29er Race Bike

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So hypothetically speaking...if, say, someone got a bonus this week and was interested in a 29er race bike, what would fit that bill? Thinking suspension fork and gears, but not FS, at least I don't think FS. Also the 29" crossmax wheels would sure be nice, I think.

So what do you guys think? Hypothetically of course.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Anything Paragon or above in the Fisher line.Kick ass performance and a total value.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So hypothetically speaking...if, say, someone got a bonus this week and was interested in a 29er race bike, what would fit that bill? Thinking suspension fork and gears, but not FS, at least I don't think FS. Also the 29" crossmax wheels would sure be nice, I think.

So what do you guys think? Hypothetically of course.

that must be a hell of a hypothetical bonus. :D

fishers are good, but knowing this hypothetical situation the way i do, i would buy a frame, wheels and build. that way, being that this would be a race bike, you wouldn't have to worry about swapping out stock components for bling ones. in the long run it'd be cheaper b/c you'd have the bike you want. hypothetically, of course.

my short list would be niner, van dessel

J-Dro

Air 9

0907largeAir9sideprofilesho.jpg

The Kalmyk

Moots or Seven would be my first choice but that is one f*#$in bonus....I think that bonus is coming my way soon:D

Last edited:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
A few hundred to bling a Paragon or just a stock Superfly is smart money.If you build ground up, a Niner would be the foundation.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hypothetically open to materials. I like the build-it-up idea, which Niner is a good candidate. I want to have top-end wheels from the start, what are the stock wheels on the Paragon or Superfuly? What's the difference between the Air 9 and the Jet 9? Hypothetically of course.

J-Dro

Hypothetically open to materials. I like the build-it-up idea, which Niner is a good candidate. I want to have top-end wheels from the start, what are the stock wheels on the Paragon or Superfuly? What's the difference between the Air 9 and the Jet 9? Hypothetically of course.

Jet 9 is full squish... 3" travel. Air 9 is a hardtail. Both are aluminum.

walter

Fourth Party
The Fishers will both come with Bontrager wheelsets, the Superfly having the better of the two. Bontrager is the house brand on Fisher bikes, wheels, cranks, stem, bars, seat and seatpost.

Air9 is Niners geared specific scandium hardtail, while the Jet9 is the short travel FS bike from them. Jeff, the EMD is the aluminum one, as per Niners site.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"

Air 9 = HT
Jet 9 = 3.5" travel FS

How about the Superfly?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
walter, scandium is aluminum, as far as bike frames go. it's an aluminum alloy, with a small amount of the rare metal scandium added in. for the most part, calling it scandium is marketing fluffery. sort of like how chromoly is not just chromium and molybdenum, but just a small amount of those two elements added to steel.

walter

Fourth Party
walter, scandium is aluminum, as far as bike frames go. it's an aluminum alloy, with a small amount of the rare metal scandium added in. for the most part, calling it scandium is marketing fluffery. sort of like how chromoly is not just chromium and molybdenum, but just a small amount of those two elements added to steel.

Sweet, thanks for the clarification, a lil' bit of something I did not know.

Sorry Jeff:)

Ok, now back to Norms hypothetical new bike purchase:D

Top Bottom