6 Mile Run Conditions

alex_k

If anyone takes 6MR today can you post up on the conditions? Hoping it has frozen over for perhaps tomorrow morning.

Most of the trails were frozen at 9am, but the fields were already messy under direct sun. I wish I started earlier. So I guess it will be ok between 7 and 9am.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today is the day 6 mile gets trashed. Following along jdogs comment.... If you ride here today knowing the conditions, you're an asshole.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So did a few miles today - Blue field is trashed, but is now frozen. Skip it and take the bridal path down the service area from the canal path.

once in the woods, it is generally dry except the low areas - I turned around before getting to the steel bridge - so no recon there.

everything was frozen, with some standing water. the tires were leaving nobby tracks in the softer places, and picking up some mud but not throwing it. not rutting at all.

with another night of low temps, and limited sunshine tomorrow, we'll probably be good to go.

Today is the day 6 mile gets trashed. Following along jdogs comment.... If you ride here today knowing the conditions, you're an asshole.

hey guys, kinda new here but I got a question for ya,, 1.why is that everyones saying not to ride 6mr ? because of the mud? I come from a moto background so its always fun to ride the some messy stuff(imo)....this course is amazing rode blue & red a few times , so why not the extra challenge of messy conditions ? LOOK I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A TOOL!!! JUST ASKING. 2.if it causes damage to the trail then,,why is it ok to go to another trail and ride in the same conditions ? 3. Is it because the messy conditions aren't good for bikes?(at the prices you would think they could handle winter riding). just trying to get a handle on things I love to ride all year but also don't wanna be a dbag to the trail maintenace community . thanks in advance:)

mandi

hey guys, kinda new here but I got a question for ya,, 1.why is that everyones saying not to ride 6mr ? because of the mud? I come from a moto background so its always fun to ride the some messy stuff(imo)....this course is amazing rode blue & red a few times , so why not the extra challenge of messy conditions ? LOOK I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A TOOL!!! JUST ASKING. 2.if it causes damage to the trail then,,why is it ok to go to another trail and ride in the same conditions ? 3. Is it because the messy conditions aren't good for bikes?(at the prices you would think they could handle winter riding). just trying to get a handle on things I love to ride all year but also don't wanna be a dbag to the trail maintenace community . thanks in advance:)

#2: It completely ruins the place. Imagine getting excited on a good day to get out and ride (or frozen) and now all that smooth single track is ALL ruts because of people riding through the mud.

If you're familiar with trails in the area then you know which ones drain well and which don't. For people who don't know, there's threads like this one. When we had snow last week in central jersey, Allaire had no snow and conditions were awesome.

When others are putting in hours of TM to maintain the trail it's a slap in the face when people go out and destroy them. That's mostly why people in this thread get annoyed with people riding 6MR when it's wet.

Last edited:
#2: It completely ruins the place. Imagine getting excited on a good day to get out and ride (or frozen) and now all that smooth single track is ALL ruts because of people riding through the mud.

If you're familiar with trails in the area then you know which ones drain well and which don't. For people who don't know, there's threads like this one. When we had snow last week in central jersey, Allaire had no snow and conditions were awesome.

When others are putting in hours of TM to maintain the trail it's a slap in the face when people go out and destroy them. That's mostly why people in this thread get annoyed with people riding 6MR when it's wet.

oh, ok I get it ...again not trying to piss off anyone , ecspecially the trail mainatence guys (you guys are the truth!!!!!!!) . I will respect it and not ride this trail out of respect for the mtb comminuty, ill just stick to my local trail till spring . in ONLY MY OPINION , Its confusing to me that folks on mountain bikes look for smooth terrain on mtb trails (I wouldn't buy a dirt bike to ride on paveroads) but I guess that's what makes the world turn "different strokes for different folks "...

thanks again for the heads up & speedy replies :):)

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh, ok I get it ...again not trying to piss off anyone , ecspecially the trail mainatence guys (you guys are the truth!!!!!!!) . I will respect it and not ride this trail out of respect for the mtb comminuty, ill just stick to my local trail till spring . in ONLY MY OPINION , Its confusing to me that folks on mountain bikes look for smooth terrain on mtb trails (I wouldn't buy a dirt bike to ride on paveroads) but I guess that's what makes the world turn "different strokes for different folks "...

