use elaborate hand gestures to indicate that there is -- horrors! -- a pebble 75 metres up the road.
Ahhhhhhh! Pebble! So true
As a second example, when a mountain biker talks about going on a 'group ride', it means that a bunch of friends got together, regrouped at junctures of the ride, talked as they were riding, and probably had a beer or twelve together after the ride.
Yes bc mtbers rule!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
roundabouts are called traffic circles here in the U.S of Jersey

I could get technical but there is a difference between roundabouts and circles and we have both in Jersey....They just put in a roundabout down the street from me.

olegbabich

You also have to become rude, most Roadies I see never even wave back or say Hi. Oh yeah they are concentrating.

mwlikesbikes

That's cuz they know we're not one of "them". We've got the audacity to ride a road bike wearing a camelbak and a helmet with a visor.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
This is pretty funny, and pretty accurate, too.

Those silly roadies...:D

walter

Fourth Party
As a mountain biker, you've no doubt noticed it's quite helpful to have not just strong legs, but strong arms as well. Roadies, on the other hand, regard their arms as a necessary evil, their sole function being to keep their chests from falling onto the bike's stem.

It's a well-known fact that roadies bind their arms to their sides when not riding bikes, doing everything they can to facilitate the atrophy of these non-contributing limbs.

yup, I laughed at this one as well.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I must have a strange style cause the road bike bulks my upper body about as fast as DH or Motocross!?!?

BiknBen

"As a mountain biker, you've no doubt noticed it's quite helpful to have not just strong legs, but strong arms as well. Roadies, on the other hand, regard their arms as a necessary evil, their sole function being to keep their chests from falling onto the bike's stem.

It's a well-known fact that roadies bind their arms to their sides when not riding bikes, doing everything they can to facilitate the atrophy of these non-contributing limbs."

All very funny and somewhat true. I've riding on the road long enough to know. My upper body has changed significantly over the years.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
As a mountain biker, you've no doubt noticed it's quite helpful to have not just strong legs, but strong arms as well. Roadies, on the other hand, regard their arms as a necessary evil, their sole function being to keep their chests from falling onto the bike's stem.

It's a well-known fact that roadies bind their arms to their sides when not riding bikes, doing everything they can to facilitate the atrophy of these non-contributing limbs.

A few years ago, I actually had a teammate on my road team tell me that the upper body weight work I was doing was working against me: "Those shoulders are just gonna slow you down." The hilarity of this comment should be apparent to anyone who has actually seen me.:rolleyes:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
A few years ago, I actually had a teammate on my road team tell me that the upper body weight work I was doing was working against me: "Those shoulders are just gonna slow you down." The hilarity of this comment should be apparent to anyone who has actually seen me.:rolleyes:

1/3 of the women I know have more upper body mass than you..

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You also have to become rude, most Roadies I see never even wave back or say Hi. Oh yeah they are concentrating.

Seriosuly, just because I don't wear a matchy-matchy suit doesn't mean I shouldn't get a nod. You have to enjoy when you pass one of these guys though....

Nimrod

I'll take the other side of the coin here to keep it going

Yesterday, rain, ride gets canned.... Did what I had to do (church/shopping, etc.) Got the itch Can't sit around the house, the other guys are getting fast, putting alot of pressure on me

Busted out the road bike about 2pm, hill route to Port Jeff and back (including Thompson Street). Had a pleasent 40mph wind hitting me in the face the whole way to PJ, it was relentless.. 1:17 to get to Port Jeff , it sucked.

Almost had the wind knock me down more times thing I can count. When I was "exposed" (directly into the headwind) on Habor Road (Mount Sinia Habor), on flat ground, in the little gear, spinning like a demon and not going anywhere... Felt like a freaking hampster stuck on a wheel.

Got to PJ and Turned around to head home... oh boy this was not a good (ride) idea "For Sure". Got a monster tail wind yes... but I was in the middle of that stupid snow squal the whole way home (btw = 50 minutes )

People looked at me like I was Britney Spears!!! but got in 40 miles and 1600 ft of clmbing:hmmm:

Roadies are tough!

Last edited:

BiknBen

www.bikeradar.com said:
If you go with 29" wheels, you're a sap who believes everything he reads.

JDog ensured me that a rigid SS 29"er was all I could afford.

www.bikeradar.com said:
"Cross country" means you aren't very good at riding downhill, and sotell people you like to be able to climb.

I'm guilty. I'd rather ride up and take the chair lift down.

www.bikeradar.com said:
if you ride a mountain bike with no suspension, you'll be called a retro-grouch and you'll be rattled into a state of amnesia.

What is your name again? :hmmm:

www.bikeradar.com said:
it's becoming increasingly popular to have no gears, because it's simpler or something. The prevailing wisdom on this theory is that the only people who subscribe to it are those whose brains have been excessively rattled, due to lack of proper suspension on their bikes.

What is MY name again? :hmmm::confused:

Top Bottom