3 and a half hour loop at Baldpate?

phillychris498

Hey guys,
I'll be riding Baldpate this saturday for the first time, and I don't know any of the good loops there. Could one of you guys/gals describe a good, long ride there? Thanks!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What kinda average you setting? 3.5 hours is a long time, you can do all the trails in baldpate, water company and Washington crossing in that time.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well 3.5 hours entirely within Baldpate would be tough. You can do the whole park in like an hour. You'd be riding the same stuff over and over and likely bored out of your skull. The place isn't the most exciting place to ride to begin with.

I like to mix it up with a few other trails that are close by for variety.
Here's my ride from last week. 2.75 hours. Although there is a little too and from on the road because I ride there from my house.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/546779185
I can assure you that you will not be averaging 12-13 mph if you head up in to the Water Co trails. 8 mph is blazing fast in that place. It's Tight, twisty and very technical at times - Boulders, Rock gardens and 90º turns.

Here's another similar loop starting from Lambertville and also including Wash Crossing:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365153719

Last edited:

phillychris498

Well 3.5 hours entirely within Baldpate would be tough. You can do the whole park in like an hour. You'd be riding the same stuff over and over and likely bored out of your skull. The place isn't the most exciting place to ride to begin with.

I like to mix it up with a few other trails that are close by for variety.
Here's my ride from last week. 2.75 hours. Although there is a little too and from on the road because I ride there from my house.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/546779185
I can assure you that you will not be averaging 12-13 mph if you head up in to the Water Co trails. 8 mph is blazing fast in that place. It's Tight, twisty and very technical at times - Boulders, Rock gardens and 90º turns.

Here's another similar loop starting from Lambertville and also including Wash Crossing:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365153719

I think I'll do the first ride you linked. It seems nice. Thanks man! Are the trails at Water Co marked? I have never heard of those trails until now.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I'll do the first ride you linked. It seems nice. Thanks man! Are the trails at Water Co marked? I have never heard of those trails until now.

Yeah water co trails are marked. Not enough people ride the yellow trail (lower loop) though so it's easy to loose it. Awesome tech trail though. Follow my Garmin and you should be good. The red trail (upper loop) is easy to follow.

When you're exiting Baldpate there short road climb before entering the greenway trail. The Greenway will climb up to Water Co.

The entrance to Water Co is not obvious at all from 518. You ride along a fence/tree line to the left of the big red barn. Looks like someone's lawn. See screenshot below. As soon as you get to the woods you'll see blue blazes.

Last edited:

phillychris498

Yeah water co trails are marked. Not enough people ride the yellow trail (lower loop) though so it's easy to loose it. Follow my Garmin and you should be good. The red trail (upper loop) is easy to follow.

When you're exiting Baldpate there short road climb before entering the greenway trail. The Greenway will climb up to Water Co.

The entrance to Water Co is not obvious at all from 518. You ride along a fence/tree line to the left of the big red barn. Looks like someone's lawn. See screenshot below. As soon as you get to the woods you'll see blue blazes.

Awesome, thanks! Is the yellow trail worth riding? If so, which way should I ride it? Which way should I ride the red trail? Lastly, what road is the greenway trail off of?

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Technically bikes aren't supposed to be on the Greenway trail. Proceed with caution and be respectful to any pedestrians if you cross paths with any. Iv'e never had problems.

Water Co is multi use though.

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Red Trail Clockwise
Yellow Trail Counter Clockwise

But they are still good in both directions.

Yellow trail is definitely worth riding.

Here's a Map I made of the place.

Greenway trail is off Woodens Lane. Pretty obvious trail head with gravel lot. Super fun to ride it back towards Baldpate as it's down hill for 2.5 miles.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Wow that looks like an awesome route... Is the greenway trail an actual trail or road??

Trail ravaged by Irene and sandy. It was awesome before that, easily one of the best trails in the general area. Word is that it ain't anymore.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trail ravaged by Irene and sandy. It was awesome before that, easily one of the best trails in the general area. Word is that it ain't anymore.

Nah dude. It's good. Trees cut away, re-routes made. I rode it last week, was awesome.

Kevin doesn't even ride mountain bikes any more!

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Nah dude. It's good. Trees cut away, re-routes made. I rode it last week, was awesome.

Kevin doesn't even ride mountain bikes any more!

I know son, not taking my roadie down that, hence the word on the street. The word was old apparently.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My sources were wrong about the greenway trail. Broke the MTB out of retirement to see for myself. A few flow killers with the reroutes but fully rideable and awesome.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My sources were wrong about the greenway trail. Broke the MTB out of retirement to see for myself. A few flow killers with the reroutes but fully rideable and awesome.

I was there. STB222 actually exists in real life...

Conditions at Water Co were awesome too.

Kevin is a pretty damn good MTBer for a roadie

Last edited:
Top Bottom