The DIY thread - DIYourself

ChrisRU

What is the preferred routing of audio/video assuming enough HDMI ports on both the receiver and TV?
Ideally, you want all of your audio and video sources routed directly to your A/V reciever. You would then use the HDMI out on the reciever to send video to your TV.

Most recievers have no issues doing this, but there are some with reported problems. Make sure there are no filters or signal processing being applied to the video signal. Some recievers have processing features but you really want to pass native signal and adjust picture using your TV. You also want to make sure you have your TV configured correctly, what your seeing could be the result of your TV processing a recieved signal differently (e.g a 24p blu-ray signal vs a broadcast signal).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Definitely 4 or 5, going with a 4ft tub seems silly if its just for the sake of getting a stand-up shower also. Can do a double vanity with 4, maybe even 5....

4.5' tub is an option - thinking that for scheme 5, expand the shower.
there is a master bath, so the double vanity isn't necessary.
biggest problem with #5 is the 24" door - maybe recess the vanity
4" into the wall (it is a 2x6 wall), and go with a 28" door.

THATmanMANNY

my turn

2014-02-27183355_zpsab2be001.jpg

rlb

Nice Manny, guess you're going to need that wet saw back pretty soon! I can probably drop it off tomorrow if you'd like.

As for me, got my wall closed up and fan finished. Actually I had the wall closed up last weekend but I wasn't happy with the drywall. And for $10 a sheet there's no reason not to try again. So my brother came over this morning and with a second set of hands it came out much better this time. Much respect to the drywall people, seems to be more art than science.

Still a little more gappy than I'd like in the corners, but mud is cheap too :D

rlb

The paint in this room is fubared. The wall I took down was by far the worst, but the others aren't great either. In some spots the paint is chipped down a layer or 2, and in others it's cracked all over (I guess this is called "alligatoring"?). I was thinking I could skimcoat the bad areas and hope some good primer would somehow make it all work, but I think that's a stretch.

House is 1961, so lead paint is a possibility. For that reason I'm hesitant to strip it all. And it doesn't seem so easy to get a nice smooth wall after stripping. I was thinking 1/4" drywall over the rest of the walls (yay), open to any other ideas.....

Patrick

Staff member
there are lead paint test kits available at the big box stores - get it checked.
it it is, go from there (seal or abate?) -

fixing that paint sucks. i like your remove or encapsulate solutions.

rlb

If I 1/4 over it, does it matter one way or another if the paint is lead? I'd almost rather not know...

Patrick

Staff member
If I 1/4 over it, does it matter one way or another if the paint is lead? I'd almost rather not know...

not really. Maybe even trowel on some glue. it isn't a problem if it doesn't go airborne. I'd probably have it removed, and have a piece of paper that said it. replace any insulation behind where appropriate, fireblock, and replace cloth covered wiring.

my projects creep a lot......

I Ride Bikes

Just keep in mind that the new wall will be a 1/4" further out including around door and window frames and you will have more issues trying to trim the room.

rlb

I was wondering how to handle the doors, the window wont be an issue. I'm sure there's a way, just need to find it!

greeek32

You can rip extension jambs on a table saw or make up 1/4" stock to use if your sheetrock is exactly 1/4" out from the jambs. Remember if you're making it up make enough for all the doors and windows +20%.

ebarker9

Looks like test then, hopefully, remove. Speaking as someone with two layers of drywall in some parts of my house, I'd rather do over with a single layer than deal with extension jambs and outlet extenders.

THATmanMANNY

actually, we are going with a clawfoot tub so no tiled walls

How can I find the old floor tiles currently in my bathroom? It's probably like 8 yrs old. I really like them but I doubt I can find them again. I have one extra unused one. The only thing I remember it saying on the bottom is Made in Ecuador. Otherwise, I might lay some chic hardwood just under the tub and make it really stand out.

that peeling blue paint looks like one of my rooms. A little lead won't hurt.

Top Bottom