Hi. I ride XC but am infatuated with DH.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I watch the Earthed films religiously and can tell you at any given point during the season who won the last race and who is in first place in the UCI World Cup DH series. But I have almost no inclination to ride DH or FR. Conversely I care far less about the World Cup XCO series (and national XC events) but ride XC every weekend and race XC all summer. Weird I guess but I can't be alone. Right?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I watch the Earthed films religiously and can tell you at any given point during the season who won the last race and who is in first place in the UCI World Cup DH series. But I have almost no inclination to ride DH or FR. Conversely I care far less about the World Cup XCO series (and national XC events) but ride XC every weekend and race XC all summer. Weird I guess but I can't be alone. Right?

they make drugs for this.

-

seriously i'd rather watch a freeride/DH video than a XC video too... and all i do is XC riding. don't get me wrong - there are some cool XC videos, but the freeride stuff is real cool to watch. freeride and trials.

oh and cooking shows.

dualfisted

I hear ya both. Watchin' XC is kinda boring, I'd rather be doing it. On the other hand, no job I've ever had would be cool with the idea of me bombing down the mt. and hurling myself off ledges every weekend, nor would I enjoy the hospital time. I've already been in a cast for a broken wrist twice over a year time frame and they dealt with that. If I did it downhilling I think they'd be less thrilled, they weren't too great with the idea that it happened skateboarding and I was 36 years old. Apparently everyone wants a fella to "grow up". WTF is that??? Anyway, I'm gonna ride XC and build up the lungs and legs, and I'll watch the DH/ FR/ trials to learn the more technical aspects and for sheer viewing enjoyment.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
XC is more dangerous than DH. I crash far more on my XC bike than on my DH bike, and the crashes are worse due to the lack of full-face helmet and body armor...

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
XC is more dangerous than DH. I crash far more on my XC bike than on my DH bike, and the crashes are worse due to the lack of full-face helmet and body armor...

true that. especially the "XC" in north NJ and Westchester county :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
xc would be far more exciting to watch if someone made some actual good xc videos. none of this groomed course, non-technical uci/norba crap. it's just more difficult to film xc because, you know, xc riders actually go places on every ride, instead of riding the same spot all day.... :cool:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
xc would be far more exciting to watch if someone made some actual good xc videos. none of this groomed course, non-technical uci/norba crap. it's just more difficult to film xc because, you know, xc riders actually go places on every ride, instead of riding the same spot all day.... :cool:

By definition, once XC becomes interesting to watch, most other people call it "freeride."

;)

NJMX835

I crash alot more riding XC also, I think it's because you get used to riding a certain way from the big bike & it translates over to your XC riding.

I have to remind myself sometimes (re:constantly) that I don't have 8" of travel, lol

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't tell my job I got hurt skateboarding or mountainbiking.

I never had any issues with employers (I work in computers so as long as one arm is functioning, I'm golden), but back when I raced MX I had my stock list of stories for the emrgency room staff (for insurance purposes).

Do you know how many times I fell off the roof cleaning gutters, fell out of a tree trimming branches, fell down the stairs, etc?

ALOT

Hey, I'm clumsy... :rofl:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
woohoo! this one time i committed insurance fraud, then i told everyone about it. it was great! ;)

don

By definition, once XC becomes interesting to watch, most other people call it "freeride."

;)

Haha - that sounds about right :)

It could be in the way XC is filmed. I always thought getting through some tech rocky sections on a climb and/or at low speed is rad but it's hard to caption that on video. Maybe film it at a low height, wide angle, following along like how they do skateboard flip/manual tricks or BMX tech street stuff.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Does anyone have Between the Tape, the DH film Clay Porter put out last year? I want to see that. The follow-up, F1RST, comes out at Sea Otter.

dhsean

Does anyone have Between the Tape, the DH film Clay Porter put out last year? I want to see that. The follow-up, F1RST, comes out at Sea Otter.

I have Between the Tape. It is OK, Clay Porter is getting a little too artsy fartsy since he is going to film school. This is coming from a graphic designer. 5 months of production? By the time his movies come out you already seen all the WC footage on other DVDs or online. I did just get Earthed 5.

As far as insurance fraud. The insurance companies are a fraud. No we don't cover that, no we don't pay for that, no, no, no. any chance to screw the insurance company should be taken. America's biggest industry and scam. Woo, rant over. :mad2:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I have Between the Tape. It is OK, Clay Porter is getting a little too artsy fartsy since he is going to film school. This is coming from a graphic designer. 5 months of production? By the time his movies come out you already seen all the WC footage on other DVDs or online. I did just get Earthed 5.

As far as insurance fraud. The insurance companies are a fraud. No we don't cover that, no we don't pay for that, no, no, no. any chance to screw the insurance company should be taken. America's biggest industry and scam. Woo, rant over. :mad2:

Earthed 5 is so good it's not even funny. Best one in that series since E2 I think. Maybe we can do a DVD list here on mtbnj and we can borrow films so that we don't have to buy every one. For example I have all the Earthed and Collective films amongst others, so if you wanted to borrow one for a month, I could swipe Between the Tape from you.

Top Bottom