thanks again for the heads up & speedy replies :):)

it's that certain trail systems offer different types of riding. 6mr is a smooth, flowy, and very fast. while ringwood would be a more rocky, technical ride. we try to make the most out of what each park has to offer.

also, different parks handle conditions differently depending on the soil make up, and grading. 6mr is a red clay and gets destroyed when ridden wet, while allaire is sandy which allows it to drain and heal well.

whenever in doubt about the riding conditions of a park, post up. usually a local rider will respond with an update.

if you are interested in trail maitainence check out the good folks at jorba.org

rlb

Its confusing to me that folks on mountain bikes look for smooth terrain on mtb trails

It's not an issue of wanting smooth trails, it's an issue of what this particular park has to offer. Head north and you'll find trails that aren't smooth because they have way more rock.

Six Mile doesn't have much in terms of technical challenge, but it does have smooth twisty single track that you can rip on. When that gets rutted up it ruins the essence of the place. Riding in crappy conditions also increases erosion and tends to widen trails.

The "Central NJ" trails tend to not handle wet weather all that well. The soil has much more clay content which means it holds on to moisture and it's way more susceptible to ruts when we get into the freeze/thaw cycle.

rlb

it's that certain trail systems offer different types of riding. 6mr is a smooth, flowy, and very fast. while ringwood would be a more rocky, technical ride. we try to make the most out of what each park has to offer.

also, different parks handle conditions differently depending on the soil make up, and grading. 6mr is a red clay and gets destroyed when ridden wet, while allaire is sandy which allows it to drain and heal well.

whenever in doubt about the riding conditions of a park, post up. usually a local rider will respond with an update.

if you are interested in trail maitainence check out the good folks at jorba.org

Hmm seems like it took me 20+ minutes to say essentially the same thing :D

Hmm seems like it took me 20+ minutes to say essentially the same thing :D

Rlb & others , well put....the explanation is exactly what I was lpoking for thanks guys , I get different trails offer different types of riding .......yes I have always notice how gast 6mr is & usally guys are om ht flying by me.....lol...so I'll consider this more of a train ing trail for cardio & cadence...thanks again mtb community

kidzach

As others have said, It is about respect for the people who donate hours upon hours of their own time to maintain mountain bike trails everywhere , not just this state. In an earlier thread I stated that when I first started MTB'ing . I rode in every weather imaginable even pouring rain, not knowing the damage I was causing. Good thing I did not know about Six Mile at the time , lol. Some parks drain better than others. Chimney Rock, although very rocky is one of the worst parks when it comes to drying out. Once all is frozen it's all good. Just be aware of the freeze/thaw days and once spring hits check trail conditions because places can be a slop fest early in spring.

Mildly Wild

When others are putting in hours of TM to maintain the trail it's a slap in the face when people go out and destroy them. That's mostly why people in this thread get annoyed with people riding 6MR when it's wet.[/QUOTE]

Besides this, (some) purist holier-than-thou hikers that don't like us anyway will point to the ruts as evidence that mtb's destroy trails. Riding in bad conditions just gives them ammo to get us tossed out of the parks.

Bizarro

ok... what about MOnday ya'll think?? I'm off and ichin' to ride other places besides Allaire.. which is good this time of year but need some speed... and or tech.. hummm... how about sourlands.. hummm...

Edjersey

Both will still be terrible conditions. Unless it freezes

I went Chimney this morning to hike from hawk watching lot yellow down Girbrille to orange, the only wet spot is the bottom of yellow cause there's a small stream there and the small water on entrance of orange from Girbrille. the trail was fine.. Tomorrow I will hike Sourland and will take some pics.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Besides this, (some) purist holier-than-thou hikers that don't like us anyway will point to the ruts as evidence that mtb's destroy trails. Riding in bad conditions just gives them ammo to get us tossed out of the parks.

This is a VERY good point.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions