Sick....

lancerracer

You know what is terrible...getting 3 1/2 solid weeks of your training plan in and then losing a week because you get sick...now I have to basically go back to week 2. Blah...

Sorry for complaining. I was just looking to get a real solid block of training in before road season starts...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'ev found that ignorong the early signs of sickness and plowing through it means that I get sick for much, much longer. Now, when I start to get the tell-tale signs, I pull back or stay off the bike right away, and it often passes in 2-3 days.

Anecdotal, I know. But that's all I got.

trener1

I wouldn't be so sure that you lost that much.
Most people will tell you to take a easy week after a three week training block.
So basically you got a forced training week....

NJ Jess

sickness

Sickness is a speedbump from God almighty. If you are going to fast, God slows you downwith something trival. I know,....I have a sinus infection and was in the bed til 1pm for the last two days. Your Zeal for your bike will be blessed 10 fold if you stop and Reflect on what goodness you have in your life right now. Relax with a good movie, your family, heck,...look at old photos. See how far you have come. It's not all bad,...its just slower.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Great points Jess. I've been sick too, and I sure hope you didn't get sick on account of riding too close too my friendly snot rocket fire last weekend.

I've used the time off the bike this week to catch up with paperwork, sponsor thank you's and Jorba stuff, so the little mental change has given me some new drive to get out and ride ... :getsome:

lancerracer

My time off actually allowed me to do a lot that I normally cant do between riding, working, and going to class, so I guess getting sick wasn't too bad. And I know that I am supposed to have a rest week every 3 - 4 weeks, but I come from a track background...where there was no such thing as a rest week except for the week at the end of June and the 1st week of July...so the idea of an actual recovery WEEK instead of a recovery dat is still slightly odd to me.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
And I know that I am supposed to have a rest week every 3 - 4 weeks, but I come from a track background...where there was no such thing as a rest week except for the week at the end of June and the 1st week of July...so the idea of an actual recovery WEEK instead of a recovery dat is still slightly odd to me.
I have a friend who ran on a nationally-ranked team in HS, ran Div. 1 in college, eventually did 2:30 at Boston in the late 90's...and stress-fractured himself completely out of running by the early years of this decade.

Now he's a gung-ho road racer on the bike, in his third year of training, and he's gone through the same thing. The first two winters, he trained like a madman, and eventually his body broke down. This winter he's seeing the need for built-in rest in the training schedule. Pretty significant differences between running and cycling, on the training and racing ends.

Wazu

I'm sick. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa. I take Zycam as soooooooon as I feel it and it seems to do the trick most every time. What blows is that I spray Lysol on every single "touched" surface in my store and in the house every morning and I use hand sanitizer like 20 times a day and I still got sick! I guess I can't prevent what I breath in. Maybe it was the rock gym! (snotty little kid parties lol) NJ Jess and Norm are right. I'll give it a rest and let it pass but no more than three days. My body loves the rest sometimes more than the exercise even when I'm not sick.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
.... The first two winters, he trained like a madman, and eventually his body broke down. This winter he's seeing the need for built-in rest in the training schedule. Pretty significant differences between running and cycling, on the training and racing ends.

Back in my "madman" racing days, my body was really good at telling me that I was over-training and that I was not giving it adequate recovery. When my training regimen was over-the-top my resting heart rate would shoot up into the 60s (normal was mid-to-high 40s back then) and I could barely sleep. Monitoring my resting heart rate was a great tool in throttling my training regimen (yeah, I know, this is not a secret).

NJ Jess

Still sick

Well, today I'm still sick. Been using the Netipot and WOW what a difference. I'm not cured, but at least I can breathe. I tried Ziacam, but it wiped out my sense of smell for over a week,...scary. I rather 1/4 honey 1/4 vinagar and 6 Tbsp lemon juice mix . I do a Tablespoon every 3 hours. great on the throat, I tell ya. I hate not riding, but I did some easy chores today that will make my week easier. It's a balancing act.

Wazu

Ok, next day and I'm not sick. Weird. Believe me, yesterday when I shook my head there was a headache going on and the whole "dizzy sinus" thing too. It's one of two things. First, it could be cause I took the Zycam as sooooon as I felt it. Secondly, it might be from the night before when me and my climbing buddy were in the middle of a steep steep gorge in the pouring, freezing rain on his Rhino 4X4 crossing rocky raging streams and getting stuck and lost cause our original trail was strewn with fell trees. I came home frozen to the bone and I couldn't feel my hands. Don't ask me why but I love being put in positions where I have to dig deep to escape. I really do man. That was a freaking ball. Well today I'm gonna take the Zycam in case that was the reason for my sudden wellness. I'll be climbing today at Randolph Climbing btw if anyone wants to come....11:00 am.

Top Bottom