Bar Width ???

F

FallGirl1430

Hi Guys

I need your help. How do you determin the correct bar width for a mountain bike? I feel my Monkey Lites might be a tad too narrow. Last year during a race I was having a hard time getting through a few tight tree sections and I took off a little each side. Now my bars are 24 3/4 inches with the grips on. Is there a common number to use?

Thanks, Fallgirl ...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
That sounds about right for a woman. Most guys are running around that width too. Any wider and you will smash your hands from time to time

I have some 27" bars on the SS but without gears the wider bars seem to help on climbs. (i have ergon's on so my hands actually sit in a bit narrower)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Most handlebars should be the width of your shoulders, wider for SS or DH rigs

um.. wider.

My shoulders measure 43cm ctc and I ride a 44cm road bar. 44cm is about 17-1/4 inches. I ride mt bars a full 9" wider than my road bars..

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm a wider guy as well. I feel like I have so much more control that way. Plus, I loooooove catching trees and flying incoherently over the bars. Good stuff!

ArmyOfNone

My bars are about 26inches plus a wee bit. Youll learn quickly how not to hang yourself up on trees. Just dont follow me bc i have not quite completely figured that out. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't worry about hitting trees, pinky fingers are there to absorb the impact. only cokeheads need opposable pinky fingers.

F

FallGirl1430

Anrothar and NJ Jess and all, thank you for the response to clearing up the mystery on bar widths. It was very good information.

Hugs from Fallgirl :)

yuroshek

Most handlebars should be the width of your shoulders, wider for SS or DH rigs

handlebars should be wider then your shoulders. i run 29 1/2 on my dh bike. now if i had 29 1/2 shoulder to shoulder i would be huge.

everyone go measure your shoulders, you will be surprised.

but i do agree wider is better.

dualfisted

comfort/ steering

I've never measured my bars, I "worked" them down to meet somewhere in the middle of comfort and good steering. You make them puppies too skinny, you'll be sketch on the steering end of things, too wide=sluggish. As for slapping trees???? My bar ends either protect me, or send me flying down the trail without my bike. That happened today at Allaire as a matter of fact,,,,, first time I've had that happen in a while. I'm kinda an all or nothing kinda guy, so those bar ends are wonderful to that end, plus I dig having bar ends, I know a lot of people have abandoned them.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
alot of the xc racing specific bars are 22-23" brand new. I'm not sure how wide mine are, but I cut .5" or so off each end and I wish I didn't. I'm guessing around 24.5-25"

Top Bottom